Author Topic: Slovenian HG Pic Thread  (Read 23915 times)

Offline Jack Flag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Newber
Re: Slovenian HG Pic Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 02:37:09 PM »
Nice...... drool2

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
Dang, that's gorgeous bartski!  thumb1

It has a really fine grain wood.  I guess that led to the earlier mistaken reports around the internet that they were painted.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »
Can someone PLEASE take the butt off of one of these HG rifles and compare it side/side with a standard 59/66?  We need to determine if these are just modified standard stocks or if Slovenia made their own like several other nations.  Pics are a must.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bartski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
Dang, that's gorgeous bartski!  thumb1

It has a really fine grain wood.  I guess that led to the earlier mistaken reports around the internet that they were painted.

Yeah, it's definitely wood... Just really nice wood! The finish is similar to a modern off the shelf rifle, like a 10/22, for example.

Loose Cannon,
I've looked closely at the butt pad, as far as I can tell it seems to be permanently affixed. I'm not brave enough to get too rough with it!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
Its a padded 'whiteline' butt.  If you look close where the screws are normally, you will see the rubber is punctured.  When screwed on, the rubber simply swallowes the head of the screw.  Just stick a screw driver into the rubber/hole and take out the screws. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline bartski

• Newber
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »
Its a padded 'whiteline' butt.  If you look close where the screws are normally, you will see the rubber is punctured.  When screwed on, the rubber simply swallowes the head of the screw.  Just stick a screw driver into the rubber/hole and take out the screws.
I gave it a shot. Loosened the screws, tapped the pad a few times, and got nothing. It's either glued too, or I'm too much of a wuss to get it off. It'll have to be another guy!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »
Laff..  Thanks for trying.  We really need to determine if these are Slovenian mad stocks. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
Are you able to do some side/side of the action inleting compared to a standard 59/66 stock?

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 10:18:14 PM »
I gave it a shot. Loosened the screws, tapped the pad a few times, and got nothing. It's either glued too, or I'm too much of a wuss to get it off. It'll have to be another guy!

Heh, you're braver than I would have been!   thumb1

If anyone does take the receiver out of the stock, please be sure to get a picture of the barrel lug and any numerals & stampings on it please. I'm assuming these are std. 59/66 barrels and not chrome lined replacements?

Offline bartski

• Newber
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2015, 06:10:30 AM »

Heh, you're braver than I would have been!   thumb1

If anyone does take the receiver out of the stock, please be sure to get a picture of the barrel lug and any numerals & stampings on it please. I'm assuming these are std. 59/66 barrels and not chrome lined replacements?

I'll probably try to field strip it tomorrow or Wednesday to look at stamps and get some more cosmo out... I'll post pics, of course.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 11:39:29 AM »
Picked up my 28 year old rifle yesterday. This old Protocol M59/66A1 doesn't look too bad  :o

LEFT

RIGHT

SN

AN on BARREL SHANK

WOOD GRAIN

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 10:06:25 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 11:58:35 AM »
Sure dont look like elm to me.

Looks fantastic...  Great score!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 12:03:56 PM »
Sure dont look like elm to me.

Looks fantastic...  Great score!
Thanks!

Google fine grain beech. I'm no wood expert but that looks like a plausible candidate.

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
Awesome P32, thanks for sharing. Is the 23876 that is EP'd on the trigger EP'd on several other parts also?

So did you really hang it from the charging handle through a hole in your fence in a couple of those pictures?  :o If I tried that it would have dropped to the ground for sure.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 12:55:32 PM »
Awesome P32, thanks for sharing. Is the 23876 that is EP'd on the trigger EP'd on several other parts also?

That's the only place I've seen it but I have not broken down this SKS yet. I'm reluctant to scratch the bluing on the screws or receiver cover  rofl but eventually I'll do it...very carefully. The one that LC shows on his slightly higher SN A series has the same first three digits (238##). Subtraction of the SNs (difference = 79) vs. subtraction of these "assembly" numbers (difference = 16) doesn't yield the same gap.  I hypothesize that they hand-selected some at Zastava for conversion to Protocol rifles, not a single block, and that the electro-penciled numbers correspond to those protocol rifles. Big leap on the basis of two examples, and not having torn either one down yet.  Also, the large number, 23876, means either my hypothesis is plain wrong, or the first two or three digits have another meaning other than a simple serialization (because I doubt that 24000 of these were made).  We'll see as we get deeper into the internals, and as we have more examples to compare.  The booklet doesn't say anything about manufacture or conversion at any other facility, it only mentions CZ (Crvena Zastava, Red Flag), so I suspect these Protokolarna rifles were converted at Zastava.  Again, negative evidence (no other manufacturer listed) doesn't prove this, just a working hypothesis.

So did you really hang it from the charging handle through a hole in your fence in a couple of those pictures?  :o If I tried that it would have dropped to the ground for sure.

Yeah, I thought 2 or 3 times about actually doing that, but I tested the hold of the knot hole on the charging handle and found it to be secure, so I went with it  :o  chuckles1

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2015, 02:31:16 PM »
Of the very few Slovenian HG pictures I have seen they all appear to have the 23### EP'd on them.
Yours - Serial # A-709840, EP'd # 23876
LC's  - Serial #A-709919 , EP'd # 23892
Off sksboards -  Serial # A- 709843, EP'd # 23916

Bartski - Serial # U-682826, EP'd ???

Just curious what the reason is for these "assembly" numbers?

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2015, 02:35:44 PM »
Hmm, my thoughts above about where they were converted are clearly an over-simplification. As LC just reminded me of all of the changes in countries that were occurring in the early 90s... think1

Of the very few Slovenian HG pictures I have seen they all appear to have the 23### EP'd on them.

Bartski - Serial # U-682826, EP'd ???

Thanks for compiling the numbers. The EP'd numbers have some story to tell...just not sure what yet.

Offline bartski

• Newber
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »

Bartski - Serial # U-682826, EP'd 96588

I only see the EP'd number on the trigger guard, so far.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:51 PM »
Look under the cover and on the right side of internal mag when outer is swung down.

Offline bartski

• Newber
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 02:58:53 PM »
Yup, it's there... same number. I see evidence of more EP on the barrel where it meets the receiver, when I get the stock off, I'll see what it is.

Look under the cover and on the right side of internal mag when outer is swung down.