Author Topic: 18.5 inch rifles?  (Read 1622 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
18.5 inch rifles?
« on: February 20, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
Hi Fellas,

Anyone out there have or shot rifles that were commercially modified to 18.5 inches? Just curious as to their accuracy, if they're marginally "better", like the Paratroopers usually are.

I'm asking cause I recently scored on a Bubba job cut to that length, without a front sight. It has enough of the original muzzle tip to put a neutered FBS on, and I picked up a couple barreled receivers from SARCO, that I'm contemplating doing something similar to. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: 18.5 inch rifles?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 01:04:24 PM »
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »
I was wondering if there would be any advantage to that barrel length. The SARCO units I got both should be recrowned, and I like the neatness of just the FSB. They're going to be Bubba's mismatched abominations anyway, one in a Shernic, one in Drag, other in ??? I don't want to waste stock furniture, bayo, or rods on these.

I've got a muzzle facing tool, and an 11* crowning cutter to clean up the tips. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 03:19:23 AM »
Only one way to find out.. :)

There could be a slight gain in velocity vs a 16 inch, and I'm not sure how the gas system would act. Would it be like chopping a normal barrel to 16 inch and have gas system issues due to pressure changes and loss of some barrel length? Would one have to increase the port diameter?

Those 2 inches.... It can make a world of difference in... Pressure.  And other things  rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem