Author Topic: Cross-Hairs  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Cross-Hairs
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »
Just replaced the hairs with .005 tungsten on another vintage target scope. This one was a 26" Fecker external adjuster.

OH THE HUMANITY!

Cant even see the darn stuff.  The 4 screws that hold all 4 sides have to be broke loose and tightened with a razor blade.    dead2

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
Re: Cross-Hairs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
LC, why do you torture yourself like this? Jeesh, slots so small a razor blade is your screw driver. My eyes ain't that good no more. Where's that bottle of red vino? I know that will help my eyes!!! Well, my heart anyway, so the Doctor tells me.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:44:43 PM »
To turn a $400 scope into a $800 scope of coarse.   :)

I have some extremely super fine screw driver sets also.... no dice.  Razor blade only.  They also put a drop of super glue on each screw at the factory... sort of like using loctight I guess.

One of the worse parts is reinstalling the bell and seeing very very fine bits of dust on the hairs... take apart again blow off..still there.. take apart.. use super soft/fine tiny paint brush on the hairs..reinstall.  All the while knowing the hairs i cant even see can break if I breath too hard.   pullhair1

.005 is the finest crosshairs available.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 09:18:01 PM »
All better....  enjoy pops (slumberingbear)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »
Good job LC, I'm like Marcus, your eyes are much better than mine. If I need some scope maintenance I know who to contact.  ;)

Where's that bottle of red vino? I know that will help my eyes!!! Well, my heart anyway, so the Doctor tells me.

Marcus

Marcus I need to talk to my Cardiologist, see about getting me some of that fruit of the vine!  dance1

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 11:11:36 PM »
Wow! 0.005" (127 micrometers) is some really fine wire.  Love that Fecker scope :)  Bet you could trim twigs off of that tree with that mounted to the right .22  :o

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:27:57 AM »
They are impressive scopes.  My Father collects these, and he bought this one (like a few others) with broken cross-hairs for about half price. The cross-hairs are mounted to a short internal tube located at the far rear of the scope... it slides right out after taking off the rear eye piece bell.  These can and are mounted to high caliber rifles aswell. The scopes are spring loaded front/back to absorb recoil.

There are plenty of modern scopes out there that can do just as well, but on a vintage rifle most want a vintage target scope.  Even the USMC 1903 snipers had an Unertl variation, and I believe the early Rem 700 sniper rifles also.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
How do you re-seal them, isn't humidity and dust a problem?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »
How do you re-seal them, isn't humidity and dust a problem?

Not these vintage scopes...  they simply have a thick grease on the threaded joints.  They were never gas filled or anyhting.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:32:17 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 04:36:48 PM »
Well I have learned something else today, thanks L}{C.