Author Topic: Front sight issues on 'new' paratrooper.......  (Read 6094 times)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Front sight issues on 'new' paratrooper.......
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
Hi guys, long time no see !! I just traded into a SKS that the previous owner had paratrooper'd by his gunsmith. The front sight post is some aftermarket job, not the original one, and he installed this Williams Firesight in the front post.
After I did the deal, I rode right over to my secret blasting spot, just to run a few quick mags through to test for function. It ate up several Golden Tigers and Silver Bears without issue, and shot very tight and consistent groups off the seat of my motorcycle at 35 yards.
But, it did shoot just a bit to the right, and I had no tools, so when I got home i tried to tweak it a little, and that's when I realized this fiber optic rig had a lot of play in it.
I did some googling, and found a number of complaints about this issue, saying the company should've provided some sort of shim.
Anyway, I really dig that bright red front sight, but the movement nags at me. I'm wondering if there are any good solutions, or if i should consider putting an original steel sight in there  (Expensive? Where to find?)  Or, should i just not worry about it?
Other than this, I like the rifle. I'd actually had my eye out for a deal on a jacked-up/ bayo-less, Tapco'd unit that I could have my gunsmith cut down to paratrooper size, and this one was already there. Plus it came with one of those funky red/brown jungle stocks, which was another bonus, since I always thought they were cool, and never had one.
BTW, this is a all-matching numbers, Norinco stamped, CSI Ont Ca. import, 22-million serial #, press-fit barrel. It has the 3 Chinese character stamp, and the arsenal is 636. Since the hook on the last 6 is longer, it appears to be a 686-A rather than B.
It's in excellent shape and appears to be very low miles.
I'd post a pic, but i'm still recovering from Photobucket's low blow.
Any advice or commentary is much appreciated......
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:44:09 PM by KILLDOZER »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Front sight issues on 'new' paratrooper.......
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
We have a new way to upload pics right to your post... Look for the option right under the text window when posting. 

As for the post... I dunno because I don't believe in those gadgets.  I would get an original and if you really have to have a bright color post.... Go to Walmart and select a nice color nail polish. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »
Sounds nice KD!  thumb1

Is the loose part the threaded sight piece that is installed into the front sight block or the windage portion of the front sight block itself? 

For photos, you can use imgbb.  You don't even have to have an account (though if you do you can go back ad edit, delete, re-upload, etc.)

When postiong click on this link:

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:28 AM »
I posted about the Firesight awhile back...never heard any response on how to deal with the issues it has.
I called their tech line...the guy said he had never ever heard of anyone having a problem with the sights...I asked how long he had been with them...when he said three months, I kind of gave up, and mentioned they should have put in a shim or something completely different, so the windage was adjustable rather than just jammed to whichever side the screw goes in.

There isn't much room to work with either...I tried tape...but havent tried firing it like this yet.  No shooting right now anyway...stupid forest fires.

If you come up with a solution post it. :)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »
Thanks,guys. I'll look into the imgbb option.
 The front sight itself seems perfectly fine, it's only the little doohickey that goes inside, that holds the tiny rod of fiber optic (and not the windage adjuster,either). As I mentioned, I got numerous perfectly good (short range) shots in without ever realizing it wasn't completely stationary, but I don't feel like I can rely on that, so I figured I'd run it by The Matrix here.
I wouldn't mind having an original sight to install, just in case, (either the entire assembly, or just the little sight itself), but are they easily found, or exorbitantly priced? Any point in the right direction on that would be much appreciated.
BTW, I'm already a fan of using bright nail polish on front sights, I have a bottle of neon lime green that I've used on several toys, but this rifle came with this sight and the couple times I've had toys that had them, I really dug them. I'd like to keep it, if there isn't going to be any big problems.
Thanks again for the replies.......

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
Pix would help....I cannot tell if you are saying that the whole sight is aftermarket with the Firesights added to it, or if it is an original front sight block with the Williams sight added to it.

If it is an aftermarket sight like a Prince 50, it should function the same, as they come with no windage drum or sight post, you transfer your existing one to them. So it should really make no difference....but I have never used one of those sight blocks, so I suppose there could be differences in how the WIlliams fits in there.

The Williams Firesight at least the front part IS the part you are talking about....you drive out the original windage drum after removing the sight post, then the Williams drops 'right in' (BS alert)....With a Yugo, they won't even fit in the slot, and I noticed a considerable difference in play between a Chinese FSB and a Russian FSB....IIRC the Russian was tightest...and likely what they modeled it from....too bad it was going onto a Chinese...with the Williams peep sight already replacing the rear sight. This was the only reason I gave the relatively cheap Firesights a chance, I already had the expensive half.  It is a pretty short distance to the front post for a peep, I thought it would help.... You have an even shorter sight radius than I do since yours is a para.  I have read some prefer the original post with the peep, and others who prefer the original rear sight with the firesight.  Crossing my fingers the combo of the WIlliams will eventually work out...

I think I eliminated the movement problem when I was trying to center it up...which created (or made obvious) my windage issue...it just pulls to whichever side you install the screw on, so I have the choice of wrong right and wrong left.  The rear sight does have some ability to adjust windage...so perhaps that is how most people compensate. Mine came from a poor 49 Russian someone messed with...and they loctited all of the adjustments down.  When I finally can get a chance to shoot it, I hope that it is just already in the ballpark...I believe I settled on tape, or perhaps fabbed a washer of sorts with some of the packaging it came in....a couple layers of spray paint on the attachment portion could also eliminate the play...and also won't melt over time.

