Author Topic: SARCO Barreled Actions???  (Read 1415 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
SARCO Barreled Actions???
« on: October 10, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »
Hi Guys,

Anybody get a SARCO SKS barreled action recently. Just curios if they have gotten worse. I could use one for my evil doings if anybody has one. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
Re: SARCO Barreled Actions???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:45:55 AM »
I was about to buy two more, but when I called I remembered them leaving a message on my wife's phone....and so did they. Turns out they fouled up my wife's card transaction...and the previous one I had ordered, I hadn't been charged yet.  So I asked if I could get the discount for buying three at once if I bought another...she said no, so I paid for the one I already received and told them to go scratch on the other two.  She admitted that they were only going down in quality and that they had been handpicking the best of what's left....well, that took the wind out of my sails.. My first one only had a little surface rust...next one a little pitted, and they only got crummier and crummier over the next few purchases....the latest has a pit in the barrel where a proof mark was, deep enough for a BB to rest in it almost to it's 'equator'.   
That was a year ago....unless I had all the parts lying around, and really was itching for a rifle project...I wouldn't even call at this point.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »
IIRC, Justin bought his right before I bought mine. I bought three and posted a thread on them here. I had basically the same experience as Justin did. 1st; not too bad, 2nd; a little worse, 3rd one was terrible. took a lot of extra time in the oil bath to clean it up, but it was functional.

If you get one I would probably plan on getting it coated to hide all the pitting.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 02:04:59 PM »
I got a couple at the same time a few years back that were rough but serviceable. I cut them both to 18.5" so I could still use a neutered FSB. MOST of the pitting was below the stock line. I just painted them with high temp. It seamed like they could only go down hill. Anybody else have them? PAX
  You need a crew  

But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 08:28:08 AM »
There's a guy on the SVt/SkS /orphans subforum at AKfiles who's going to be listing about a dozen Chinese barreled actions on gunbroker.

He was looking for dates on each before listing them. I posted two of the actions with unknown dates in the chinese military sub.

Here's the akfiles link
https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/need-dates-on-several-sks-s.464444/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 10:48:27 AM by Boris Badinov »

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »
There's a guy on the SVt/SkS /orphans subforum at AKfiles who's going to be listing about a dozen Chinese barreled actions on gunbroker.

He was looking for dates on each before listing them. I posted two of the actions with unknown dates in the chinese military sub.

Here's the akfiles link
https://www.akfiles.com/forums/threads/need-dates-on-several-sks-s.464444/

Yep, what Boris said. His username on GB is the same as on ak-files, Sabinerat.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Marcus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 01:51:55 PM »
I remember back in the later 1990's when  nice condition Chinese barrreled receivers could be  picked up for around $20 each.

I bought a few of them,  sourced the parts at local gunshows and such to put them together.

I eventually sold them,  got more for them than I had into them,   so I didn't lose anything on the deal.

These days the parts are of course a lot harder to find and a lot more expensive, but if someone already had the parts laying around it might be a fun project.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 02:50:41 PM »
I remember back in the later 1990's when  nice condition Chinese barrreled receivers could be  picked up for around $20 each.

I bought a few of them,  sourced the parts at local gunshows and such to put them together.

I eventually sold them,  got more for them than I had into them,   so I didn't lose anything on the deal.

These days the parts are of course a lot harder to find and a lot more expensive, but if someone already had the parts laying around it might be a fun project.

I've got enough guts to build 3 or 4 rifles but decent actions are hard to locate these days. I'm wanting to build an Albanian Paratrooper and a Drag queen. PAX
  You need a crew  

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 05:57:55 PM »
Hey Wayne, if you are still looking, check with Sabinerat on GB. He is posting up his barreled receivers there starting at $100. He may be a member here and is on AK-files. Not sure if he is on the other place or not. The one I saw looked pretty good compared to Sarco.

Online echo1

• Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 09:41:43 PM »
Hey Wayne, if you are still looking, check with Sabinerat on GB. He is posting up his barreled receivers there starting at $100. He may be a member here and is on AK-files. Not sure if he is on the other place or not. The one I saw looked pretty good compared to Sarco.
\

Thanks Alan. PAX
  You need a crew