Author Topic: 1969 Albanian Model 561  (Read 27497 times)

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
Re: 1969 Albanian Model 561
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 12:45:12 AM »
The oiler that came with one of mine was identical, but a clear orangish plastic, like the stock finish color, and the sling, well it smells horrible. Not the usual pleasant surplus smell, more like bloated swelled in the sun roadkill.

GM, post a pic of the clear orangish oiler if/when you get the chance sometime. I'll try to locate those beige colored oilers, (they're the shorter type), and post pics of those as well. These slings came in with the usual surplus smell. Guess I got lucky.

Congratulations! I've been looking at everything Albanian I can find the last week and that has to be one of the nicest I've seen thumb1 You lucked out getting the accessories. The slings and oilers are nowhere to be found.

Thanks MEBears! I like it. I had a '71 mix-master that came with the original stock with "trench art' and the wood was r-o-u-g-h! The metal was actually in pretty good condition, but it had a Chinese FCG, and the Bolt and Bolt Carrier were matching, but mismatched to the Receiver SN. Now that I see how few and far between these things are, I kick myself for parting with it, mismatched, or not. Couple of pics of that old '71 stock:

Poor ole thing was dang near split from one end to the other.

I hope these knife scars weren't "tally marks".  :o

I think the SN is already in the database, but here's a pic of that receiver to confirm it.

Here it is next to the Romanian.

Yeah, I can see the link to the exaggerated stitching compared to the sewn slings and the chest pouches. If you run across another link to those, LC, let me know.
Finally getting around to adding pics of the Alby Chest Pouches, Oilers, and the Slings that came with the 1969 Albanian SKS pictured above. The Chest pouches I "know", (pretty sure), are the correct ones. I've seen so many variations of Alby Oilers, I don't know which is actually "correct". The slings that came with it were the Chinese variety, but I like them.

firstchoice

Nice cache of accessories you got there FC!   thumb1

Accessories and oilers and slings, oh my.  :))  I've got some holes to fill in the collecting department.

I don't have an Albanian helmet either...dang!

Thanks Phos! I've got a bit of OCD or something. Not only do the SKS multiply around me, so do the accessories around 'em.  :)) 

firstchoice
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:50:40 AM by firstchoice »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »
Very interesting FC!  Though it is in the database, I hadn't seen that one before.  She certainly had quite a bit of character.  That stock split from front to back is wild, looks like the only thing holding it together are the crossbolt and reinforcing pins!  thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
It's not everyday that a fine classic Albanian in this vintage can be found in such condition. You did very good and Your 69 example just goes to show that wood stock was a good year for your Albanian and American music both  clap1 Sorry, thats just the coffee kicking in  ;) but Id be willing to guess that's easily in the top 10 of the supposedly 970 69's in the country.

Ive never measured my oiler that came with mine but I think it was more of a tan color in the same formation.  Great post and thread with informative comments above.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 02:53:53 PM »
  GM, post a pic of the clear orangish oiler if/when you get the chance sometime.

OK.. here is everything that came with my first Alby.. I even dug stinky sling out :o

Funky color oiler and cleaning kit

Bandoleer

The stinky sling

Kind of interesting.. the sling is slightly narrower than a standard Chinese by an 1/8 inch or so, smells worse too rofl, top is one with Albanian, bottom is a Chinese random sling.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
I've been in touch with a guy that says he has a few different colored oilers but didn't say how much he wanted. I haven't seen any others available so I have no idea what a fair price would be. $15-20 where they're so scarce? Sorry for going off topic.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 05:35:54 PM »
Umm kay.. figure the odds an Enfield oiler looks alot like the Albanian, only brown. think1

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1018&idcategory=55

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
I've been in touch with a guy that says he has a few different colored oilers but didn't say how much he wanted. I haven't seen any others available so I have no idea what a fair price would be. $15-20 where they're so scarce? Sorry for going off topic.

If they are real Alby oilers and they are reasonably priced (*cough* RM is a cheap bastage), I'd be interested in seeing what he's got. :)

i've been looking for one off and on since 2002.  I'm always a day late on a good deal though.  dash2

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:24 PM »

If they are real Alby oilers and they are reasonably priced (*cough* RM is a cheap bastage), I'd be interested in seeing what he's got. :)

i've been looking for one off and on since 2002.  I'm always a day late on a good deal though.  dash2

locomotive1  Me too, me too...I mean I'm a cheap bastage too and I've been looking for a (sling, cleaning kit, and) oiler since 2002 2015  :))

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 07:00:13 PM »
Still trying to get a price. He said he has tan,black, white, yellow, and "swirled"? but only the tan ones have the oiler rod inside.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 08:16:15 PM »
Not sure what color mine is.... Still in the butt with the alby cleaning kit.  Pretty sure there were multiple colors as MEbears described.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »
Finally getting around to adding pics of the Alby Chest Pouches, Oilers, and the Slings that came with the 1969 Albanian SKS pictured above. The Chest pouches I "know", (pretty sure), are the correct ones. I've seen so many variations of Alby Oilers, I don't know which is actually "correct". The slings that came with it were the Chinese variety, but I like them.

The pics of the oilers aren't that great. The weather here has sucked and indoor pics with black plastic is not my forte. I received two of the shorter type (abt. 2 3/4") and two that were about an inch longer, (abt. 3 3/4"). I also have a couple that are a light brown/beige in color, but couldn't find them to include them in these pics. (Yah, I know, "pics, or it didn't happen."  :)  )

This one's a little wonky, but it works.

firstchoice

I was starting to question these oilers FC and I have both shown.. Two different retailers, same weapon listed, Enfield.  Digging through several other sights dealing with Enfields, I've come to the conclusion, they are British Enfield rifle oilers, not Albanian.

