Author Topic: Literature Exchange  (Read 567 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Literature Exchange
« on: February 06, 2024, 03:04:57 PM »
Is there any member interest in a literature exchange?  I've got a few books & magazines that I haven't cracked open in many years.  Instead of letting them collect dust on my bookshelves prior to one day being thrown out/donated during an overzealous spring cleaning, I thought other members might be interested in borrowing them.  I'm not sure the exact format, but we could do it a few different ways I think. 

One thing I was thinking was a sort of lending library where people post what they have and what they want and other members match up and each send their material out to the other for a predetermined period of time.  The material would then be returned once that period is over with.

Another would be a round-robin style lending chain where Member A gets the item first from the owning member, then Member B requests it and Member A ships it to them, then so on and so on until at some point in time the owning member gets it sent back. 

Media mail still exists at the USPS and retails at ~$4 for the first pound or ~$7 for 5 lb., so not super $$ intensive hopefully.  Of course, as with all things, the first guy that disappears with my full set of guns magazines from 1962 would ruin it for everyone.

If there's any interest, let me know and I'll post up what I have when I get home from work tonight and we'll see what we can make happen.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Literature Exchange
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 07:14:59 PM »
If you have an extra copy of Steve Kehaya & Joe Poyer's "The SKS Carbine" I'd take it off your hands. I have mostly aviation reading, especially WWII for barter. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 08:48:07 PM »
If Rm doesn't have one I do, will have to track it down (In a box still from moving) to see which edition it is though.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 08:55:09 PM »
Went downstairs and found it, it's only a 2nd edition so, not sure if you want it or not.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 11:38:08 PM »
Went downstairs and found it, it's only a 2nd edition so, not sure if you want it or not.

I'll take it Alan. PM me if you want to engage in some shenanigans. PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 11:48:56 PM »
rm, by chance do you have any Guns & Ammo form the '50's or '60's. I thought it was them that had the first 2 facing pages with a big ad for some Army Navey outfit, tons of WWII & Korean milsurp. Everything from small arms & gear to jeeps in a crate, halftracks I saw P51's once. I had a copy but good luck finding it. Just curious, PAX
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 04:51:18 PM by echo1 »
  You need a crew  

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 04:28:00 PM »
I don't have any Guns and Ammo unfortunately.  I do have some old Guns Magazine from 1955 through 1966 with another smattering from 1976, but they are all in PDF format.  Unfortunately they are all extremely large files and cannot be transferred very easily across the 'net w/o using a file transfer / dropbox type service.  I could stick them on a CD pretty easily though.   Here's an example I posted a while ago of something I found in one of the PDFs: https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3755.msg41779#msg41779

I do have hard copies of old American Hunter Magazines from around that time period though.  I haven't even read them all myself, they are in a large box in the garage waiting until I find time to get to them.  I bet I have 40 lbs of just that magazine though.  We found them when cleaning out my father-in-laws uncle's attic back in 2016.  They were safely stored away in a cardboard box in a corner waiting for someone to find them.  I also scored a really ugly SKS stock and about 6 or 7 incomplete parts guns (part of an Arisaka, an almost complete old French Berthier, old Winchester model 68 .22 single shot w/o a bolt, stuff like that)

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 04:53:56 PM »
Arisaka T38 or T99. I could use some T38 bits to make a short rifle. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 04:59:20 PM »
I looked it up when I first brought it home, but haven't looked at it in the past 8 years.  I'll check and get back to you.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 08:56:50 PM »
The easiest tell on a receiver is the vent holes, T38 two, T99 one. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2024, 01:30:48 AM »
Spring cleaning and some shenanigans.... think1

I'll see RM's 2nd edition and throw up a 4th edition...... Steve Kehaya & Joe Poyer's "The SKS Carbine". nice bathroom material for a few laughs and one thing less the maggot masher can eat.

And the remains of a sporter Type 38.. need C&R or better to claim....... for some .22 Hornet brass or .45-70 brass, or what ever
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 01:24:11 AM »
Anybody decide to let go of a copy of Steve Kehaya & Joe Poyer's "The SKS Carbine"? PAX
  You need a crew