Author Topic: Marlin in 45acp and 9mm  (Read 7777 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Marlin in 45acp and 9mm
« on: September 30, 2016, 02:35:38 PM »
Yup... Marlin made them. The Camp 45 or also Model 45 and it even uses a standard 1911 magazine. I have several Model 9 or Camp 9s, and yes, they are in 9mm Luger. The 9mm variant uses a standard issue S&W 59 pistol mag. These were made from '85 to '99, and never had a big following, but are now getting exceedingly hard to find and have gotten fairly expensive. The Camp 45 are very difficult to find, the 9mm seems to be the most common, and there is also a third, the Model 922 in .22 Mag. I have a line on one locally, so I can have all 3 models. Also, a deluxe version of the three was also available with a checkered stock.

The important thing is, if purchased, buy a quality recoil buffer and a quality recoil spring. I've seen the back blown/cracked out of the rear of the receiver and the stock crack because it was shot with out a buffer. All of mine have the BlackJack buffer and Wolff recoil springs of various weights, even got some spares, depending on the ammo. These work on the blow back principle, the bolt I'd hazard a guess, weighs maybe a half pound, it's a healthy hunk of steel. In basic operation and design, it's just like a Marlin Model 60 only centerfire and supersized. One nice thing I love, they don't have the black rifle look, they maintain the classic look. You can attach a scope or red dot and due to very little, if any recoil, make excellent long rifle starter weapons.

Camp 45, I have an old 4x shotgun scope thats gonna go on it. :)

Camp 9/Model 9, one is still in the box, I brought as NOS from a dealer. Not shown, but in the box, the factory even included a mag limiting plate to limit the magazine to 4 rounds....for hunting purposes. :o

Several pistol caliber carbines to choose from thumb1

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:35:48 AM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Marlin in 45acp and 9mm
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 04:40:12 PM »
I like 'em  thumb1

A blowback operated action in .45 ACP is quite surprising.  I guess the longer taller receiver of a carbine vs. a pistol allows for the heavier bolt and high force spring required to allow such a powerful round to operate in a blowback design.  Are the stock springs and buffer okay or did you replace them?

Thank-you Enabler-in-Chief  fart1  Another firearm for my wish list  pullhair1 chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
I do try P32....I cant help it, I must "Enable"  :)  Get one of each thumb1

The stock springs are kinda weak..and the factory buffer is known to crumble and fall apart, and can even jamb up the trigger works. Wolff makes springs up to 21 pounds, these can be trying when cocking due to the short cocking lever. The aftermarket buffers are a more durable material, kind of like a roller skate wheel. Its also recommened to check them every so often for wear and damage.

This would be a perfect rifle if it had a machined aluminum trigger group in my opinion :)  They skimped on that, it's a plastic material, so you have to watch your cleaning solutions to prevent chemical damage thelat would render it usless. :o

And for the tackycool guys, bullpup stocks and plastic stocks were or might be still available, even flash hiders were specifically made for them rofl

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 05:26:59 PM »
This would be a perfect rifle if it had a machined aluminum trigger group in my opinion :)  They skimped on that, it's a plastic material, so you have to watch your cleaning solutions to prevent chemical damage thelat would render it usless. :o

NO brake cleaner, Check!

And for the tackycool guys, bullpup stocks and plastic stocks were or might be still available, even flash hiders were specifically made for them rofl

Tacticool, tactifool, tackycool...did somebody say flashlight-bipod-foregrip-laser-espresso maker!?

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »
I always wanted one of those but by the time I got around to being able to get one they stopped making them.   Now on the very rare occasion I do see one used I don't have the money or somethign else is just way higher on the list.  Nice rifles! :)

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:50:39 PM »
GM, those are just downright cool. Like Phos, now I have yet another couple to add to my ever growing list :)) ( but hey if any of us actually finished all on our lists...it would be a sad day I believe) That .45 is the bee's knees.

I've been on the lookout for a Ruger PC9 for years now. ( My favorite every day carry/ "utility" pistol has always been my good ole faithfull P89 DC)  Sharing mags with a carbine really tickles my inner prepper. Gotta admit though..they don't look even 1/2 as sleek as those Marlins. Saw 1 bout 6 years ago and thought it a bit high and sadly have not run across 1 since.
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »
Well the trio is complete  :) Just before Christmas I got the final one, the Marlin 922 in 22WMR. It is the Deluxe version with the stock checkering and included 4 magazines. The magazines from say my 917V 17HMR will fit, but the last shot bolt hold open ability is lost.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:44:51 AM by Greasemonkey »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 03:21:54 AM »
Terrific trio!  thumb1 That's s .22 that packs a wallop!

