Author Topic: I have an odd scope mount receiver cover question  (Read 493 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
I have an odd scope mount receiver cover question
« on: July 25, 2023, 01:47:21 PM »
Okay, I have this Chinese SKS scope mount receiver cover posted for sale and have gotten curious as to what mounting setup actually goes to it. It is a low profile (non see-thru) rail, no logo, but similar to the Red Star and Barska ones as far as how it is mounted except the front is riveted instead of a screw. The rail is more like a dovetail setup, but is 14mm wide instead of the normal 11mm/3/8" of the dovetail. Too big for a 3/8" ring and too small for a weaver/picatinney ring. I'm sure someone here knows. Pics below

My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: I have an odd scope mount receiver cover question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 02:16:05 PM »
I had one very close to that... in my pile of junk years and years ago.... it pissed me off oh so bad.. I fixed it. bat1

But... to answer your question GG..  its probably made by Cobray, heres the box, maybe a different revision.. I know the rail was a really weird size that pretty much fit nothing standard, the box was actually more handy than the mount.. I probably still have that. rofl2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
 rofl rofl rofl You certainly did 'fix' it.

Anyway, I know the Cobray ones like you mention, they were slightly smaller than weaver or picatinney, say 19.5mm instead of 20mm, and came with their own rings. The rings won't fit on a standard weaver or 1913 rail. I had one of those not too long ago I got off of eBay to put on a scope only SKS setup I sold. Got good money for it too, LOL.
Of course that one could have been another variation as well, you never know with the Cobray stuff.  :)
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 05:08:34 PM »
Remove the dust receiver cover.
Mount your choice of rails by:
Draw (scribe) a center line on the cover.
Place the rail and mark your holes to be drilled.
Drill correct size hole to be tapped.
Tap the holes to fit the button head screws you choose.
Replace the rail and screw in the mounting screws. Lock tight in place.
Grind the screws off from the bottom side so they are flush with the curve of the cover. Needed so the bolt won't jam on them.

Remove the take down pin.
Replace the dust receiver cover. MUST be on for the tap threads to line up properly.
Tap (do not drill the hole) a 1/4-20 (or finer if you desire) hole all the way across and out the other side.
Use a grade 8, 1/4-20 x 1 3/4"L button head. MUST go all the way through and out the left side to anchor the cover.
Screw in the button head. Best if done right to left. Looks better in my opinion.
Cut to length, meaning flush with the receiver, cold blue and you are done.

Now you have a LOW mount, that will return to zero, every time you R/R it to clean your rifle.

Happy Shooting
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.