Author Topic: Great vid on PLO Israeli capture SKS’s  (Read 506 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Great vid on PLO Israeli capture SKS’s
« on: December 12, 2022, 12:27:38 PM »

I actually have pics of this rifle from back when I saw it on gunbroker. Was the only example I ever saw with Arabic trench art (a carved date). This guy does a great job on the history (probably better than I did). Thought I’d share.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Great vid on PLO Israeli capture SKS’s
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 05:21:03 PM »
Decent analysis. He even got the dates right on the year 9 thru 12 type 56’s.  thumb1

To bad he didn’t actually talk about the carbine itself. The laminate sticks with blade + spike cutouts are unique among all SKS carbines as are the blued bolt carriers. I disagree with him that they are just another ordinary plan plain Jane type 56, if they were how could we tell they are IC carbines?  nea1

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 10:27:46 PM »
Decent analysis. He even got the dates right on the year 9 thru 12 type 56’s.  thumb1

To bad he didn’t actually talk about the carbine itself. The laminate sticks with blade + spike cutouts are unique among all SKS carbines as are the blued bolt carriers. I disagree with him that they are just another ordinary plan plain Jane type 56, if they were how could we tell they are IC carbines?  nea1

True that

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 05:22:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  thumb1

Really well written video and I enjoyed the history.  8) I definitely chuckled along from about 16:22-16:55 with his poke at nation building and the failure of nations to learn from history.  read1 doh1 rofl

It’s definitely more of a history video with the artifact as a centerpiece in the story than an analysis of that artifact and its distinctive characteristics. That’s probably good for the longevity of the video on YouTube  ;)

I agree he could have gone over the unique, mostly cosmetic, characteristics. At 0:36-0:42 he said: “Well, mechanically it’s just a Type 56 carbine, but historically it’s so much more.” I really don’t disagree with that statement.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 08:13:14 AM »

... The laminate sticks with blade + spike cutouts are unique among all SKS carbines as are the blued bolt carriers.  nea1

My first SKS was one of these. A single shot (stuck gas piston) for $72 bucks. I never learned what it was until decades later. Looked not used much. Maybe a cache capture? PAX

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/arab-12-mil-laminate.html
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798