Author Topic: New ATF White Paper 01/20/2017  (Read 3805 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
New ATF White Paper 01/20/2017
« on: February 09, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
There's an ATF white paper out there that discusses what ATF can do to reduce regulation and help appease the firearms industry.  It's quite the fascinating read:

https://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/read-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations/2325/

I agree with many aspects of it and disagree with some of the later ones.  All-in-all, it seems to be a pretty levelheaded assessment of the biggest 5 or 6 issues at ATF today.  I'd be surprised if *any* of these suggestions actually get implemented, but never say never.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:22:30 PM by running-man »

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: New ATF White Paper 01/20/2017
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
Some are interesting, others...eh... thumb1 "Not for public release"  testing the waters, a possible heads up I'm guessing... :)

But...it makes one wonder, if the ATF laxes some restrictions, what will be the outcome of the states with the gotcha by the balls laws, will they lax some or will it backfire, and it very well could go the opposite direction to further clamp down. It already seems like there is a competition to who can create the most horrid gun laws in the land. While the industry may benefit some as a whole, in the end, it is the individual states who control a majority of the laws, the government just sets the basis for the law.
I'm sure some....more controlling states, have acquired that paper, and are scrutinizing, banging on lawyers doors and already policing up in preparation for any future opportunities. fineprint
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 09:09:32 PM »
Nah, nothing in there will make one iota of difference in states like CA, CT, MA, MD, IL or any of the other gun fearing states with AWB-like statutes. Feds control importation, GCA/NFA, and interstate commerce. The gun show stuff doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of going through I don't think.  Neither does FFL's selling to nonlicensees across state lines.  There's nothing in there that the left leaning states will use, they already regulate 99.9% of it at at state level.  Oh they'll **** and moan for sure, but they already know how they think they can get to the total bans they want, one small step at a time.  Widespread state level lead ammo bans a-la CA are looming I'd suspect.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
Nah, nothing in there will make one iota of difference in states like CA, CT, MA, MD, IL or any of the other gun fearing states with AWB-like statutes. Feds control importation, GCA/NFA, and interstate commerce. The gun show stuff doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of going through I don't think.  Neither does FFL's selling to nonlicensees across state lines.  There's nothing in there that the left leaning states will use, they already regulate 99.9% of it at at state level.  Oh they'll **** and moan for sure, but they already know how they think they can get to the total bans they want, one small step at a time.  Widespread state level lead ammo bans a-la CA are looming I'd suspect.

Lead ammo ban is mostly there..  bat1  I don't know if this was over turned yet... but, it effects hunting and fishing on any federal land. Which is a raw deal for many western states.. 84.9% of Nevada is federal land, almost half of Cali. is federal, or roughly about 28% of the land in the country.
One of the last actions of the Obama administration last week was to ban lead ammunition and fishing sinkers on most federal lands. Fishing and hunting advocacy groups are hoping the directive will be overturned by the Trump administration.

Dan Ashe, director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, issued the decree on Thursday, his final full day in office. It makes lead illegal on national parks, wildlife refuges and any other land administered by the service. Unaltered, the ban will have a major impact on hunting public land, since most ammunition is lead-based.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2017/01/outgoing_obama_administration.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:38:11 PM by Greasemonkey »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem