Author Topic: Where were the Letter Series guns made?  (Read 4931 times)

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Where were the Letter Series guns made?
« on: February 17, 2019, 02:14:55 PM »
Title pretty much says it all.

Any chance they were manufactured or assembled at the Molot facility in Vyatskie Polyany?

Were there many facilities like Molot plant  in Kirov Oblast?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:18:12 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Where were the Leter Seties guns made?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 02:22:58 PM »
The word on the street is they weren't assembled at Tula even though all the parts were made at Tula.  Unfortunately, this and a $5 bill will get you a triple venti latte at Starbucks. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Where were the Leter Seties guns made?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »
Copied from an old post by OldOutlaw on sksboards.

Probably should have posted this before, but tried to avoid a lot of controversy. How ever it comes from Russia.
The answer he gave me he received from a current factory over there. So, take it only for what it is worth to you.
I believe what he has written me.

I had asked him to research the I and K Letter guns I owned. I wanted to know when they were actually made. It seems to have always been assumed in 1955 or 1956. So, had to work through the language barrier, but got it done. 
Here are three clips of text.

1.Only Tula(ТОЗ) and Izhevsk (ИЖМАШ). It turns out that the small additional batches produced after the collapse of the main production in Tula and Izhevsk in 1956 until 1959.You met carbines 1949-1956 production with the letters "И", "K"? If you have a photo of the rifle, please send me ... The photo must include the year and the year on the cover of the receiver.

Thank you.

2.From me!     Glad to hear from you!! When said additional party, do you mean not made by Tula? Someone else?

3.Sorry have not written. There is information on the letter code serial number XX XXXX "И" and "К". Just as I was expecting, it is an additional party made in 1957 (" И"), 1958 (" K ").

Good luck.

Just so you all do know, this Gentleman is a member here, but has not been back for a long time. Unless he may just be reading. His name is Kazbek. A lot of info on the Russians is given in his past posts. Worth while reading.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
Re: Where were the Letter Series guns made?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:43:22 PM »

Do you mean like industrial facilities that stamped out everything from knives and forks to backhoes?
Then yes.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »

Do you mean like industrial facilities that stamped out everything from knives and forks to backhoes?
Then yes.

No.

I am referring specifically to companies that manufactured significant numbers of small arms during the war and  continued to do so after the war for a civilian market.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:51:54 PM »
I bought a Romanian of Double O / Old Outlaw from the Survivors Boards.. He was a legend. Always loved to read his posts when a newbe would post up before going through the introduction process   tommy1

Offline jaroslav

• Cadet
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »
I bought a Romanian of Double O / Old Outlaw from the Survivors Boards.. He was a legend. Always loved to read his posts when a newbe would post up before going through the introduction process   tommy1

What happened to  Old Outlaw ? Has he died? There was a funny argument between him and B.B. on the SKS Survivors Forum.

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:24:53 AM »
If you go back far enough, you'll see that everyone has had their own special run-ins and skirmishes with him.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 03:16:26 AM »

What happened to  Old Outlaw ? Has he died? There was a funny argument between him and B.B. on the SKS Survivors Forum.

Still alive and kicking as of early December on Gunboards (Stevan1) where he hangs out on the Swedish Mauser forum.

Ah yes, the traditional hazing ritual for novices who forgot to introduce themselves...one of the seven cardinal sins deserving of a quick descent to the seventh circle of hell  rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 04:49:56 AM »
If you go back far enough, you'll see that everyone has had their own special run-ins and skirmishes with him.

You don't say....  I had respect for the man, till we opened this forum.. Then things got... Uhm, err.. well, we agree to disagree.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 11:41:51 AM »
Why is it that there is some issue with this forum being created?

You folks seem pretty honest about things. Haven't run into any curmudgeonly types yet.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
He rode the "otherforums" bus of thought, on dating the Chinese, and quite a few other things we pointed out. During that time all of those discussions were happening, he leaned to their side a majority of the time. We started this forum to avoid persecution, ridicule, and the fact we were pretty much shown the exit, do not pass go, do not collect $200 from the "otherforums"... When we did it, he bucked up and.... like I said, we agreed, to disagree.

Think of our questioning like one would question the good book...and the ramification from that.. only, we had valid data to support said questioning.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
This forum was created by former members of SKSBoards who were banned for questioning the status quo.  SKSBoards didn't take kindly to it, we've been accused of everything from stealing their info to totally making *everything* we have up (which is hilarious when you see *both* of those views come from the same person in two different threads). 

In short, they have their views and we have ours.  Our conclusions are backed by the data we've meticulously collected.  Their views are mainstream 2005 interpretations and really haven't changed much regardless of any new info coming out.  See their views on the DDR debacle, "you can't date anything other than a /26\ gun", teak Yugo SKS stocks, and suspension of NVA sks production due to operation rolling thunder for examples in inanity. 

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 02:51:44 PM »
He rode the "otherforums" bus of thought, on dating the Chinese, and quite a few other things we pointed out. During that time all of those discussions were happening, he leaned to their side a majority of the time. We started this forum to avoid persecution, ridicule, and the fact we were pretty much shown the exit, do not pass go, do not collect $200 from the "otherforums"... When we did it, he bucked up and.... like I said, we agreed, to disagree.

Think of our questioning like one would question the good book...and the ramification from that.. only, we had valid data to support said questioning.

I'm of the school of thought that one should question things, including the good book.
If you do it honestly, do your research, and don't do it just to be a jerk, you might just find a lot of truth.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »
This forum was created by former members of SKSBoards who were banned for questioning the status quo.  SKSBoards didn't take kindly to it, we've been accused of everything from stealing their info to totally making *everything* we have up (which is hilarious when you see *both* of those views come from the same person in two different threads). 

In short, they have their views and we have ours.  Our conclusions are backed by the data we've meticulously collected.  Their views are mainstream 2005 interpretations and really haven't changed much regardless of any new info coming out.  See their views on the DDR debacle, "you can't date anything other than a /26\ gun", teak Yugo SKS stocks, and suspension of NVA sks production due to operation rolling thunder for examples in inanity.

I signed up over there about the time I joined here.
Seemed a little stuffy.

Honestly, I don't think I've been back but maybe once.
I like a relaxed atmosphere where I can ask a newbie question and not  be made to feel like an idiot.
Not saying I'm not an idiot, I just don't like feeling like one.....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline newchi

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
Can anyone point me to molot made guns other than the ppsh and "Molot" brand that started in the 90's?
My google fu is failing me all i get are motorbikes

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 07:36:37 PM »
I've never seen or heard anything other than the PPSH.. I'm sure now they are just a commercial enity vs a full fledge arsenal.  They do build quite a few Mosin variants.

Another would be Tulsky.. they do some SKSs I believe.

Offline Matchka

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »
LarryD (et al), 'zactly why I joined SKS Files. I looked around/checked out the other forums, read a whole lot of unnecessary chastisement and general rudeness to be quite frank about it. No bueno, except for here. I still consider myself a newbie in the general sense; despite getting my mitts on my first SKS in 1969. I too was put off by the "2005" school of thought re the venerable SKS. I've way more than a handful of these things and wish that I lay everyone of them disassembled, laid out on a few tables and have the truly 'knowledgeable ones' go over every piece & part with a fine tooth comb to sort out the 'keepers' from the 'what were you thinking?' There's literally volumes of information here - read and post! Anyway, that's my dos centavos on the matter.  :)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 09:04:14 AM »
RE: The Other Boards-

Case in point...this conversation, well the original one....would be a totally different one there.

No matter how well laid out a question/theory/speculation about a subject comes up, you likely would hit a brick wall of condescending one line responses that fall back on older less informed questions/theories/speculations...that somehow became canon to some of those folks. I feel that the higher than normal quantity of LEOs lend to an attitude akin to being pulled over and questioning the cop about the law. Posting a newbie question they were tired of answering, or answering it as a slightly broken in newb would oft get you into the topic of hot discussion behind the scenes in sections unavailable to those who don't PAY (they like to say donate).  If you happened to pay however...you were discussed in PMs...and/or another section that was for the upper echelon.  It seems as if they spend more time policing (lack of a better term) an SKS discussion board than they do discussing the SKS on an SKS discussion board.

Post without introducing yourself...it's like accidentally taking a bite of dinner without realizing your hosts pray before eating. If you survive that faux pas, every time you post, you best not have your elbows on the table...and the topic of conversation had better be appropriate for what's for dinner.  bat1

The notion of a possible third arsenal in Russia building the SKSs that don't fit the norm would be a bloody mess there...some blood would boil, some would clot, some would cease to circulate, ultimately leading to bad blood.

While deep down...as we all know, they are undelivered pre-ex-DDRS, via a broken Egyptian contract.

rofl

sorry to add to the derailment...I find the original subject very interesting.