Author Topic: Russian Bayos and Stocks from Canada  (Read 745 times)

Offline SimplyShane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Russian Bayos and Stocks from Canada
« on: June 27, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
Hey guys,

New to these files but some of you may recognize me from the Romy mutant  build I started on AkFiles.  Anyway since it seems there’s no Romy gear around right now, I found a Canadian source (Hero Outdoors)  that has Russian Blade bayonets and Russian stocks. With the currency conversion and shipping, it’s still cheaper than anything I’ve found locally or online. 

I searched and couldn’t find much recent information, but my question relates to importing these to the US. With the current war, I know most Russian imports are currently banned. Does this include coming from a NAFTA country or only directly from Russia. The whole country origin definition seems very vague to me so I figured I’d ask before risking some money.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Russian Bayos and Stocks from Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 11:37:55 AM »
Hi Shane, welcome to the boards.

Firearms and firearm parts are typically handled differently for importation purposes.

Because of the Voluntary Restraint Agreement (VRA) signed in 1992 between the US and Russia, *no* Russian/Soviet firearms *not* on the VRA list can be imported into the United States. Doesn’t matter the country of origin, ‘5 years away from a proscribed country status’ or any other of the more arcane rules that may or may not apply.  VRA is the supreme rule and makes them unimportable.

Of course, Canada was not involved in the VRA and continued to import Russian SKS45’s through the mid 2010’s before they finally clamped down as well. Having some 25 additional years of imports means they have more (or at least more recently) parted out guns and a more healthy supply of OEM hardware. Coincidentally, We saw this same phenomenon in the US with the influx of Chinese type 56’s from Albania from 2012 to 2019 or so.

Individual Firearms parts except for barrels and receivers are not typically regulated by ATF, but the State Department exercises import/export control of them via something called ITAR. Through ITAR, the government can require individuals and companies to register (at cost of $1500 to $3000 per year) as ‘manufacturers’ if they ‘deal’ in these types of items.  Typically, importing a single stock or other component is not considered as ‘dealing’, to get on the radar it takes higher quantities & $’s, but technically the government can drop the hammer any time they see fit.  Penalties could be as benign as customs confiscating the shipment to a bad as the government knocking on your door investigating a violation of ITAR, treating you like an arms dealer.

Having said that, most guys that buy from Canada get what they ordered with no issues.  I have never heard of anything worse than customs confiscating an individual package.  That tiny possibility of something worse happening always exists for firearm users in general though, so it’s certainly something to keep in mind.  thumb1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 02:30:35 PM »
Wow, that was a thorough overview RM  thumb1

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 02:34:25 PM »
Thanks so much for the information. I feel it’s worth the risk for roughly $100.  Just thinking if I should bring in a couple bayos to help offset the shipping cost (though that may hit bigger issues then possibly). I’ll mull it over. 

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »
Thanks so much for the information. I feel it’s worth the risk for roughly $100.  Just thinking if I should bring in a couple bayos to help offset the shipping cost (though that may hit bigger issues then possibly). I’ll mull it over.

I ordered more than one part at a time, and more than one of each item, when I ordered parts from Russia (before the 2021 invasion). Some of those orders included bayonets. I suspect Canadian shipments would have less scrutiny than Russian shipments, but I’m sure it’s also a bit of a negative lottery as they don’t scrutinize (x-ray and check against the description) every package. My anecdotes are merely that.

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 04:09:15 PM »
Thanks again for the replies!  The information is definitely helpful

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 10:58:25 AM »
Well just placed the order.  We shall see what happens. Kept it at 1 stock and 1 bayonet as I don’t have time to try to sell any additional right now. Can’t complain for roughly $100

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 11:57:15 AM »
That's a good price for a stock and bayonet, was that including the shipping?

I've bought a few stocks and Magwedge rails from Canada over the years. Had one stock get confiscated by customs (or something), but the seller was on GunBroker and sent me another one right away at no extra charge. I paid about $124 total just for the stock.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 01:21:21 PM »
Including shipping it came to $109 and change.

Also got notification it’s already shipped.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 01:26:05 PM by SimplyShane »

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 02:02:10 PM »
That's a great price Shane and the exchange rate isn’t even as good as it used to be!!

You’ll receive everything safe I’m sure. Let us know how it turns out!  thumb1

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 06:09:30 PM »
Will definitely let you know. Looks like it shipped UPS with a delivery date of July 5th.

Also for got to mention the stock comes with the upper hand guard. If the pic is accurate should have the sling mounts and trigger spring. Can’t tell if it has the butt plate.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 07:09:22 PM »
Hi Shane, welcome to the boards.

Firearms and firearm parts are typically handled differently for importation purposes.

Because of the Voluntary Restraint Agreement (VRA) signed in 1992 between the US and Russia, *no* Russian/Soviet firearms *not* on the VRA list can be imported into the United States. Doesn’t matter the country of origin, ‘5 years away from a proscribed country status’ or any other of the more arcane rules that may or may not apply.  VRA is the supreme rule and makes them unimportable.

Of course, Canada was not involved in the VRA and continued to import Russian SKS45’s through the mid 2010’s before they finally clamped down as well. Having some 25 additional years of imports means they have more (or at least more recently) parted out guns and a more healthy supply of OEM hardware. Coincidentally, We saw this same phenomenon in the US with the influx of Chinese type 56’s from Albania from 2012 to 2019 or so.

Individual Firearms parts except for barrels and receivers are not typically regulated by ATF, but the State Department exercises import/export control of them via something called ITAR. Through ITAR, the government can require individuals and companies to register (at cost of $1500 to $3000 per year) as ‘manufacturers’ if they ‘deal’ in these types of items.  Typically, importing a single stock or other component is not considered as ‘dealing’, to get on the radar it takes higher quantities & $’s, but technically the government can drop the hammer any time they see fit.  Penalties could be as benign as customs confiscating the shipment to a bad as the government knocking on your door investigating a violation of ITAR, treating you like an arms dealer.

Having said that, most guys that buy from Canada get what they ordered with no issues.  I have never heard of anything worse than customs confiscating an individual package.  That tiny possibility of something worse happening always exists for firearm users in general though, so it’s certainly something to keep in mind.  thumb1

How do you remember all this stuff ?  chuckles1 Yeah great review RM  Ree Member   chuckles1

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 04:26:37 PM »
Alright guys. The Russian stock and bayo came in. The bayo is meh condition in my opinion, had to clean a bunch of rusty chunky cosmoline out of the spring. 
The stock I would say is fair to condition. Some obvious wear and tear but amazing fit with matching handguard plus came with the trigger spring, butt plate and sling mount.  I was surprised at how fast it came from Canada (shout out to Hero Outdoors).  Ordered 6/29 and in my hands on 7/3.  Anyway, here’s some pics:

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 04:58:30 PM »
Glad to see they came in so quickly and arrived safe and unbroken!

Too bad about the pitting on that bayo, but we've all certainly seen worse.  Final product looks pretty sharp!  Honestly looks like a Romy from afar.  You need a nice Romy leather sling now.  thumb1

Offline SimplyShane

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 05:07:29 PM »
It seems Romy parts are nearly non-existent lol