Author Topic: Mid-50 light refurb value  (Read 1404 times)

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Mid-50 light refurb value
« on: February 08, 2021, 03:20:03 PM »
It's kind of crazy right now, but what do you think the value of mid-50 matching light refurb (looped ear latch 45 deg gas tube, no signs of BBQ, hardwood factory refinished stock) is? I suppose we can try by the relative value to say ubiquitous 1951 light refurbs? 10%, 20%, 30%?

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Mid-50 light refurb value
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 02:56:17 PM »
I would say similar to other refurbs.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
Yeah, pretty much what pcke said. If you are on GunBroker, I would check the GB SOLD listings. It could be anywhere from $800-$2000 depending on how good one is at wording and pics to place a good ad.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
Thanks, so not much extra value.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 03:40:47 PM »
Thanks, so not much extra value.

I would think an early '50 or a '49 would bring more, but a lot of it is speculative. For a sale ad, how good are your marketing and picture taking skills? A well laid out ad for a more common Russian SKS will, more likely, bring more than a poorly laid out ad for a more valuable one.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »
Don't forget to put "Holy Grail" in the title when you sell it on Gunbroker.  Instant extra $1k right there!  rofl

But seriously, if it's not an as-issued gun, and it's not a '49, transitional '50, or a Izhevsk '53/'54 it's not going to bring much in the way of a premium over a general light refurb in similar condition. 

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 06:00:45 AM »
Thanks. I'll let it go, even though I'm very tempted since it does have some transitional features. They want more than 900 OTD for it. I'll better off finding a real early 50.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Thanks. I'll let it go, even though I'm very tempted since it does have some transitional features. They want more than 900 OTD for it. I'll better off finding a real early 50.

That's actually not too bad of a price for any clean Russian.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »
Well, I broke down and got it. This whole SKS thing is addictive. Who would have thought?  rofl

The metal parts are all in good shape and appropriate. There is already another mid-50 ИЯ prefix rifle in the database. The only thing that looks funny is the fonts on the stock. It's cool that the stock was originally from '50 to as the original sanded stamp is still seen but the new fonts are kind of suspicious. Bubba was here? The finish is also not what my other ones are but it's hard to tell on refurbs sometimes.

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »
(1) serial on stock looks OK to me; (2) stock finish is typical VK-1 lacquer.

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 04:49:50 PM »
(1) serial on stock looks OK to me; (2) stock finish is typical VK-1 lacquer.

This^
The fonts look kind of funny on some of them, it seems they use different sized stamps at times for what number they needed. as seen with the #6 on yours.
I actually have one with the same font style 2 on the stock as yours does.  thumb1

Try to ignore the over exposed lighting on this one, was trying to show the old Tula stamp with the pic.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 05:41:10 PM »
Thank you, guys! Very cool  thumb1

I'll post some pics once I get some free time in the other topic https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=4041.0  I think this is a new addition to the 1950 transition spectrum (between variations 3 and 4). Already stamped Tula star but still with milled eyelet receiver cover takedown latch.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 07:06:11 PM »
saweeet
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 12:25:32 AM »
Well, I broke down and got it. This whole SKS thing is addictive. Who would have thought?  rofl

The metal parts are all in good shape and appropriate. There is already another mid-50 ИЯ prefix rifle in the database. The only thing that looks funny is the fonts on the stock. It's cool that the stock was originally from '50 to as the original sanded stamp is still seen but the new fonts are kind of suspicious. Bubba was here? The finish is also not what my other ones are but it's hard to tell on refurbs sometimes.

For stock finish, see this post on gunboards forums:

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/54-tula-sks-wax-finished-stock.1143079/