Author Topic: First post about my first SKS  (Read 1674 times)

Offline MikeK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Newber
First post about my first SKS
« on: August 05, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
Hello all, I recently acquired a Norinco poly USA Atl. Ga SKS rifle. The number inside the trangle is 526
  The serial number is18057--K. I will attempt to upload a pic of the symbols that are to the right of the triangle.
  The rifle has a 20 inch barrel and all numbers match but doesn't have the 10 round factory mag. I have a 5 round pro mag in it and the rifle preformed very well.
 After joining and reading on this fine forum for a week or so this is what I think I know.
 My rifle was made about 1973 (maybe) but not imported until  sometime in the 1980's
 I can't find out about the 526 triangle number or what the symbols to the right of that triangle mean, also, what does the "K" suffix mean?
 Iam glad I came across the rifle, I just want to get the geek stuff out of the way before I start to really have some fun. Thanks in advance for any help. Mike

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: First post about my first SKS
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Welcome Mike!

You’v figured out most of it. The three ideograms are the numbers 5, ) and the word “type”, meaning Type 56.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
hi Mike and welcome. good to have you here. looks like a nice one, have fun with it.  thumb1 ----->  you might take a look in the "sks guide" above for info on it.  I'm to lazy to look up info on yours.  geezer1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »
Dont see that arsenal pop up very often.  How she shoot?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline MikeK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Newber
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
I ran 20 rounds through it last week in basically what was a function check, gun runs fine. I will get it on paper in the next couple of days. Hopefully my 61 year old eye's won't go to batty.

I've seen the dust cover scope mounts on line, are these worth a damn when fitted properly? If and when I do get a score on the rifle what can I reasonably expect in group size at 100 yards? Thanks guys, Mike

Offline martin08

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:45:51 PM »
Please save yourself the money, time and aggravation of the cover scope mounts.  None will hold zero.

Once you get it on paper, 3-5" groups are pretty usual.  These were made just to hit torso sized targets, and expectation for match results are unreasonable.