Author Topic: Dan Wesson Model 15  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Dan Wesson Model 15
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:46:23 AM »
Not a common handgun name to see....  Dan Wesson was very popular in IMSA metallic silhouette competitions and they still hold many records.. these were designed by the great grandson of the Wesson from Smith and Wesson and today the company is owned by........ CZ thumb1 and the newer DW715, basically this model, with just some slight updates done is now some kind of expensive, like 4 digit expensive. In their pre-CZ years they have been known like Magnum Research and a few other boutique makers and dabble in some of the healthy magnum rounds most main stream manufactures won't touch, like the supermag calibers.357, .375, and .445, .460 Rowland/.45 Win Magnum.

Another distinction Dan Wesson can lay claim too, is the pistol packs.. you could buy them and easily swap barrels, barrel shrouds vented or non-vented, sight designs, from a 2inch to a 8, 10 or even a 15 inch barrel or anywhere in between, even a pistol with up to 4 different barrel lengths in a case. It's also one thing that makes them very accurate, you can adjust the barrel gap and pre-tension the barrel with the spanner nut at the end, and it just takes a few minutes to go from short concealed to a long barreled hand howitzer. As I understand, with a little work, the barrel and shroud from the DW715 in current production is interchangeable, so barrels/shrouds are still available. The only complaint I have ever heard is the cylinder release at the front of the cylinder... thats about it, no, it won't shoot, no, it jams or locks up, no, it falls apart. Strength wise, an old guy who did some silhouette shooting told me, they are every bit as strong as the other main stream revolvers of the era, if not more so considering the use and abuse some saw in competition. Keep it clean, set the gap right and keep that barrel nut tight and it will eat any ammo on the market, send it where you want it and out last me.

I had handled one of these my uncle had many years ago and it shot and handled great......fast forward to today.. I found one, it's a late 70's-early 80's model with an 8 inch barrel, in the .357mag caliber, in great shape, all most a perfect sexy blued finish and it's tight, sitting all lonely in a fitted storage case...so, happy late birthday to me, it ain't lonely anymore.. :)

This shows the nut on the barrel, remove it, the shroud and barrel will both come loose from the frame.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Dan Wesson Model 15
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:40:45 AM »
nice find! looks like something Dirty Harry would use.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »
RM approves!  Nice wheel gun GM.  thumb1

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
Very nice, saw one come up for sale up here recently - it didn't last long before being snapped up.
Canadian...eh!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
That’s a beauty GM!  thumb1

Lotsa great information too. I didn’t know I needed one until now  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:37:51 PM »
I think you do need one...  thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem