Author Topic: Read fully before throwing stones please...  (Read 3585 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Re: Read fully before throwing stones please...
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2020, 01:05:58 PM »
It's a Kengs Sporter Paratrooper with a nowhere rail salvage. The only real damage, other than the furniture, is the threaded barrel. Even then, you wouldn't have been able to mount a bayo. A little massaging and you'll have a great rifle. If you just replace the Tapco HG with an ATI it'll look a ton better. PAX

You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Gloyid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • We're gonna need a bigger safe...
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2020, 03:11:58 PM »
Awesome, thanks for in advice!
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
-Archilochus

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 03:17:03 PM »
I do like that ATI Monte Carlo stock...hmmm. would have to reconfigure the optics though...decisions desicions....
"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training."
-Archilochus

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 05:02:49 PM »
The Choate Conventional is also very comfortable,light and comes with swivel studs .
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
Oh god...now I've got 30 tabs open looking at AKs and SKS and drooling with an empty wallet...
-Archilochus

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »
I do like that ATI Monte Carlo stock...hmmm. would have to reconfigure the optics though...decisions desicions....

The ATI Monty is boat anchor heavy but very strong. That being said, I just put a pre-Bubbad rifle in one. I checked this particular gun in every serviceable wood stock, ATI & Choate Drag, Choate and Ramline conventional I've got, but it fit bestest/tightest in the Monty... The barrel was cut to 18.5" and left front sightless when I got it. At that length, there's still enough original muzzle tip to put back a neutered FS globe ala KSI Sport, which I did. I also added a T100, and extensively worked over the Monty at the wrist for smaller hands, and relieved the rear receiver area for the T100. Since the mag wasn't numbered to the rest of the rifle, I put a 5 rounder on. Finished it off with a blackened VZ58 sling. I'm calling it "The Canadian Precision Guide Stalker"  8). There were some commercial rifles made at 18.5" PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 08:25:51 PM »
What if it was a k-sports hunter that someone put in a tapco and threaded? The clean way the bayonet and cleaning rod were removed plus that "rail to nowhere" and its length...sorry, I have an inquisitive mind.
-Archilochus

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 08:37:12 PM »

The ATI Monty is boat anchor heavy but very strong. That being said, I just put a pre-Bubbad rifle in one. I checked this particular gun in every serviceable wood stock, ATI & Choate Drag, Choate and Ramline conventional I've got, but it fit bestest/tightest in the Monty... The barrel was cut to 18.5" and left front sightless when I got it. At that length, there's still enough original muzzle tip to put back a neutered FS globe ala KSI Sport, which I did. I also added a T100, and extensively worked over the Monty at the wrist for smaller hands, and relieved the rear receiver area for the T100. Since the mag wasn't numbered to the rest of the rifle, I put a 5 rounder on. Finished it off with a blackened VZ58 sling. I'm calling it "The Canadian Precision Guide Stalker"  8). There were some commercial rifles made at 18.5" PAX

When you say boat anchor....what kind of weight are we talking about? Fit/form/function trump "cool lookin" any day to me. It will be a hog/deer rifle so a mix of truck door supported firing, prone firing, treestand shooting and moving offhand firing. Is it heavy enough to make standing shots at running hogs too tough?
-Archilochus

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
It sure sounds like it could've been a K Sports Hunter converted to a carbine.Others would know far more than I. A heavy rugged stock is good for a beat around hunting carbine I think.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »
I'll never beat a SKS around....not with that free spirited firing pin. Haha
-Archilochus

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 10:42:02 PM »
I've never had trouble with the floating firing pin in any sks's the same as I've never had trouble with one in any of my AR's.Just keep 'em nice and clean.But had a buddy had trouble with his sks a very long time ago when he first got it and didn't clean it right.Live and learn.

Offline Gloyid

• Cadet
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 10:46:09 PM »
Already gave it a good rub down, mainly because of the stovepipes. Pin moves well but not too well and doesnt stick...so no worries of a runaway either.
-Archilochus

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2020, 12:23:29 AM »
There is no sporter stamped anywhere. What do you mean they did a number on the front sight? Its smooth as can be and looks unaltered. Only obvious signs of retro jobs is the threading. That's why I am confused about the bayonet. It's got the v notch from the earlier models....but that's the only thing that suggests a bayonet was once there. Maybe it was made without one for some reason.

My bad, I saw that flare just behind the threads and assumed that was an integral part of the original FSB. Looking at it more closely, I think it could easily have been a KSI 16” hunter. 

They likely pulled the FSB, threaded the muzzle, and then reinstalled it as is with no further mods beyond the stock/handguard swap and scope mounting.