Author Topic: Strange Scope Mount?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Magnumload

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Strange Scope Mount?
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
A friend of mine just picked up an SKS it has this scope mount on it with no top pieces. The back of it looks nothing like I've seen. Can he get parts for this to make it whole or just replace the top unit?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Strange Scope Mount?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »
This is an old type cover mount (cannot remember maker) that actually uses that rear knob to tighten down the slack in the cover when mounted.   I have seen them before but very rarely.  I doubt you will ever find the original parts that ar missing...... may have to find parts of a dif set of rings that will work.   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
IF you "somehow" used that mount, you would need to add something akin to a "cheek riser" to the stock. Your neck is not nearly long enough to use that mount effectively.
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Magnumload

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:07:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. I went to a gun show last weekend and found top pieces with screws $10, so he is at least that close. More so nobody there ever saw a mount like that either.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 03:56:48 AM »
This is an ancient post but I hadn't run across it until now. I had seen a rifle like this once on the internet and retained the pics because it was so rare. Actually the only one that I've ever seen until the OP's post here of just the top cover.

Here are pics of the rifle, (or scope mount accessory that was added to the rifle), that the OP's top cover would fit:

I think it was just a special scope mount. I don't see any differences in the receiver but I may be wrong. It was an interesting type so I held onto the pics. I'd be curious as to whether it helped hold zero any better than the other top cover scope mounts. I'd lay odds that it was developed by the Chinese for the American market. But other than this one pictured and the OP's top cover piece, they're the only examples that I've seen to date.

firstchoice

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »
neat, thanks for sharing FC.  thumb1
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter