Poll

Why don't you like Yugo M59/66A1s?

Non-chrome lined barrel keeps you up at night wondering if you cleaned well enough after a range trip.
1 (10%)
Extra 20 pounds of grenade launcher tires you out quickly at the range.
2 (20%)
Tritium night sights irradiating your gonads (AKA you might want to have kids someday).
0 (0%)
Flip up grenade launcher sight ladder looks exactly like one that has been *proven* to belong on a Romanian...
0 (0%)
Corroded gas cutoff worries keep you worrying that the gun will fail you during SHTF.
4 (40%)
Teak wood stock doesn't match the hardwood paneling in your gun room.
1 (10%)
You're a racist bastard and simply don't like don't like Slavs in general.
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Why don't you like Yugo M59/66A1s?  (Read 12347 times)

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Why don't you like Yugo M59/66A1s?
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
Ok all kidding aside, there are many members here that have said they simply don't like M59/66s.  I'm one of them.  I dislike the complexity of the darned things.  Too many extra bells and whistles that don't serve a purpose in the civilian market at all.  I guess if the GL were a true muzzle brake I might view things a wee bit differently. 

Anywhoo, for those of you that dislike them, let me hear the real reasons why.

For those that simply love them, chime in too!  thumb1

Offline carls sks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Why don't you like Yugo M59/66A1s?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
as a newbie to gun collecting, I had not even heard of them before this latest offering.  banghead1  the price right now is what keeping me from getting one. they do look cool.  8)
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:56:42 PM »
running-man I do not have a problem with the M59, but as you say there is too many "bells and whistles" on the front of the 59/66 that is detracting in my opinion.

I am a purists however I have no use for a grenade launcher that my regime doesn't allow me to use!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
They are great...  Where is that option?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline armedhippie

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • Love your family and keep your powder dry.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »

thumb1

I'll admit when I 1st started seeing these, That I used to kinda "laugh and point" at 'em and thought that the grenade launcher was a bit silly but.....That all changed when I picked up my 1st Cherry's. ( I didn't get it because it was a Cherry's, I was just ready to add a YUGO to the fold.)

I would love to have another 2 or 3 even ( prob will eventually) Yeah they are heavy and the ole Grenade launcher isint very practical but hey, who here hasn't thought of how cool it would be to get some good grenade blanks and launch a few practice grens...Matter of fact I think that's on my ole bucket list  :))

To the point, I like 'em and think they spice up the SKS collection. Probably the only reason I have just the 1 is because they don't pop up very often around here and I've developed... a bit of a Chinese fetish these days  rofl
Hippies are like stray cats...Feed 'em once and they never leave...then they stink up your couch.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 08:51:24 PM »
I don't dislike them...I actually really liked mine. I guess for me, they aren't as "special" because they made them for decades and only made 3 minor changes. In other words... they aren't overly collectible to me.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »

thumb1

I'll admit when I 1st started seeing these, That I used to kinda "laugh and point" at 'em and thought that the grenade launcher was a bit silly but.....That all changed when I picked up my 1st Cherry's. ( I didn't get it because it was a Cherry's, I was just ready to add a YUGO to the fold.)

I would love to have another 2 or 3 even ( prob will eventually) Yeah they are heavy and the ole Grenade launcher isint very practical but hey, who here hasn't thought of how cool it would be to get some good grenade blanks and launch a few practice grens...Matter of fact I think that's on my ole bucket list  :))

To the point, I like 'em and think they spice up the SKS collection. Probably the only reason I have just the 1 is because they don't pop up very often around here and I've developed... a bit of a Chinese fetish these days  rofl

^this...word for word.

I am gonna go drool next to my Cherry's for a minute...and try regain my composure...then find a mop and perhaps some Windex should my spittle get anywhere near the bore.... 

I cannot vote in this poll.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
I don't hate them, well, hold up a sec..... :o

I bought mine in 1999, from Numrich, an "I" serial for a whopping $159 OTD, ammo was 1.99 a box of Brown Bear, my first milsurp weapon, many, many thousands of dollars later, arguements with the wifey and 3 big azz safes, lets also add 3 C&R renewals later, I still have that beat to death toad.. It's a love hate relationship...I love to hate it, but hate to get rid of my first love..

So, I keep her, safe and used, take her out, curse it to the moon, beat her and shoot it, then take her home and lovingly clean and caress it.

