Author Topic: Precision Degree Rifle  (Read 9277 times)

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
Precision Degree Rifle
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »
These are pics of the Navy Arms Precision Degree rifle. According to legend they were used to test the accuracy of Chinese ammo and were compared to National Match Garand's (see ads). The following pics were posted by jimmyc on gunboards and other forums

Each rifle has special markings

The following is the paper work that came with each rifle.

These rifles were advertised in Shotgun News. The ads go from 11-1-1989

to 3-10-1990

Looks like they sold out before the catalog deadline as they were never in any of the catalogs

Looking for pics of other Precision Degree Rifles.

8)...................................Joe

WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Power Surge

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: Precision Degree Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:11:55 PM »
This is my personal holy grail for finding one of these. It blows my mind that there is only one known to exist.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »
Im sure they out there.... Just have to carefully look at the markings on bubba guns because thats likely what happened to them.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »
Im sure they out there.... Just have to carefully look at the markings on bubba guns because thats likely what happened to them.

I do. I have checked every SKS on GB and Armslist for almost the past year looking for those markings.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 09:34:12 PM »
My apologies if I missed it but do we know what the Chinese did during the manufacturing process to accurize these carbines?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:42:16 PM »
No...  Could have been a marketing ploy for all we know.  "Accuracy devices" for testing ammo usually do not look like complete weapon yet alon have a complete stock.   ???

How did they bolt it down?  How can you test the accuracy of ammo with so many variables not eliminated?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:49:16 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:04 PM »
All I'm saying is.... If you wanna "test the accuracy of each new batch of ammo", you dont use 400 regular rifles.   I'm not trying to poopoo on this one... I just find it HIGHLY doubtful.   

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 09:52:38 PM »
I chuckled when I read this! It's a fascinating concept and a very nice looking carbine displayed here. Regardless of whether these are efficient at testing or nor it should have considerable collector's interest and value because of the designation.

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »
I think there is something else about this gun that is pretty significant too....   it's got a 28 serial year identifier, which I believe is the highest number on any gun before they started using the actual year in the serial.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 10:17:30 PM »
We have '29's recorded from 416

Offline Power Surge

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »
We have '29's recorded from 416

Ah...well I tried, lol.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »
But then again.... I hear the new word for data is 'lies'.    rofl

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 05:15:48 AM »
Joe, is this one on your list? If so, what is it's name?

These were pics that I pulled off of a GunBroker auction many years ago. I copied them because I had never seen one like it before, or since. The /\ stamp looks like it might be /416\, but the pics aren't clear enough to make that call. It's a Poly USA import and Serial Number 1807141 with a J after the SN. All shown SN's match.

Pinned barrel, milled trigger group, sight leaf with a "3".

The scope mounting system looks fairly thought out, but I don't know how effective it was.

I wish I knew more about it or had better pics to show. Food for thought, anyway.

firstchoice

Offline XXXSKS

• HOT DAMN Commercial SKS EXPERT YeeeeeeeeHaaaaaa
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Marksman
  • AC/T84 "D" KS-30 MC-5D "M" NR Sporter 63 93
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »
Nuttin special about that one first. It does have a perty slick receiver cover scope mount. That threaded assembly pulls on the latch pin and drives the cover forward locking it in place. That mount has the potential to rezero after removal.

8)..................Joe
WELP ....................HORK SPIT........................

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 08:20:35 AM »
Fascinating set up, I've never seen one like that. I have a scope like that.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »
Same thought here, Danny. Although the only difference in the rifle appears to be for the scope mounting, it definitely takes it to a different level. The receiver is machined to accept the scope mount/receiver cover. And this particular one piece design of the scope mount/receiver cover is something I've never seen before or since. I would have liked to have one in my collection, just for these differences. Who knows, it may have been a fairly good system for re-zeroing?

The phosphate-looking finish on the Bolt Carrier lends a bit more credence to the theory that it may be a /416\ manufactured carbine.

firstchoice

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
Those scopes are only a 4X but that is ample and within the capabilities of the carbine. I have ours set at 200 yards and it does very well at that distance. Actually it comes back very close to zero when I remove it to clean the bolt/carrier then put it back on.

That's an odd looking set up and it looks well thought out. I would like to spend a morning shooting that one! Thanks for posting this one.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 12:36:46 AM »
Reading those add's is one step below the Canadians posting their Russians. It just wrong !  :)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Reading those add's is one step below the Canadians posting their Russians. It just wrong !  :)

+1!  Just reading through the latest issue of Firearms News, (formerly Shotgun News), there's little to nothing in comparison between the two eras. Now, lots of AR's, some US-made AK clones, and one lone ad from J&G for the Chi-Banian SKS. Those definitely were the "good ole days".

firstchoice

Offline SVT-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2024, 07:22:26 PM »
This is my personal holy grail for finding one of these. It blows my mind that there is only one known to exist.

There is more than one...

The one the OP posted is mine. I bought two of them from the actual importer Thomas Yu in February of 2007. Later I sold the second that I bought from Mr. Yu.

Here are pic's of the one I sold. I can't remember when I sold it, but it was probably a few years later. These were but a few of the nice Type 56 carbines I got from Mr. Yu..