Author Topic: POSSIBLE "M" BARRELED PROJECT  (Read 3838 times)

Offline LKermit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
POSSIBLE "M" BARRELED PROJECT
« on: December 18, 2017, 03:05:54 AM »
Hey, y'all.

I recently was fortunate enough to win an auction for a beautiful little "M" , which has had the receiver chopped in half.  (I know!)  Seller does NOT have the stub. 

My thoughts for this little piece of joy are threefold:

1). Pull the receiver stub and sell the whole barrel as a single part.

2). Same as above but press the barrel (pinned and pressed) into a donor receiver, for a
unique "paratrooper" length rifle.

3.)  Utilize a rear half receiver stub to weld up a new "M" type receiver and smile from ear to ear.

The receiver on the "M" has been chop saw cut and would be a snap for a real welder to repair.
I may even have a spare receiver laying around here somewhere.  I have not seen the kit yet, so will have to inspect the remaining receiver section for reference.

I would appreciate everyone's input on this little (pipe?) dream.  Doable?  Plausible?  Lemme know!

KTF

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: POSSIBLE "M" BARRELED PROJECT
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »
#2 would be awesome, but you'll need to have a pretty good press.  Those barrels aren't lightly pressed in place, I'd call it a heavy press fit or interference fit.  LC has some photos of a pressed & pinned barrel on a receiver stub that he took apart.  It was eye opening to say the least. 

I think #3 could easily work, just depends on how tight you can make your clearances.  Headspacing that badboy is going to be interesting.  You may wind up with a bolt that only works in this gun and no other.

Whatever it is you decide to do, post up the process!  It'll be a fascinating journey I think!  Very kool project for certain! thumb1

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
Cool.  I can tell you this, it will NOT be yours truly doing the welding or machining.  Unfortunately, I only may have one resource, and not sure if they would even touch a rifle.  They do drag race cars, so I know that  they have the tools.  So, off to make some phone calls.  Thanks, man!

Wish me good luck!

KTF

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »
KTF, be careful. You may be violating federal law if you weld the receiver back. I think that falls under 'manufacturing', requiring an 03FFL. I bet part of the original serial # is missing as well.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:25 PM »
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

Last Reviewed November 6, 2017

As long as he does not sell it.. he can repair it, selling it later could define him as a manufacture, if one wants to get picky. Also, it does not fall under NFA, and it is not even listed as a Destructive Device controlled weapon, so a Class 3 would not be needed. It would not be much different than buying and completing an 80% AR lower at home, or rewelding Stens, Suomis, PPShs and other Aks, RPKs from demilled kits, and with those, you would have the extra step of converting to semiauto.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
KTF, be careful. You may be violating federal law if you weld the receiver back. I think that falls under 'manufacturing', requiring an 03FFL. I bet part of the original serial # is missing as well.

Marcus

Marcus:

Thanks for the heads up.  I haven't seen the receiver yet, but, lets suppose that the entire number is missing.  Could it not then be "created" for my own use, so long as it is not re-sold?  I could stamp my own serial number.  Or , I could just separate it and re-sell the barrel and accessories, assuming we can successfully remove the receive stub.

Thoughts?

KTF

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »

Marcus

Marcus:

Thanks for the heads up.  I haven't seen the receiver yet, but, lets suppose that the entire number is missing.  Could it not then be "created" for my own use, so long as it is not re-sold?  I could stamp my own serial number.  Or , I could just separate it and re-sell the barrel and accessories, assuming we can successfully remove the receive stub.

Thoughts?

KTF

You can legally build your own firearm, as long as it's not an NFA firearm, and you do not sell it. DO NOT put a serial on it. That will classify you as a manufacturer.

I really don't know why people chop up receivers. I assume it's so they can sell the parts easier. Personally, I would much rather sell a good barreled action and make more money, and just ship it to an FFL. That doesn't require any more effort on the sellers part.

Also keep in mind that an SKS-M is a short gas system gun, so you will need to shorten a standard gas tube, and piston to fit. Not a big deal.

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 03:12:43 AM »
Thanks, Power Surge. 

The rifle is complete, save for the rear half of the receiver.  All peripheral pieces and a beautiful Monte Carlo stock with all metal is there.  Gas tube and cover, both rods and springs, trigger group, bolt and carrier too.  Only thing it doesn't come with is a magazine.

The seller left so much meat on the bone for me that I couldn't pass it up.  He reportedly bought it
in the state its in, already saw cut. 

I appreciate the heads up about the ID number.  Looks like I need to sell the complete barrel assembly as a unit. 

Your opinion, please?  Would you even bother trying to pull the receiver stub, or sell as is? 

Thanks again for your input

KTF

Offline 1mlt

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Marksman
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
Where are you going to find another back half of a receiver? I prolly would sell it as is and try and find a ready to go complete "M". Even if you do find a back half, there will be expenses for the welding and polishing out, bluing, ect. And you don't for sure it will run correctly after you put it back together.

Marcus
There is but one language in the USA, English.
Teddy R.

Offline LKermit

• Cadet
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
Marcus: 

Thank you for your input, also.  These are very loose plans I have tossed out, just to see what the more experienced among us thought about the possible full utilization of the parts. 

I think I will just explode it and sell the the barreled action as a unit, as is.

KTF