So, is it love or hate, tell me, that joyful POS is the root of evil, but I love it in a sick way... bat1 rofl2

This didn't fit any option....
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »
They are the best...   Where's that option? 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 10:25:28 PM »
"Added weight reveals how big of a weenie I am in front of my buddies". 

Where is that option?     rofl

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 10:51:03 PM »
'I don't like durable dense Elm wood stocks...  I prefer the Balsa like features of Chu and Birch'

Can we add this one please?   :P

Offline SKhiSm 59-66A1

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
  • My God, they have a Weaselpecker with them.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:04:04 PM »
'I don't like durable dense Elm wood stocks...  I prefer the Balsa like features of Chu and Birch'

chuckles1
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife."

Daniel Boone

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
At least the rifles last longer than the Yugo auto.. thumb1 rofl2

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 11:46:55 PM »

Yeah...  American cars from the 80s were primo!    wink1

I would drive a Zastava...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »

Uh, yeah, ok, keep your Yugo,  give me a '87 Buick Grand National.. Maybe a 1987 Dodge Shelby

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 09:14:39 AM »
"Added weight reveals how big of a weenie I am in front of my buddies". 

Where is that option?     rofl

Actually, a Yugo log installed on a paratrooper makes it possible to handle it like a pistol with ease due to the shift in COG...  thankyou1

I hate them because of this one time, at the boards, when I posted "I'll take it" on a REALLY nice one for $350 shipped where the seller declared that "the first I'll take it gets it", and then the guy sells it to a 2 post newb that posted in the tread after me to encourage a new member... who has yet to return. That one is probably in Tapco by now...
The first one I actually bought ended like this:
Quote from: Oli;2912213
I bought a rifle from dwmmg08, described by him as in overall very good condition with a good bore, but when it arrived it had a worn, pitted bore and X's scratched into the stock which were cropped from the photos provided. The cleaning rod looks like it has driven a few squibs from the barrel as well.
I PM'ed my concerns and he offered to refund the purchase price or compensate the difference in value, but after I accepted his offer to return the rifle a week ago and asked for an FFL to return it to there has been no reply, even though he has been on the forum.
His communication is lacking as well as his inbox is always full, and after he promised to send tracking numbers on the rifle none were ever delivered.
One good point is that he did package the rifle well, and shipped two days after receiving payment. However it took another email on my part to find out when I could expect the rifle to arrive so I would know when to go pick it up.

Update 3/31: Tried to fire the rifle, it won't cycle, and shoots minute of barn door. After learning I had left feedback dwmmg finally replied with stories of planning but none of doing, and made an offer to recompense which I accepted. Since then there has been no contact or recompense so it is pretty well a write-off parts gun and a lesson learned.

I still have the trigger group, boat paddle, and gas piston, and that is enough Yugo for me at this point. It takes a nice Romanian, Russian, or Chinese to get me going...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:24:33 AM by Stoned_Oli »

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »
I just think they are butt ugly. I even think the Albanian is sleeker looking than a 59/66 or 59/66A1. Who doesn't think a standard SKS be it Russian, Romanian, Chinese, M59, etc... is just plan sexy? think1

I have shot a couple 59/66 or 59/66A1 (Honestly did not know the difference until a day or so ago, so not sure which one), and I can't say it shot bad. It went bang when I pulled the trigger, and hit what I was aiming at.

Offline escobert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:15 AM »
Ugly, and the grenade launcher serves no purpose for me.
"Stella quarta decima fulgeat. May the 14th star shine bright."

Article 16th. Right to bear arms; standing armies; military power subordinate to civil -  Vermont Constitution

That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State - and as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.

Offline Direct Connection

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
  • California is where reality goes to die.
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »

Uh, yeah, ok, keep your Yugo,  give me a '87 Buick Grand National.. Maybe a 1987 Dodge Shelby

Ha ha Now that Buick Grand National was the ticket ! Would you like a Black one ? :) I remember one back in the 80's and the license plate frame said " I could of had a V8' as it flew by me in my 86 Thunderbird.. oops

For the OP question of the day.. I didn't so much mind the length and extra weight as much as the gas system issues.. Defiantly this would be my last choice of a go to sks in a shtf situation. 

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
I don't like my Yugo's. I LOVE THEM. One is a neutered Yugo, barrel chop to 16 3/8, re-crown 11deg, "M" style stock, a G9 adapter, AR 15 type FH, Murray SS gas block, Tapco gas tube and piston, new hammer and sear, DFB mod, 922r compliant.

The other is a 'safe queen', cherry Cherry's Yugo. Likely won't be touched.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.