Author Topic: Stock cross bolt  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Stock cross bolt
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:10:35 AM »
     Is there ever any reason to remove the stock cross bolt (recoil lug) in an SKS unless your changing the stock? What is the best way to remove if you do want/have to change the cross bolt out (insert reason)? I have yet to find a tool that fits the threaded nut side... is there one? Thanks

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Stock cross bolt
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:33:48 PM »
     Is there ever any reason to remove the stock cross bolt (recoil lug) in an SKS unless your changing the stock? What is the best way to remove if you do want/have to change the cross bolt out (insert reason)? I have yet to find a tool that fits the threaded nut side... is there one? Thanks

There's no reason to take it out for any reason unless a stock does not have one. A pin spanner with the appropriate diameter pins is the ideal tool. Tapco makes (made?) an SKS crossbolt tool that looks like a short key with a couple of pins.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »
The key to certain trigger locks fits an SKS crossbolt like a glove.  It's what I use whenever one has to come off.  The only reason to pull one is to refinish a stock IMO. 

Don't make the mistake of getting a flat bladed screwdriver and trying to spin the other end.  The square mortise through the stock will offer some resistance, but in the end, sadly, the screwdriver always wins.  rofl

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »
Got it, thanks!