Author Topic: Maverick 88 vs. Stevens 320, Thoughts?  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Maverick 88 vs. Stevens 320, Thoughts?
« on: July 26, 2020, 09:07:48 PM »
Wanting to pick up a home defense shotgun. Something I'll probably plink around with and have for in the house. Looking for your opinions on pros and cons between the 2 mentioned products. If you have another brand in the same price range feel free to add that in.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline auskip07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Re: Maverick 88 vs. Stevens 320, Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 07:31:13 PM »
i would go to the store and hold one.  the maverick 88 felt like a rattle trap.   I havent held a stevens 320

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 07:49:54 PM »
I held both in the Conventional synthetic stocks and they felt about the same. They were in 20ga, but am not sure if I want 20 or 12. Want to make sure the wife can handle it if need be, but I know there is more available in defense rounds for the 12
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 08:24:52 PM »
Consider a Mossberg Shockwave, perfect size for home defense, I got one when they came out and I love it, shot 8, 9 pellet and slugs with no problems, since it is not a shoulder fired weapon, it's easy on the body, there is a ton of aftermarket items for it also, it's 5 + 1, I keep mine by the night stand, the only issue right now is the price because of all the panic buying. Might be able to find one for trade on armslist.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »
Consider a Mossberg Shockwave, perfect size for home defense, I got one when they came out and I love it, shot 8, 9 pellet and slugs with no problems, since it is not a shoulder fired weapon, it's easy on the body, there is a ton of aftermarket items for it also, it's 5 + 1, I keep mine by the night stand, the only issue right now is the price because of all the panic buying. Might be able to find one for trade on armslist.

I would be concerned my wife being able to handle it. She is a pretty petite lady not at all confident with firearms.(Yet) Plus, I don't like the price of the Shockwave, LOL.

Offline Tbone13

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:01:36 AM »

While scanning a local gunshop I saw a Mossberg 500 for only $250 that was spotless, like new. I bought it and gave it to one of my boys.
I'd recommend a good used gun. Mossbergs never really die.
Get a 12. The 12 gauge rules for versatility.  There are bunny/quail loads that hardly kick at all, and there are loads that will stop a grizzly.
 Those bunny loads will blow a soup bowl in an intruder's chest from 15 feet.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 03:07:29 AM »
I have no experience with either but I won’t let that stop me from offering an opinion  chuckles1

The (Mossberg) Maverick 88 is American-assembled of Mexican and US parts. It’s compatible with the ubiquitous Mossberg 500, except for the trigger group, so it has some options available if you decide to modify anything.

The Stevens 320 is Chinese made and doesn’t appear to have as many parts options as the Maverick/Mossberg.
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2014/7/7/stevens-320-security/

Regarding recoil of a 12ga vs. 20ga for your wife, you might try the 1.5” shells or mild recoil loads. The former have the advantage of additional shells in the tube.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 01:24:01 PM »
For me, I'd say go with a 20ga in a regular stock.

As far as defense loads, how does your local DA view them. Some of those A-holes will see a defense load as you really wanted to kill somebody. (Look up a guy named Harold Fish and read the whole story. He got royally screwed by a DA looking to appear tough.)
I figure that if I have to shoot somebody - and I REALLY want to avoid that - then they were a threat and I needed to put them down. I don't need them suing me later because I left them unable to wok in their chosen profession.....

That said, there are as many defense loads available in 20ga as there are in 12ga. The problem is that they're a lot harder to find, and can cost more. However, buck and slugs are readily available. I have absolutely no problem at all counting on a 20ga to defend my castle. There's one in my bedroom right now.

And, as already stated, you can always save a few bucks buying used. Ask around and you'll probably find somebody willing to sell you one so they can upgrade.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »
As much as I hate the guy who says, "Just get a Glock!" to the person asking "Should I get a 1911 or a .38 S&W?" I'm going to be that guy for a minute...

I'd recommend spending a little more and getting a Mossberg 500.

It's proven, and there are a ton of aftermarket parts, but one overlooked aspect that you might like is the tang-mounted safety. It's ambidextrous, easy to tell when on/off, and doesn't make you fumble near the trigger guard when you've been woken up in the middle of the night.

I've had one for years, it has never jammed up on me, and I've put slugs and shot through it with no issues. (You can change barrels in a few seconds.)

My wife, a novice shooter, used it on the trap range to great effect. I know trap loads are lighter than buck, but still.

The only thing I added was a sling and an 18.5 inch barrel for home defense.

I have nothing against the Maverick 88, but the Mossberg was my first gun, and is the only one I'll never get rid of.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 10:48:15 PM »
I'll just cast it out there, one pump that's always overlooked........ an Ithaca Model 37, I won one in an auction, and it hasn't failed to impress me. You can find them in 28, 20, 16, 12 gauge  The Ithaca is a Browning design, not really changed in almost 80 years, and it has been through 3 wars, World War 2, Korea and Vietnam and also used by many police departments. 

Like the Mossberg......it's proven itself just as well.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 11:49:29 PM »
I'll just cast it out there, one pump that's always overlooked........ an Ithaca Model 37, I won one in an auction, and it hasn't failed to impress me. You can find them in 28, 20, 16, 12 gauge  The Ithaca is a Browning design, not really changed in almost 80 years, and it has been through 3 wars, World War 2, Korea and Vietnam and also used by many police departments. 

Like the Mossberg......it's proven itself just as well.

I used to own a Norinco clone of the Pre-74 Ithaca 37 set up as a faux WWII trenchgun, complete with the trigger you could keep pulled and the round would fire as you pumped/cycled the shotgun. Another of those "why did I ever sell that thing" moments.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 04:42:45 AM »
I have the Norinco version too. Something like a model M12-102, Jing-An.  It seems to work just as good, pretty smooth, just has the typical Chinese wood and finish.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 11:46:54 AM »
Mossberg all the way.  Stevens sucks.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »

Hey ya Crossville, how ya doin'? Good to see you around. Yeah, pretty much the conclusion I ended up with as well as more accessories for the Mossberg.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
I'm a  Browning A5 guy. A bit spendy, but top shelf. Mine has never failed me. I purchased an "extension" tube that allows for 11 shells instead of the 5+1.
Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 09:16:28 AM »

Hey ya Crossville, how ya doin'? Good to see you around. Yeah, pretty much the conclusion I ended up with as well as more accessories for the Mossberg.

I've been around buddy I've just been super busy and my mom and fiance have had health problems.