Author Topic: 1992 Sporter project  (Read 1277 times)

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
1992 Sporter project
« on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »
Have some small areas with somewhat deep pitting, my goal is to smooth out the pitting and re-blue, welcome to any advice, help, tricks, shortcuts, etc.

I have removed some of the rust.

Pictures are in order:

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
Re: 1992 Sporter project
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »
that does have some pitting.   I can only share what ive read:
-the durafil and dura blue are pretty good if you want to go the blued route   diy will be in the 100 dollar range
-JB weld  i "heard" was a good filler  but even with duracoat on top of it  you could tell where it was filed because the texture of the Epoxy
- buffing and filing some of the surfaces is an option but some of your pits look deep.   

Thats all i got so far and i think im going to hold off on doing anything serous to my rifle until i put to together and see how she shoots. (i might go the dura fil and dura blue route as an experiment)

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 04:21:56 PM »
Wow, 3200 newer than the one sitting next to me...and dang that has seen some abuse.  >:(
It's interesting that it's cut for a drum mag. That could be fun once you spruce it up. Greatguns has a folding adapter that might help restore the rest of the stock, and allow for an M4 style buttstock.

Seriously...get a Frontier Big 45 scouring pad for less than ten bucks shipped, usually within 3 days no less...and attack that thing with it. You might not even have to reblue much. It will remove all the surface rust, and not affect the bluing whatsoever. If anything, i will blow your mind enough to always use it.  I even use it for removing cosmoline, it's shreds right through it, and you can just shake it in the mineral spirits bucket clean.

You can also cut off a bit of it and use it in your bore instead of a patch, or even with it on a patch pusher chucked into a drill. This is great for getting impacted lacquer out of your chamber too.

owenj492

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
That folding stock is stashed away deep somewhere, haven't decided on what stock to use at the moment.

I did use "Frontier Big 45" and oil on most of the rifle and it's parts, I had to go deeper on the receiver area with 320 grit sandpaper and oil and that brought a lot of rust.

I do have a bench grinder, was thinking that if I'm gentle, grind out the pitting, smooth it out and re-blue, thoughts? Bench grinder has different grit grinding wheels - 36 and 60 grit and I also have a wire wheel to attach.

Keep in mind I'm new at this!  :)

owenj492

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 05:06:54 PM »
That folding stock is stashed away deep somewhere, haven't decided on what stock to use at the moment.

I did use "Frontier Big 45" and oil on most of the rifle and it's parts, I had to go deeper on the receiver area with 320 grit sandpaper and oil and that brought a lot of rust.

I do have a bench grinder, was thinking that if I'm gentle, grind out the pitting, smooth it out and re-blue, thoughts? Bench grinder has different grit grinding wheels - 36 and 60 grit and I also have a wire wheel to attach.

Keep in mind I'm new at this!  :)

The pitting/rust is on the outside, the chamber looks great, and so does the bore!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:16:01 PM by owenj492 »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 05:21:38 PM »
In reference to the chamber and bore, that was just another thing you can do with the Big45...not necessarily this. I love that product.

I don't have experience filling holes...just clean the heck out of them and blue over what's there...oil and hope to not repeat.  I have a bubba gun made from a letter gun barreled action that has tons of pitting below the stock line. Since it isn't original, perhaps I will just see what you do and how it turns out?

As far as aftermarket stocks go, I recommend the Choate drag stock, AK mags fit just dandy and the LOP without spacers is about perfect for a good irons picture. There is that D stock on eBay...that might be an option though. If I didn't have so many pokes at the wife's tolerance gun wise in the last couple months I would grab it. Problem is determining if it's for a pinned barrel or not....I think those varied a bit.  Actual sporter stocks are insane money right now.  I set mine aside to keep it nice, and allow myself some bubba time with the sporter for the time being. :)

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 06:24:58 PM »
I got one im running in a tapco t6 with tech sights.  Ive got an m im running in a bedded tapco t6 with an aluminum m4 adapter and bravo b5 stock.

owenj492

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »
I have a "Lucky Shot Wood Stock" SKS stock for my project that I am going to use, I got it off of Ebay awhile back cheap and stripped the ugly brown stain from it, I've decided to go matte black on that stock, and the firearm itself, no updates yet, but when there are any, I will update this post.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
If your gun is pitted that bad why not work with it and not against it.I suggest bead blasting the whole thing to hide the pitting and then reblue with birchwwood casey super blue or mark lee's express rust blue.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

owenj492

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 08:37:22 PM »
Tell me more about bead blasting, sounds like something I should try.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 11:43:45 PM »
I think you could take much of it down with progressively finer files and bead blast with a garnet media or similar for a duller matte finish and then parkerize or phosphate finish.I've seen this done to heavily rusted and pitted guns on other boards and they turned out good.

Here's an example of a before;

and a after of the same gun;

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

owenj492

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 08:50:13 AM »
Any suggestions on having a 3rd party do it for me for a price? I do like the results, and it really bugs me on the pitting, especially since it is a 1992.

Offline auskip07

• Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
i would try contacting a local gunsmith.  they usually have the ability to do this type of work (depending on the gunsmith)  I dont see any viability in sending it off since shipping both ways will add to the cost.