Author Topic: Gunstock wax, Oatey Johni-Ring Toilet Wax?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline SCC30Arms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Gunstock wax, Oatey Johni-Ring Toilet Wax?
« on: May 02, 2021, 02:51:44 PM »
I am currently working on two SKS carbines and have been researching what wax to use on stocks. Lately, I've been watching Mark Novak and his Anvil series (great gunsmith who does work on the firearms used on the Primer series that C&Rsenal does) and he uses Oatey Johni-Ring Toilet Wax for waxing the stocks he restores to give them the look of a stock that is around a century or more in age. His results have intrigued me and has made me think about trying it out. However, I don't really see anyone else discussing the use of this stuff on gunstocks.

Anyone else have insights into the use of this toilet ring wax on a gunstock? I am still thinking about other stock wax such as Tom's 1/3 Mix Military Gunstock Wax.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Gunstock wax, Oatey Johni-Ring Toilet Wax?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:12:43 PM »
This is a new one for me. After having pulled many of them off and putting new ones on in my years during various renovations, I’m surprised they would work well for a gun application. That wax is simply nasty nasty stuff when it’s been setting there for 20 years.

I don’t love using a stock seeping cosmoline, I’d probably hate a sticky feeling stock worse. Maybe my imagination about how a stock treated with the stuff would feel is way off base though.  dntknw1

Offline SCC30Arms

• Newber
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 09:48:52 PM »
This is a new one for me. After having pulled many of them off and putting new ones on in my years during various renovations, I’m surprised they would work well for a gun application. That wax is simply nasty nasty stuff when it’s been setting there for 20 years.

I don’t love using a stock seeping cosmoline, I’d probably hate a sticky feeling stock worse. Maybe my imagination about how a stock treated with the stuff would feel is way off base though.  dntknw1

Thanks, I am thinking now that I'll let someone else experiment with this toilet ring wax and will go with Tom's 1/3 Mix. Not doubting Mark Novak, but I just find it strange that no one else goes along with this kind of wax.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 11:22:28 PM »
If he restores antiques and such he is probably doing for the look and for preservation more than anything because the firearm is going to be either a wall hanger, safe queen, and/or conversation piece. More than likely it will not be shot much if at all.
For a functioning firearm one is going to shoot on a regular basis it probably isn't a good idea. BLO, Tung oil, Linseed oil are more modern wood soaking products that dry hard, protect, and won't liquefy when they get hot, which wax will do.

Save the wax for your skis and surf boards. rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 02:44:40 AM »
Toilet ring wax is definitely a new one to me.

Keep in mind that historic firearm collectors (like antique furniture collectors) don’t typically restore stocks, instead they preserve their history by leaving them alone, or using a period correct treatment, e.g. Ballistol for cleaning/oiling German K98k rifle stocks (unless they are still dry, then leave them alone); raw tung oil for WWII US rifles; raw linseed oil for WWI to early WWII US, Lee-Enfields, etc.  :) Not to come off trying to sound morally superior, probably everyone of us has refinished at least one stock, I’m just adding my opinion.

Of course shooters will refinish stocks to get a coating of suitable durability for whatever service role they plan for their firearm.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 11:10:43 AM »
Never heard of that one before, but I'll definitely check out the videos.

As far as refinishing goes, I'm more of the Tung and BLO philosophy.

If you say that out loud it sounds, well, more interesting........
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 10:53:00 PM »
Never heard of that one before, but I'll definitely check out the videos.

As far as refinishing goes, I'm more of the Tung and BLO philosophy.

If you say that out loud it sounds, well, more interesting........

chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1 chuckles1.....gotta be Navy wink1!!

As an aside, Boiled Linseed Oil is what I've used for years on pretty much all of my stocks. Cheers, Bruce.

Offline hoopharted

• go head,pull my finger
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
  • Hillbilly Indian
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »
i use saddle soap on both stocks and leather slings
There are going to be two types of people in this world , those without toilet paper , and those with plenty of ammo to protect their toilet paper

Offline Rotorranch

• Cadet
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 03:04:59 PM »
I have heard that in the past. Supposed to work good,  from what the old folks said.

Never tried it myself.

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 07:33:04 PM »
As for using the toilet ring wax to finish stocks, I'm just not flushed with excitement, so I don't have to keep a lid on my emotions.  I think it might be a waste of time and money washed down the drain. whistle12

Offline Rotorranch

• Cadet
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 02:11:02 PM »
As for using the toilet ring wax to finish stocks, I'm just not flushed with excitement, so I don't have to keep a lid on my emotions.  I think it might be a waste of time and money washed down the drain. whistle12

🤣🤣🤣

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 04:00:48 PM »

Exactly  thumb1 rofl

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 08:04:29 AM »
... morally superior...

Isn't she a nun?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »
... morally superior...

Isn't she a nun?

chuckles1 I have not heard that title before but it sounds plausible  ;)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »
Waxing and then buffing your wood... think1  I mean..... just maybe Mr. Miyagi was on to something..Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off :o

But hey... in today's times... its what ever floats your boat, and gets you there.. thumb1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dedeagach

• Cadet
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2022, 01:08:48 PM »
I am curious how the different brands of wax might differ. It is common that a company will sell the exact same product in different packaging for a mark-up in different industry. You also might look at car waxes. My thought is all the above are based on petroleum and not beeswax.