Author Topic: Thompson Center Compass in .308  (Read 1238 times)

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
Thompson Center Compass in .308
« on: September 10, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »
Anyone else own a Thompson Center Compass .308? (or other caliber) Mounted a Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 scope with Vortex rings and afterwards I checked the action screws (front and behind trigger, bottom of rifle) and noticed they were not even hand tight, so after checking the manual and looking online with no help, I contacted T/C (part of Smith & Wesson) and asked what the torque specs were for the action screws, they replied with "Thank you for contacting Thompson Center. We do not have torque specifications for that model. We recommend hand tightening those screws."

Is it me or does that seem odd that they would reply with that kind of answer, plus if anyone owns this type (believe it's GEN 1) let me know what you have done to fix the issue, I was thinking maybe 20-30 inch/lbs with blue thread locker?

Note this feature: "Aluminum pillar bedding with a bedding system that positively locates the receiver and free-floats the barrel for outstanding accuracy."

https://www.tcarms.com/pdfs/uploads/manuals/TC_Compass_Spec_Sheet_2016.pdf

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Re: Thompson Center Compass in .308
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
I think what they probably mean is that due to the style of assembly there is no requirement for a torque. In other word, as long as you don't strip the threads you are good to go.
If you don't want the screws to back out then yes, a dab of blue loc-tite and as tight as you can get it with a hand screw driver and you should be good.(as long as you're not a gorilla) Having said that, keep in mind, blue loc-tite is usually reserved for things like muzzle devices and scope mounts whereas action screws are not usually given any type of locking chemical.
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

owenj492

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Thompson Center Compass in .308
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »
Greatguns thanks for the reply, I have a new EGW scope rail coming in the mail in a few days so I'm going to remove the action from the stock and see how the stock is made, might just be aluminum inserts in the plastic stock for all I know! Also looking into aftermarket stocks as an option.