Author Topic: 1950-52 Tula Training (УЧЕБНЫЙ) SKS, УЧБ Marked  (Read 742 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
1950-52 Tula Training (УЧЕБНЫЙ) SKS, УЧБ Marked
« on: January 27, 2023, 11:37:28 PM »
We actually discussed this particular SKS last Fall. I've been intrigued by these rather scarce training, УЧЕБНЫЙ, carbines marked УЧ Б, since I first learned about them here about five six years ago. The same rifle discussed from the Reddit posting popped up in my "Chinese SKS" feed from GunBroker a few weeks ago, and I was the only bidder.

The stock had some crossbolt cracks and Bubba sanded it to within an inch of its life then finished it with a coating of BLO and a mixture of hairs of undetermined origin, perhaps dog, undoubtedly intentionally added to give the finish extra fiber-reinforced strength  doh1 rofl It had a Chinese "G" letter gun receiver cover. The only numbers that match the receiver are the bolt (EP'd), bolt carrier, the trigger guard, and magazine (line-out), so I didn't feel bad about replacing items. Below is how it looked when it arrived yesterday.

I had a spare Russian SKS stock, so that was donated, along with a sling. My first SKS ever, purchased in 2013, was a Type 56 "ghost" from IO Inc that had a 1952 Tula receiver cover. No, it didn't match this training rifle, but it definitely came from Albania and experienced the same Sino-Soviet cover switch as my training rifle at the hands of Uli and his minions at IO. So now it looks like this:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:48:38 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
Re: 1950-52 Tula Training (УЧЕБНЫЙ) SKS, УЧБ Marked
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 11:49:49 PM »
P.S. The Gun Broker listing title is a hoot: "I.O. Inc Chinese SKS Type 56 Carbine 7.62 x 39 Good Condition Matching #'s"

Got three things correct, it was imported by I.O. Inc., it's an SKS, and it's chambered in 7.62x39. The rest of the info is inaccurate or lies ("Matching", not even close).

Fortunately, there were no surprises for me as I knew it wasn't going to be matching, etc.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 08:17:46 AM »
Nice find Jon!! I'm to understand from your comments that IO imported from Albania?  Thanks, Bruce.

Offline BMont

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 09:02:08 AM »
First one Ive seen....great catch my man!   thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 10:41:42 AM »
Nice find Jon!! I'm to understand from your comments that IO imported from Albania?  Thanks, Bruce.

Correct. This is from the earlier 2013-14 imports from Albania. Only blade bayonet Type 56s in those batches except for a few SKS-45s that were unintentionally illegally imported by IO. CAI was far more careful.

It’s my second “Russian sneak” from the IO batch. My 1958 Tula is a matching non-refurb.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 10:44:02 AM »
First one Ive seen....great catch my man!   thumb1

Thank-you! I think RM posted a few additional training SKS pictures, but they’re rare.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »
Here’s the general training gun link. Might be sticky status.

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=3028.0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:50:44 AM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline pcke2000

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 12:18:00 PM »
P.S. The Gun Broker listing title is a hoot: "I.O. Inc Chinese SKS Type 56 Carbine 7.62 x 39 Good Condition Matching #'s"

Got three things correct, it was imported by I.O. Inc., it's an SKS, and it's chambered in 7.62x39. The rest of the info is inaccurate or lies ("Matching", not even close).

Fortunately, there were no surprises for me as I knew it wasn't going to be matching, etc.

Nice catch Sir! Do you think it’s a training rifle assembled from rejected parts at the factory or a regular rifle later designated for training?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:06:45 PM »

Nice catch Sir! Do you think it’s a training rifle assembled from rejected parts at the factory or a regular rifle later designated for training?

Thanks! Interesting question. It's certainly a heavy refurb with the various electropenciled and lined-out force-matched parts. Whether that was due to it being considered off-spec, or simply part of the refurbishment process at the arsenal that did the work on this one, I don't know, and I don't think I could ever tell unless I had complete Soviet armorer tools and specs.

The gas tube and piston match one another, but are different from the receiver. It's passage through Albania and subsequently through the hands of the IO cover-switching masters, means the only consistent provenance is on the parts that match, I have no idea when the gas tube/piston were swiched or if the receiver cover or stock matched before IO Inc and Bubba, respectively, had their way with them.

It's amusing that after you, RM and I all chimed in with it's RUSSIAN on the original Reddit thread, they still ended up listing it as Chinese  rofl  It worked out well for me  :)