Author Topic: This was my first top to bottom complete AR build...  (Read 5628 times)

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
This was my first top to bottom complete AR build...
« on: August 29, 2016, 02:56:47 PM »
I built a lower before this and bought the upper but this one is my first top to bottom complete AR build.  I built the entire upper and lower.

I am actually pretty proud of this rifle.

Offline carls sks

• Sharp-Shooter
Re: This was my first top to bottom complete AR build...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 06:41:52 PM »
nice job. thumb1 ....... have a few AR15's I put together (got complete uppers and complete lowers, that's my limit of expertise  :o)  from  PSA.
ARMY NAM VET, SO PROUD!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:00:29 PM »
Nice looking setup and nice glass  thumb1  8)

Offline Stoned_Oli

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
Nice looking setup and nice glass  thumb1  8)

Me likey as well.

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 04:45:30 PM »
I am glad you all like the Leupold.  I am a fan myself.  Generally speaking I've come to appreciate better optics.  I can't afford the tip top of the line but I can't afford the tip top of the line rifles either.  Unfortunately I do have to confess those pictures are from right after I built it and I have changed the configuration some since.  Once of those changes is that the Leupold is not currently sitting on top of the rifle.  Other changes are that the grip is now a MagPul MOE+ rubber over-molded grip and I added a MagPul BAD lever.  The optic that is currently sitting atop this rifle is a Trijicon ACON TA-11H.

At the time of these photos that optic was on my LMT which I recently traded away sans optic.

Which does remind me I need to take new pictures LOL...

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 06:37:27 PM »
Well holy cow...when you doffed the Leupold and donned the Trijicon ACOG, you sure didn't step down in quality  :o  8)

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Nope I can't say that I did.  The best thing I like about the ACOG's is that they are never "off".  The LMT was my first AR and I paid a premium for it but as I learned more about AR's I decided to build my own that was more specifically what I would have gotten when I bought the LMT if I knew then what I know now.  Now I have all the tools I need to work on the AR and the knowledge to put one together from scratch.  The LMT wasn't getting much love now that I have the other one so I traded it a short time ago for the M1 Carbine I have.  I know full well that the dollar value of the LMT was higher than the carbine and it certainly fed more reliably but I wanted a period Carbine in my collection and I am at an age now that what matters most to me isn't necessarily always based on dollar values. 

This is the ACOG on LMT:

I will say that LMT does make one fine and very accurate rifle...  but then when yu pay that kind of money you expect that level of quality too.  The same goes with the ACOG's and the Leupolds.  Strangely the ACOG was far more important for me to keep than the LMT was.  I guess because I can build another AR piece by piece but I would have to pay for a new ACOG all in one shot.

All that being said there are even a few things I might change on the one I built now were I to do it again.  Although not necessarily drastic design changes but more specific product.  Most notably the front rail.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:23:42 AM by SubCaliber »

Offline sksmcrossvilletn

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 06:12:20 AM »
Looks good. I was actually building one myself but it's taken a temporary hiatus due to some medical problems and medical bills I've incurred. I hope that by the new year I should have it at least built and assembled!

Offline SubCaliber

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
Looks good. I was actually building one myself but it's taken a temporary hiatus due to some medical problems and medical bills I've incurred. I hope that by the new year I should have it at least built and assembled!

I can sure relate to that.  I haven't bought or built anything this year for the same reason...  :(