Author Topic: A New Commercially Bubba'd SKS  (Read 14533 times)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
Re: A New Commercially Bubba'd SKS
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Haven't seen any vids of them yet Marcus.

P.S. that $800 price tag is in Canadian $ - or aprx 650 in US $.

Ah yes, hadn't considered the rate of exchange. OK then, 425.00 back in your pocket. That's a LOT of mags and ammo.

Marcus

Well again....it's not really an apples to apples comparison here. Your mag adapter is an adapter. A part you buy to make a regular SKS use detachable mags. This is a finished rifle that has many other features.

Since you keep bringing up price vs value....let's look at that.

Your G9 adapter ($225) plus an average Chinese SKS in today's market ($400) would set someone back about $625.

This COMPLETE rifle cost $630 US, and also gives you a threaded barrel, keymod forend, AR pistol grip, AR buttstock, and full picattiny top rail. For $5 more than an SKS with your adapter.

I don't really think you are doing yourself any favors here by bringing up price.

NOW....with that said....this entire debate is probably for nothing, because this is a CANADIAN gun. It's still a surplus SKS that's been imported to Canada. The likely hood of one getting into the US is pretty slim.

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 10:57:43 PM »
sleek looks but nothing good to say about the take down procedure. I like moding the SKS beaters but in a far more mil spec. manner. Good to see new stuff come out tho....

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 02:56:00 AM »
The way I see it, if you are going to alter an SKS, most of the fun is in doing it yourself.

With this, it seems akin to buying a kit car assembled, but not having the parts to convert it back to a VW once the novelty wears off.

That being said, I like a lot of what the Canadians have come up with...it is like a new SKS aftermarket renaissance. Hopefully it continues. A nice side effect of things like this being done though...it is saving me a fortune on discarded Russian parts that would be spendy to say the least here, and much harder to locate. I am OK with that part of my fun being spoiled.

I must have pasted the photo link in my previous post over my text...which was along the lines of saying that this gun makes me think of how funny it would be to see the ISS that had that Sputnik Inside bumper sticker on it. Actually, it is worse...as the rifles these are being built upon actually pre-date Sputnik.  chuckles1

That tidbit kind of blew my mind when I thought about it.

If I were Canadian, I would seek the means to suck up as much of the original parts market as you can now. Folks will want that stuff in the future...if we don't buy it all up down here.

If I were to handle one of these, I would be curious about how solid they are. It seems with all that stuff on there, it actually being lighter is surprising to me. I think what will make these rare is the ridiculous amount of takedown necessary. It seems really pointless to go to all that trouble with the main advantage being detachable magazines, when they can only be five rounders anyway.

I would think the Wartak type system and loading loose rounds would be as easy to accomplish as changing mags. You get full sized scopes and shell deflection...and you can revert back. It is a lot cheaper too. There are many aftermarket stocks that can offer a more modern look with modern features. You also can utilize the tried and true box mag, that is only at half capacity...saving money to feed it. :)

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
JnH, interesting observations. Something else, in Canada you cannot modify the mags. You can however, modify the rifle. By RCMP law, if you use a "pistol" marked mag in a rifle, it is still a pistol mag. That means legally, in Canada, you can run up to 10 rounds in a rifle. I suspect those mags are LCR pistol marked mags. The mods are permanent to the rifle and can't be undone. The 10 round allowance is why my G9 design was copied by HiCal. They do offer a rifle and adapter setup for about 650.00 Canadian (?). We opted to modify the mags as most guys won't want to modify the rifle permanently, (open the mag well), plus it is cheaper.

Marcus
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:30:05 AM by 1mlt »
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Luke2236

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
JnH, interesting observations. Something else here, in Canada you cannot modify the mags. You can however, modify the rifle. By RCMP law, if you use a "pistol" marked mag in a rifle, it is still a pistol mag. That means legally, in Canada, you can run up to 10 rounds.

Absolutely and it even goes a bit greyer than that - in Canada a mag's limit is defined by the amount/type of rounds it was designed/intended to hold. So there are in existence 5 round AR .50 Beowulf  mags. Now it just so happens that these 5 round Beowulf mags will happily hold and feed 15 rounds of 5.56/.223 in any rifle that will accept AR mags. So, these mags are very very popular  thumb1
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:14:33 AM by Luke2236 »
Canadian...eh!

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
You also can utilize the tried and true box mag, that is only at half capacity...saving money

Sounds good in therory, but nope... Thats like eating half an Oreo and setting it down and walking away...You, I and everyone else knows you dont save crap...You just load it twice as much shooting an equal amount, in the end...your gonna eat that whole Oreo. rofl2 rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »
You also can utilize the tried and true box mag, that is only at half capacity...saving money

Sounds good in therory, but nope... Thats like eating half an Oreo and setting it down and walking away...You, I and everyone else knows you dont save crap...You just load it twice as much shooting an equal amount, in the end...your gonna eat that whole Oreo. rofl2 rofl

I was actually referring to not having to buy any aftermarket mags. Now that you put it that way, I guess you do save some ammo reloading twice as often...or extend shooting time...win win. :)

I didn't know about the pistol mag 'loophole'...that is interesting.  Y'know what you Canadian's ought to do?  Since you have all these leftover SKS mags...make a cheapo blowback pistol, that is based around an SKS mag. I wonder if you were to utilize parts from an SKS, if it would be legal to modify those mags for a newly produced pistol? There you go, pistol mags. :)

I have another idea that might be revolutionary up there...but until I can figure out how to have the idea transferred to CAD, and then printed...I can't say anything. The laws it would skirt might even be helpful in the portions of the US that are trying to become soccer mom utopias...