Author Topic: Need help on finding out what the symbol means And some information on my seria  (Read 3687 times)

Offline King4544

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Welcome!  thumb1

Could you take a picture of the serial number, that’s in focus? Also pics of any other markings near the serial number, the full rifle and the receiver-barrel junction would help. Thanks.  :)

Offline King4544

• Newber
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:06:15 PM by King4544 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Certainly a frankengun there, do any of the parts other than the magazine and TG match?

The stock with that notch on the left side is most certainly off a gun with a rail (maybe a PU mount gun, coincidentally AAI was also the main importer of the PU mount guns.):

Or more likely a Navy Arms type 89 rail because the cut is pretty short:

I see no tapped holes in the receiver, so this gun it appears never had any mount installed.  Could be a bubba assembled stock, could have been an extra stock the distributor slapped on because it was in better shape than what came from China, or could have come this way directly from the refurb shop that last touched it before export.  It wasn't born that way though.

The S/N format is seen in late 'commercial' scrub/restamp.  I have some others in my files that are similar:

This gun had a different S/N when it was 'born'.  It likely had a different bayonet too as that blade doesn't look like it's hanging quite right.  Is the stock ferrule cutout a "U" shape ora "V" shape?

I have no idea on the stock stamp, never seen it before.  Where is that stamp located?

Offline King4544

• Newber
The stamp is located on the right side of the butt-stock.The cut out for the bayonet is in a “V” shape.The receiver,trigger and the clip are the only #’s that match no other markings are on the gun.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
The mark doesn't ring a bell.. most markings are done on the left side of the butt stock, although there are some on the right, it's just not as common. Also, not knowing the history of the stock, it could be a mark done state side by someone here...just an idea.  It does look like the mark was done after the finish was applied.

Kind of makes one wonder if it wasn't in an aftermarket stock with a top cover scope mount at some point and just reassembled back to original.. looks like it has a plastic black handguard.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
The stamp is located on the right side of the butt-stock.The cut out for the bayonet is in a “V” shape.The receiver,trigger and the clip are the only #’s that match no other markings are on the gun.

The stock may be cut for a blade bayo, I can all but guarantee the ferrule is U notched for a spike bayo.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline King4544

• Newber
 I really appreciate all y’all‘s help thank y’all very much

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
The rear sight - from somewhere other than the factory assembly line.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
That is certainly an odd duck....I am surprised that everybody is worrying about the shape of the ferrule for the bayonet...part of why it might not be quite snapped into fully upright position is that there is no bayonet handle...or spring....and it appears that it is riveted on.... I have never seen a riveted blade.

Ok...everybody Gibb's slap yourselves, and/or look in a mirror and yell McFLY!!

That rivet must be crimped on pert dern hard to hold that thing in place at all.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
The stock is obviously for a spike, (two pins vs. one) and the other features that are pinned into place and likely original would lead me to agree with everyone else that it is actually supposed to have a spike bayonet. Whether it should be riveted into place or screwed would only be visible by removing the rivet to see if there are threads, or their remnants inside the bayonet lug.   Which will need to happen to get the rest of the bayonet to join the party.

I am unsure which importers did the riveting...perhaps the data includes this importer as one that did that? It's a pretty uncommon thing to come across...so much so that I believe the same rivet has been on eBay for years...but nobody needs it, as unlikely as it would be to find another....it doesn't sell.

If you do decide to remove the bayonet to install its missing parts, and feel the urge to keep the blade bayonet, hit me up for a proper stock ferrule for it, I have at least a dozen I doubt I will ever need.....the ferrule that is on it, if it is V shaped...likely was modified...regardless, the bayonet won't close fully on a spike stock...so that would need to be replaced as well.  You probably would find it best to switch to a spike. :)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Dang, nice catch Justin. Didn't even notice it was missing the bayo handle!  It just looked weird to me.

OP, does the bayo stay in place when you pick up the gun or does it flop down?

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
What appeared to be a rivet, on another machine with a bigger monitor...seems to be a hex head bolt, going in from the left and held in place with a nut on the right....which when seeing it from the left side, sure looked like a peened rivet.

My bad. :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
I noticed all these issues including the funky RSL marking, or lack there of, its apparent we we need not ridicule the guys carbin.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
I hope I didn't give the impression I was trying to ridicule it. I was mostly surprised y'all didn't notice that.

Is the D sight leaf with the chipped center what you guys are referring to? It looks just like a regular D leaf, possibly a broken stamp caused the center to come out? It doesn't seem out of place to me for the era it most likely came from.  It would however be out of place on a blade SKS...if that is what y'all are pointing out.

I also thought the stock serial stamp had a rather HUGE font...was that a common size to see on the imports with the scope mount recess? I only have one like that...and it is unserialed. I was under the impression they just used replacement stocks when they did that...and didn't serial them to match.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
I have two of the /156\ "West Coast Rail" rifle stocks which were stamped with the Serial Number, with the star to the left of the SN.

And, I have three of the /26\ Navy Arms "Cowboy Companion" models with the replacement, non-SN'd stocks. I've never seen the Type 89 mount-style rifle stocks with the large font SN on them as shown on the OP's example.

The AAI NKC-M importer is a good clue to the OP's rifle. They seemed to have brought in a few, at least, of the barreled receivers to be built here in the States, (or not). The example that RM pictured first, (late 'commercial' scrub/restamp), in his post is mine. I never completed the rifle, so it's still in the same form that it came to me in...the barreled action.

The OP should look on the inside of his receiver and check the inside, bottom of the receiver for a corresponding stamped partial SN...

firstchoice
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:22:20 PM by firstchoice »

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
I hope I didn't give the impression I was trying to ridicule it. I was mostly surprised y'all didn't notice that.

We talked about this yesterday.

I doubt there is another site where the rifle can be dissected and discussed without some butthead talking smack about it.

This is why guys like me will stay here. We can learn things without some jerks' animosity.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper

No..  sorry.  Thats not what I was implying. 

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
We talked about this yesterday.

I doubt there is another site where the rifle can be dissected and discussed without some butthead talking smack about it.

This is why guys like me will stay here. We can learn things without some jerks' animosity.

Righto!  Thanks for the encouragement Larry. thumb1 

OP: if anyone said anything that appeared to ridicule your carbine, please accept my deepest apologies.  It's an odd duck for certain but in the SKS world, that is often the case (and it's not a bad thing at all!)  It's another example we can compare with when the next odd duck SKS comes along. 

Thanks for posting it, certainly helped improve my knowledge a little bit.  thumb1