This looks exactly like the black ones FC is showing
https://www.e-sarcoinc.com/oilerbritishenfieldwwiiplastic.aspx

And here, they can be found in brown
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1018&idcategory=55

Another random retailer, black and grey
http://whatacountry.com/enfieldoiler.aspx

Bummer I know  cry1, not Albanian, but British, so lets just say  thumb1

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
Few pics of what came with my Albanian. The oiler cap has a stiff wire.

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 10:39:34 PM »
The ones I just ordered are identical to what DC posted. I just got one of the stitched canvas slings off Gunboards. Probably overpaid but I didn't know when I'd see another for sale and I know a few other people are looking.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:48:20 PM by MEBears »

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 01:53:56 AM »
Few pics of what came with my Albanian. The oiler cap has a stiff wire.

Yes, this is what I was referring to as the beige/brown short-style oliers that I couldn't locate for pics. So maybe I do have at least one set of correct Alby oilers, unless the surplus gremlins ate them.

I remember the first time I was sold a set of "Alby" oliers, they came in with some "familiar" lettering on them.

Final consensus on those were Isreali FNFAL Olilers? Some type of Isreali oiler, anyway.

MEBears, I have a couple of the NOS Albanian Bolt Carriers that I've been holding on to in case I ran across a mismatched Alby, but that's looking less likely as the days roll by. If you're interested, let me know. By the way, what kind of price did you end up having to put out for the Alby stitched sling? I had given up on finding one of those. Nice find on that!

firstchoice

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 06:11:15 AM »
I paid $70 :o which I'm kind of questioning now that I've slept on it. I just got all the proper accessories for my other SKS so I really wanted to complete this one. I am definitely interested in a bolt carrier if you want to shoot me a message.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 08:05:50 AM »
So which oiler is correct alby?   

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »
So which oiler is correct alby?   

That's what I was hoping to get a consensus on here, LC. It seems like they were shipped over with whatever they felt like including, if anything, on accessories. Most of what I saw that were the really used condition carbines came in with old Chinese slings, or the remnants of one. (Chinese coil wire-type and the leather loop-type, included) I have yet to see an Alby chest rig that looks like it went through the same use as the rifle. They may be out there, just haven't seen them. I don't know what condition the sling is in that MEBear bought, but I would imagine it must be pretty good. Does anyone have any Alby slings or chest rigs that look like they have been through the same use as the rifles they own? Just my own WAG here, but I'm thinking the importers went back after, or at least separately, buying the last few accessories that were left in what little warehousing there was? Again, just my own guessing here.

If I understand correctly, Tennessee Guns, Knox, TN, imported a large part of the Albanian SKS? (both of the Alby's that I have owned came through TG) Are they still in business? If so, does anyone do enough business with them to ask about these specifics? It would be interesting to talk to the actual buyers that walked through these warehouses, outhouses, whatever, buying up this surplus.

AIM Surplus also came up with a lot of NOS Alby parts. I think they still sell some, of what's left. Did they ever actually import or sell any Alby SKS?

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 06:08:12 PM »
  AIM Surplus also came up with a lot of NOS Alby parts. I think they still sell some, of what's left. Did they ever actually import or sell any Alby SKS?

Aim sold, I don't think they imported, I've not really known Aim to import arms, usually they just buy in bulk from major importers and resell it. I know they sold Albanians, in the '02-'04 time frame and a small lot around '11- '12 or so, thats about the time when all those NOS spare parts appeared. there may have even been another small lot in between those two. I want to say way back when they first sold them, they had an option or came with an unfinished stock, one was included with my first one, which is a TGI also.

Offline firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »

Aim sold, I don't think they imported, I've not really known Aim to import arms, usually they just buy in bulk from major importers and resell it. I know they sold Albanians, in the '02-'04 time frame and a small lot around '11- '12 or so, thats about the time when all those NOS spare parts appeared. there may have even been another small lot in between those two. I want to say way back when they first sold them, they had an option or came with an unfinished stock, one was included with my first one, which is a TGI also.

After thinking about it, I've never seen an AIM import-marked gun of any type and I've bought quite a few through AIM. (shoulda been my first clue  :-[ )

I remember the stocks and hand guards they sold for a while. I was happy with the hand guards. How did your unfinished stock fit?  :-X

GM, just curious, does your import stamp say TG or TGI? Mine just has the TG KNOX, TN on it. But it seems like I've seen TGI on some pistols? I'll have to do some looking on that.

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:45 PM »
  I remember the stocks and hand guards they sold for a while. I was happy with the hand guards. How did your unfinished stock fit?  :-X

It didn't, basically it would be useless. But the stock the rifle came with wasn't much better. Notice the "shims"  between the receiver and stock, thats 3 pieces of credit card to take the slop up.  Oh, yea and a nice big crack or two, those parts were free thumb1.. I'm so glad they spared no expense making the "quality" weapons, I've seen some pretty ones, then I see the this side, quality control....whazat?  chuckles1  If'en only it weren't so "rare" I'd dump it. fart1

GM, just curious, does your import stamp say TG or TGI? Mine just has the TG KNOX, TN on it. But it seems like I've seen TGI on some pistols? I'll have to do some looking on that.

Both have TG KNOX, TN, even my PSL is even stamped TG KNOX TN.  I thought my Suomi had a TGI stamp, but it was just distributed by them, TNW of Veronia, OR built it.