Author Topic: 7.62X39mm stripper clip guides review  (Read 12185 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
7.62X39mm stripper clip guides review
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
Just got these in today, my first impression is not good but I'm going to try them for a while and give them a chance since they are new. First they are a hard plastic-like material, I'm disappointed they are not metal, but the fit to our ASC 20 round mags is good. Next is loading the first clip, it was jerky and a little hard. The second clip was impossible to empty into the magazine so I'll work with the guide to see what needs to be done to correct that.

Unless things change drastically for the better, I can not recommend these. I'll let you know in the near future.

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
Re: 7.62X39mm stripper clip guides review
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
Who are they manufactured by and what do they cost?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
I bet if you used a stick, dowel, or some other stiff tool to press on the top round instead of having to use your thumb things would go quite a bit more smoothly Danny.  Peeling rounds cleanly off a stripper requires you to have your force as close to the rear of the round as possible.  Any force forward of there just torques the base of the round in the stripper clip and causes it to bind. 

The added spring and follower of the magazine is certainly not helping either.  When the first round goes in, is it contacting the feed lips at all, or is it pretty much free and clear?

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »

Spongemonkey I haven't a clue as to who manufactured them but they were made for a company in Ontario. The company name/stock # is embossed on the back of the guide..."GSd LT X39 1". Maybe they are making them.

As for the cost they were $9.95, considerably steep but if they work it's worth it to us! We couldn't find these guides for 7.62X39mm anywhere but LC ran across this link and posted it!

http://shop.gsdesigns.ca/Spoon-Type-Loader-for-762x39-Stripper-Clips-LT-X39-I.htm

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:37:58 PM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
I bet if you used a stick, dowel, or some other stiff tool to press on the top round instead of having to use your thumb things would go quite a bit more smoothly Danny.  Peeling rounds cleanly off a stripper requires you to have your force as close to the rear of the round as possible.  Any force forward of there just torques the base of the round in the stripper clip and causes it to bind. 

The added spring and follower of the magazine is certainly not helping either.  When the first round goes in, is it contacting the feed lips at all, or is it pretty much free and clear?

As far as I can tell running-man the cartridges aren't touching the lips although it is a tight fit. I just tried a second time using dry graphite (I love that stuff!) in the rim grooves of the clip, both clips unloaded into the magazine as smooth as butter.

Lubricant in a tight spot works every time!  8)  Thanks for checking it out and chiming in guys  thumb1

I would recommend the guides now...just get a tube of dry graphite!  rofl

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 02:49:21 PM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline spongemonkey

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »

Spongemonkey I haven't a clue as to who manufactured them but they were made for a company in Ontario. The company name/stock # is embossed on the back of the guide..."GSd LT X39 1". Maybe they are making them.

As for the cost they were $9.95, considerably steep but if they work it's worth it to us! We couldn't find these guides for 7.62X39mm anywhere but LC ran across this link and posted it!

http://shop.gsdesigns.ca/Spoon-Type-Loader-for-762x39-Stripper-Clips-LT-X39-I.htm

Okay, thanks!   thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 08:22:39 PM »
Maybe its just a matter of them breaking in?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Yeah, I figure with some use on the range, etc., and some graphite for the time being they will work out fine. It's nice to put two stripper clips in a magazine in just a matter of a few seconds!

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 06:20:35 AM »
What's up with the rusty ammo? I Store mine in ammo cans with dessicant packets. No rusty ammo!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:08:34 PM by sksmcrossvilletn »

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 02:19:53 PM »
What's up with the rusty ammo? I Store mine in ammo cane with dessicant packets. No rusty ammo!

Mine isn't rusty either. One of my magazines got wet recently. It was in my cargo pockets when I got caught in the rain while feeding our horses so the top few rounds got stained! My steel cased ammo is stored in ammo cans with dessicants also, except for the one in the original case shown below.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:10:24 AM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 04:09:29 PM »
Cool looks like only difference is I dump mine out lose into the ammo cans!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 05:10:43 PM »
Cool looks like only difference is I dump mine out lose into the ammo cans!

Yep, really not that much difference though! I have one can that has a couple hundred rounds loaded on stripper clips at the moment. I have 400 rounds of Red Army Standard coming in Monday and I'll put them in stripper clips and add to this ammo can. I just keep buying a little at a time until all the cans are full....then I buy more cans!!!  declare1

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 04:08:12 AM »
Yeah,

I put all mine in .30 cal ammo cans. I can fit exactly 500 rounds of loose in there. I like thirty's better because they are easier to carry and they don't take up as much room or weight in the safe.

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:08 AM »
 :o thanks for info Danny. only ones I use are the metal ones marked with the BX, work great.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »
:o thanks for info Danny. only ones I use are the metal ones marked with the BX, work great.  thumb1

Carl I've heard from several sources the ones marked BX or BXN are the best, but they have been hard to find. Or I'm looking in the wrong places which is more likely!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
got mine from seller on eBay.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 11:29:48 AM »
they were marked BXN65, think they were about $.75. well worth the money.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »
The 3 best stripper clips I've found are, the Yugo, Czech(never really seen a bad Czech anything rofl) and vintage Chinese(not the NCStar crap or modern made stuff) the real Chinese ones, typically they will have a factory number stamp.

At the local shop, I bypass the little boxes of M67 for the ones with strippers, two birds with one stone, good ammo and good strippers, all in a neat little package thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 08:54:17 PM »
Greasemonkey I read recently the BX series stripper clips that are so good come from the Czech Republic! From one particular site selling them on eBay...

Item specifics
Condition: Used
Seller Notes:    “Excellent SKS Stripper Clips that work!”
Type: 10 Round Clip    
Model: SKS
Brand: Czech Mil
MPN: BXN

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
bxn is the old Communist Bloc era headstamp for modern day Sellier & Bellot.