Author Topic: Eye candy  (Read 4422 times)

Offline rwhite135

• Liberty University Alum
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
Eye candy
« on: August 13, 2016, 12:34:53 AM »
I figured I'd give you all something else to look at besides all of the SKS carbines around here.  So with that in mind, here's my Vepr 12 scatter gun:

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Eye candy
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
That'll put a lot of lead in the air in short order  :o

Five round mag?

Offline rwhite135

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
It came with a 5 round from the factory and I bought some 10 round SGMs to go with it. When I get a little more pocket change, I plan on getting some of the 10 round Csspec steel mags.

I should note that I neglected to put a mag in before taking that pic.  What looks like a mag is actually the magwell.  The Vepr 12 mags don't rock & lock like an AK.  They're straight insert like with an AR and the gun has a LRBHO, as well.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
Right, looking at it on my phone before. Now I can see it's just a mag well. Did seem a bit short for 5 12ga shells  rofl

Does the recoil buffer take much of the sting out of the felt recoil?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
Cool.. thumb1 thumb1 Now, excuse me...I've always been curious  :) so what is the difference in a Saiga 12 and a Vepr 12. I do know the Saiga is made at at Izhmash(home of the Ak), the Vepr at Molot Oruzhie. The things I hear is the Vepr is converted, where the Saiga is not. The rest of the mumbo jumbo puts me in the mind of the old Chevy vs Ford, Cummins vs Detroit, Fruity Pebbles vs Coco Puffs, Miller Lite vs Coors Light arguments, so it get tuned out. :)

I have both the Saiga 12 and 410, I them got a good while back, I'd guess I got the 12 in '07-'08, scored(stole) the 410 for chump change just after the second election. I installed a 6 position gas adjuster in both and did a few other things, both cycle even the weak cheapie bird shot stuff to the full bore slugs with no issues. Like a typical Ak, once you work out it's issues, if any, they just WORK. thumb1

Does the recoil buffer take much of the sting out of the felt recoil?

I've never noticed a sting, if anything it's more of a push, than a full fledge punch.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline rwhite135

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 04:08:47 PM »
Okay, for the first question, between the muzzle brake and the Limbsaver AR stock recoil is about as light as a 12 gauge can probably get.  To me it doesn't feel any different than shooting an AK in 5.45x39 or 5.56x45. YRMV.

For the next question, the Saiga 12 is built off the AK while the Vepr 12 is built off the RPK.  This means the V12 has a more rugged receiver than the S12 but it also makes it heavier.  The Vepr also doesn't take as much work to "correct" its sporterized parts as was touched on.  The V12 also doesn't come from the factory with a gas adjustment system. The V12 retains the RPK rear sight and has a hinged dust cover and front sight similar to that of a Krink. In my opinion this makes the V12 the better of the 2 as a slug gun. As mentioned above the V12 has LRBHO which the S12 doesn't.  Both are good shotguns in their own right with their own pros and cons.

Offline rwhite135

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 05:51:40 PM »
I forgot to mention that the V12 also has a railed dustcover.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 06:27:12 PM »
Both Saigas have the standard side scope mount..not that I'd ever use it. They are just toys anyway, I'll get my Cz or Auto5 for serious stuff. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem