Author Topic: threaded barrel  (Read 12269 times)

Offline mike16

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
threaded barrel
« on: July 15, 2016, 03:35:14 AM »
How can you tell if a barrel is threaded into the reciever or not?

who makes the  threaded barrel/reciever sks's?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: threaded barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
The long lug threaded barrel was used at arsenal /26\ up until 1964 where the transition to short lug threaded barrel happened.  This leads us to believe any Long lug found on a non 26 gun must mean that arsenal was using left over stock from 26 as all other arsenals came along post 1964. There are a few non 26 arsenals that used these long barrels of early 26 years, but I dont think we have a complete list yet and they also seem to have transitioned from log to short and then to pinned at diffent points.  You can also find long lugs on scrubbed guns that were most likely originally/26\ guns.

The short lug was introduced at /26\ in 1964 and continued throughout production.  Other arsenals used these short lugs in the same manner as the long lugs above, and most transitioned to pinned barrels at one point or another. 

For the most part..... non 26 guns are all over the map in regards to when they started assembly of the sks, what type of barrel they started with, what type of barrel they ended with, and when said transitions took place. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 11:00:23 AM »
Like LC says, Chinese are the only ones to have experimented with differing lugs.  Everyone else pretty much used the std. long lug from the original Russian design.

Long Threaded lug: Early Chinese, all Albanian, all Romanian, all Yugoslavian, all Russian, all East German, all NVA (likely early Chinese), North Korean (some with a somewhat modified tapered long lug)
Short Threaded Lug: mid to late (1964 to 1984) Chinese, varying factories.
Pressed & Pinned Lug: late (post 1970) Chinese, varying factories.

You will also find Chinese long and short lug barrels that have been retrofitted/refurbed to become pressed and pinned barrels with pins securing them in place instead of threads. 

Offline mike16

• Newber
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:56:15 PM »
so if its threaded, its got a bit of a flange that mates up to the front reciever. if its  press fitted and pinned its got a pin or what looks like a rivet going through the reciever below the barrel.

that pin, is it visible when the rifle is assembled? or does the rifle have to be disassembled to an extent to see the rivet.

I'm shopping for my first SKS and so far I think I want a threaded barrel SKS with matching numbers and all machined parts. No sheetmetal or cast recievers.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »
Yes...  its a pin that goes straight through left/right.  You cannot see it unless disassembled.  Unless its one of the cast receivers that has two vertical pins. 

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 10:13:15 PM »
so if its threaded, its got a bit of a flange that mates up to the front reciever. if its  press fitted and pinned its got a pin or what looks like a rivet going through the reciever below the barrel.

that pin, is it visible when the rifle is assembled? or does the rifle have to be disassembled to an extent to see the rivet.

I'm shopping for my first SKS and so far I think I want a threaded barrel SKS with matching numbers and all machined parts. No sheetmetal or cast recievers.

An early numbers matching rifle is definitely nice to have. But don't discredit a pinned barrel later model. They are just as good as the threaded models.

As for a cast or sheet metal receiver.... they are very uncommon, so not likely you'll come across one. As a matter of fact, some feel they are collectable, so if you DO come across one for sale, let us know here on the forum and give someone a chance to grab it.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:26:58 AM »
Also the Public Security Forces variant can be found with pinned barrels. thumb1

Pinned or threaded is not a deal breaker for me, all most all the stamped Aks are pinned barrels, the Vz58 is pinned also. There are no known durability issues (look at the numbers of problem free pinned barrel Aks world wide) or accuracy difference between them and some will swear a pinned barrel is just a tad more accurate. For China it was a time and material savings considering how many Aks they were making, they just carried the process over to the SKS in certain factories to simplify things.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »
Mike16 I know I'm repeating, for the most part, what others have said but the pinned barrel simply looks different, it's as good a carbine as any of the others.  My wife has a pinned barrel carbine and it is, hands down, the best shooter of our SKS carbines.

Offline mike16

• Newber
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
the reason I'm asking about a threaded barrel is because I would like to replace it with larger diameter barrel and prefer a threaded barrel for this project. kind of a bench rest accuracy thing. So I have arrived at a point where I have decided I want an SKS with matching numbers, milled bits, and a threaded barrel.

looking at the Yugo's. there seems to be many on the shelf at several gun shops. Prices a bit high. other than yugo's what would  anybody reccomend.

Thanks

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
the reason I'm asking about a threaded barrel is because I would like to replace it with larger diameter barrel and prefer a threaded barrel for this project. kind of a bench rest accuracy thing. So I have arrived at a point where I have decided I want an SKS with matching numbers, milled bits, and a threaded barrel.

looking at the Yugo's. there seems to be many on the shelf at several gun shops. Prices a bit high. other than yugo's what would  anybody reccomend.

Thanks

Ah ok....  you should talk to Loose Cannon about that. He made a bench rest SKS and used a larger diameter barrel from something else.

Definitely don't get a pinned.....you will NOT be able to remove it. lol

Offline mike16

• Newber
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »
I dont meane to be beating a dead horse but I thought I saw it move a little bit...

I like the grenade launching yugo's. seems there are alot of nice to mint ones around. they are all milled parts. and unless I misread some posts above ...they all have threaded barrels.

I think I saw Loose cannons SKS. it inspired me  plus a bit of a what if senario. not to raise the bar ... higher than my stool. but I was aiming for one that will use front and rear iron sights and is semi auto.

I have some machining skills and think I can pull it off

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »
Dead horse time  yahoo1  .... rockon banana time

What milled parts are you concerned with? The only stamped pieces and parts would be found on most later Chinese.

Along with Yugoslavian, the Russians, Romanians, Albanians and I'd guess 65-75% Chinese are all long lug threaded barrels. Also, why would a short lug not work, it's still the same threaded receiver for a larger barrel, if your replacing the barrel, why does lug design matter, as long as it's threaded?

You said a larger diameter barrel, for x39 or what, a .300BLK, 6.5 Grendel or what, .243 ultra short mag... :o  Reading all these posts, all you have said is you want to install a heavier barrel and make it semiauto.. Whats the end game??  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 11:29:15 PM »
A heavy bull barreled rifle based on the sks platform..... duh.   dance2

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 11:57:12 PM »
A heavy bull barreled rifle based on the sks platform..... duh.   dance2

uh....duh, no sh*t sherlock thumb1 Gee, even I guessed that

Offline mike16

• Newber
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 01:39:16 AM »
I found a type 66 Yugo for sale, nice used mixmaster. interesting. In Dannyboy's reply#7 there is the picture of the threaded nut on the side of his furniture. The one I'm looking at  the  nut looks like it was ground with a dremel disk grinder.. asking price seems a bit steep at 400$.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 03:23:19 AM »
Thats the crossbolt.. If it looks ground, the stock might have been sanded or worse, the crossbolt may have been removed and reinstalled. Not a real good sign in my book.