Offline Shotz90s

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
The one issue that they had with the .45 camp gun was that on occasion the stocks would crack. If you find one, make sure you check it over carefully. I have one that resides in my safe and is fun as hell to take out once a year. Not sure why but I like to keep mine cherry LOL

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
The one issue that they had with the .45 camp gun was that on occasion the stocks would crack. If you find one, make sure you check it over carefully. I have one that resides in my safe and is fun as hell to take out once a year. Not sure why but I like to keep mine cherry LOL

The stock cracking issue is typically due to the buffer. Stock ones are known to break apart, leaving the rear of the receiver unprotected and can allow the bolt to impact it. It can break apart enough to fill the trigger assembly with bits and pieces and cause issues there too. The bolt is a healthy hunk of steel, it alone might weigh 8-10oz or more, due to it's blowback design and can actually crack and bust the rear of the receiver, rather quick.. Also the factory recoil springs are a little on the weak side. Near as I can find out the factory recoil spring is rated for 11lbs. I ordered a hand full of BlackJack buffers and Wolff recoil springs of of both 16.5 and 21 lbs. In the one 9mm with the 21 lb spring I've run the NATO and +P ammo with no issues. The 21.5lb spring does require quite a bit of force to cock the rifle given the small little charging handle. The other 9mm, with the 16.5lb spring is set up for the mundane wimp stuff like Blazer, WWB and whatever else.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »
Hey GM,

What's the story on the lever gun at the bottom of this photo?

I've seen your Henry, but I don't remember you talking about this one.  Is it a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum??  drool2 drool2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
Thats my problem child.. it's in 1894 in .357 Magnum

I bought it about a year after the Marlin/H&R merger with Remington and the illustrious Freedom Group. It made 2 trips back for repair, the first time, new out of the box after cleaning, it locked up, lever open and the second time, 2 months later I think, it locked shut with and would not fire, to add to it, it had a .38 SPL chambered in it. After two trips back, it works fine now, but there is that lingering doubt, a kind of hate and discontent hanging over it  bat1

It's kind of on GM's death row....the second I can trade that hussy off for a Henry in .357, it's gone, see ya wouldn't want to be ya.. thumb1

Thankfully, I have had no issues with the Marlin 917V I bought, it's been flawless and accurate, but how bad can a company screw a simple rimfire bolt action up rofl2

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:38 AM »
Hey GM,

Is this the Camp 45 that you had posted about in this thread?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/721991581

The Photobucket mess has deleted so many pics, so wasn't sure. I just thought this little carbine would be kinda neat to go along with my Norinco 1911's.

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 02:00:04 AM »
FC

I fixed the pictures..  thumb1 fricken fotoflunkit  Yup, thats one, thats the deluxe with the checkered stock. I found mine local through a local trader board. Over the past few years... these have really gone nuts in price. The 9mm and 22WMR usually run 450+, the 45acp, I have seen well north of 700. One of the big draws to them is the fairly easy ability to convert to a suppressed weapon, I ran across a pair of suppressed ones at an Class 3 dealer.

If the mags will fit a 1911, they will fit the carbine.

If you go for it.. good luck  thumb1 and if you get it  banana time    first things first, install a new spring and buffer.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
Thanks GM! I'm going to watch and see how serious they get. It looks to be in fairly nice condition. If I do happen to get lucky on it, I'll check back with you on exactly where to start and ask for the entire upgrade list needed to toughen it up for some fun in the sun, now and then. I've got plenty of Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat .45acp 1911 mags, so I'm good to go on those. I wonder if Marlin would still stock those Walnut finger extensions for the 1911 mags? Or, the complete magazine? If Marlin made them for 15 years, and ended production in 1999, they may have a few left? All they can say is no, I guess. I see you ended up with several Marlin .45acp mags. Did they come with the rifle? Or were you able to pick them up since then?

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »
you do have an interesting collection G-Monkey. thanks for sharing.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
Thanks GM! I'm going to watch and see how serious they get. It looks to be in fairly nice condition. If I do happen to get lucky on it, I'll check back with you on exactly where to start and ask for the entire upgrade list needed to toughen it up for some fun in the sun, now and then. I've got plenty of Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat .45acp 1911 mags, so I'm good to go on those. I wonder if Marlin would still stock those Walnut finger extensions for the 1911 mags? Or, the complete magazine? If Marlin made them for 15 years, and ended production in 1999, they may have a few left? All they can say is no, I guess. I see you ended up with several Marlin .45acp mags. Did they come with the rifle? Or were you able to pick them up since then?

firstchoice

That lot of mags in the picture came with it when I bought it. The only 1911 mags I had to this point were 2 Auto Ordnance mags that came with my 1911. Marlin makes or has very little products for them anymore, especially since Remington/Freedom Group got ahold of them and made them suck. Sometimes a lot of NOS Marlin mags gets on GunBroker, Numrich sold "official" Marlin mags for 70 couple bucks several years ago. Most all the products you see or find is either NOS or aftermarket products. Which is why I buy a spare part here and there....once the market is gone.. thats it.

you do have an interesting collection G-Monkey. thanks for sharing.  thumb1

Thanks... thumb1 I like to mix stuff up.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 08:53:06 AM »
 Whew, almost to the minute of my last post yesterday, a bidder came in and doubled the current bid on that Camp .45! The current high bidder has an auto-bid on it and is still the high bidder. I don't know what his limit is, but the money's approaching the "other nice guns-for the same money" amount. And still eight days left on the auction. I would've like to had that Camp .45, too.

Oh well, I've got my eye on a couple of early RPB M10 9mm OB pistols up for bids right now. Also, been looking for a Savage 99 .308 Lever Action. Starting to get that buying bug back again. My wife's going to be happy about that... fart1  bat1  nea1  I can hear the "sweet nothings" now... bat1 bat1 bat1

firstchoice