Another thing that you might want to prepare for, is that the 'fiber optic' portions of these tend to heat up and melt enough to just fall out. I would think that a little super glue should hold it in place better, but I am unsure if that will affect brightness....since I haven't used it yet...time will tell. I have heard Williams is pretty good about replacing them no questions asked if this happens though....it is in many of the reviews as a problem.

Be also prepared, should you remove it, for it to be a much bigger pain to put back in than it should be. I think I got lucky on the initial install...and each time after having to futz with it, it was far more difficult.

Other than less than stellar reviews on this, I found very little help regarding these online....this might be the longest conversation about them yet.
Hopefully we can help each other out...you are the only other person I know of that has one of these things....when I posted here about it, the crickets were deafening!

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
Thanks Justin, yeah, the entire front sight is aftermarket. I don't know the brand, but it appears that original sight internals will install in it.(I believe these Firesights are primarilly made to install in standard,original front sights, so it would stand to reason that this aftermarket sight is compatible.....I think).
Just for S&G's, I recently stuffed a little sliver of bike innertube down along the side of the Firesight, and removed a bit of play, but this is obviously a half-assed "fix", and I haven't fired it since, so iI don't know how melt-prone the stuff is. But, I do recall that I have some heat-resistent engine gasket material around here somewhere that might work even better.
Anyway, I'm still hoping someone will point me towards someplace that sells part of, or all of, the front sight assembly.
Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on any developments.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »
Once the sun came up....and I put on my reading glasses....
I realized I actually did come up with a pretty close fix. I utilized a hard rubber/plasticish grommet or washer thing, and in my case mounted it from the left side, and got a secure fit, with a slight off center final resting place.  I am not particularly sure how well it will resist heat either...I probably will just get some very thin washers and try get it perfect.

Are you talking about just the drum and post, or do you want to try replace the entire front sight block with the bayonet lug and everything?  If you plan to do that, the barrel will need to be turned down to the size of the original sight...kind of a pain, and if yours indeed is a Prince50, it is designed to go over the thicker portion of the barrel once you have cut off the entire front sight and recrowned.

You should just search ebay for sks front sight and amid all of the front sight tools, you should be able to find what you are looking for regardless. :)

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
If all that headache is involved, I'm not going to consider an original front sight, this one seems more than adequate. But, I'd still like to find an original internal mechanism, if possible.
I'm going to try and hunt down that sheet of engine gasket material, and see if I can finagle an acceptable shim job. It doesn't have to be perfect, as I mentioned, the rifle fired nicely with the "free-floating" front sight, so if i could remove most of that play with something heat resistent, I think I'd call it good.

Offline MxwllBkr

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:56:29 PM »
I may not quite understand the issue but is it the threads are loose? almost like the sight is slightly to small?
if so a few wraps of  teflon tape will make those threads "grow" and should hold better........

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »
I may not quite understand the issue but is it the threads are loose? almost like the sight is slightly to small?
if so a few wraps of  teflon tape will make those threads "grow" and should hold better........

No, it's more like the sight part itself is too large for the adjusting screw, allowing the looseness. But, your suggestion of using some teflon thread tape still sounds like it might be a good idea !

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
Thanks Justin, yeah, the entire front sight is aftermarket. I don't know the brand, but it appears that original sight internals will install in it.(I believe these Firesights are primarilly made to install in standard,original front sights, so it would stand to reason that this aftermarket sight is compatible.....I think).
Just for S&G's, I recently stuffed a little sliver of bike innertube down along the side of the Firesight, and removed a bit of play, but this is obviously a half-assed "fix", and I haven't fired it since, so iI don't know how melt-prone the stuff is. But, I do recall that I have some heat-resistent engine gasket material around here somewhere that might work even better.
Anyway, I'm still hoping someone will point me towards someplace that sells part of, or all of, the front sight assembly.
Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on any developments.

The barrel: https://www.desertfoxsales.com/SKS_FRONT_SIGHT_POST_STUD_p/sks-001.htm
They are out of stock on the sight post though... free shipping I believe is still on, code "newsletter" at checkout.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Oli. I've been tearing my hair out trying to order the damn thing. First, it appears that the free shipping is for a $50 minimum order.
Then I went to see how bad shipping would be and it showed no charge. But, everytime i clicked to confirm the order, there'd be a different glitch.
Finally it kept telling me to select a shipping option. I had the USPS already option clicked, that showed no charge. I finally realized that option was just there for looks or something, and the real options were Fed-ex or USPS Priority box, at $8, which is absurd. This thing would ship in a plain envelope for a .49 stamp.
So,screw them.
Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Offline Justin Hell

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 12:53:35 PM »
actually, the plain envelope thing isn't a good idea, I ordered a sear recently, and it was shipped that way...inside a lil baggie and everything....all I got in the mail was the baggie and a little smear of cosmoline....I think the sorting machines chewed it up and swallowed it. I can only imagine the implications of a little chunk of hardened steel in the machines must wreak havoc. I got a refund and felt a little vindicated thinking thusly. :)

I have a chewed up FSB that was neutered by the devil himself it seems, I will see if I can drive out the drum. I am looking for sight posts, and all I have is an orange Tapco it seems.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:21 PM »
Ah,yeah, now that you mention it, I do recall reading that the sorting machines can wreck an envelope with a small object inside. But, i've mailed little nothing items before, i just tape them firmly to some thin cardboard or heavy paper, then fold it up and stuff it in the envelope. That seems to protect the innards well enough.
Anyway, thanks again for the reply....

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
Just checking to see if this works......(this is the rifle in question)
https://image.ibb.co/hkPhkQ/SKS_PARA.jpg

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »
Highlight your link and then hit the button above that looks like a picture to put the img tags on it.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
HA ! That worked ! Thanks LC !
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:38:02 AM by KILLDOZER »

Offline KILLDOZER

• Rifleman
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »