Author Topic: M91 (and other) Carcano's  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: M91 (and other) Carcano's
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 11:23:37 PM »
I have a feeling these Carcano's are going to be quite addictive. I kind of want the other varieties now. Slippery slope... yes4 yes4

Hiii Cz, welcome to Enablers Anonymous. rofl rofl

Enablers Anonymous think1.... naw.. we all know each other..  see you just need to be honest with yourself, talk to someone or a group that has suffered, be open, just seek help here and..... own it..literally... the first step is a doozy, it usually happens over and over, but you just gotta keep trying little buddy, change is never easy, it takes work.
 I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem... it's that easy. thumb1 I can see an SKS or a Mosin and not even breathe hard now.... other things however.... I'm working through. :o rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 11:59:03 PM »
I was good today. Exhibited control. Didn't order any more Carcano's and didn't bid on a 91/38 on GB.  thumb1

SKS is another story... Self-control is still lacking. Like you said... I didn't say I had a problem  rofl rofl rofl

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2020, 10:38:30 AM »
Same on control. I have had an issue my entire life of having to have two of everything, like I need some sort of backup if the first one breaks.  Car's etc. aren't possible, but man.. it is tough when it comes to firearms. 

I am fighting myself now and not ordering 2 more Carcano's to match the two I just got.   :P
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:13 AM »
Same on control. I have had an issue my entire life of having to have two of everything, like I need some sort of backup if the first one breaks.  Car's etc. aren't possible, but man.. it is tough when it comes to firearms. 

I am fighting myself now and not ordering 2 more Carcano's to match the two I just got.   :P

Cars is possible.... I have 2 Acura RDXs in my driveway, a 2010 and a 2012...  rofl rofl2  don't judge bat1

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »
Cars is possible.... I have 2 Acura RDXs in my driveway, a 2010 and a 2012...  rofl rofl2  don't judge bat1

Apologies, I should rephrase, not possible for me.. lol.  Never any judgement here.. I have way to many quirks to ever judge anyone else.  :)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »

Apologies, I should rephrase, not possible for me.. lol.  Never any judgement here.. I have way to many quirks to ever judge anyone else.  :)

Quirks make the world go around... thumb1 along with the mess of duplicates, there are even triplicates.. I have 3 Norinco JW-15s, 3 MAS 36s, 3 FR-8s.... like Oreos... you can't have just 1. Then there are 4plicates, and 5plicates.... rofl2

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »

Hey agrace, does that mean you have 2 wives? 2nd one is in case the 1st one breaks down????? :o :-\ rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 dance2 dance2
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »

Hey agrace, does that mean you have 2 wives? 2nd one is in case the 1st one breaks down????? :o :-\ rofl rofl chuckles1 chuckles1 dance2 dance2

Oh lord... I thought that too....but.. I ain't going there, the horror...the horror... :o pullhair1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »

None of the rest of us exhibit any type of Obsessive/Compulsive behavior...I have no idea what's wrong with you  :o  chuckles1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »

None of the rest of us exhibit any type of Obsessive/Compulsive behavior...I have no idea what's wrong with you  :o  chuckles1

Addiction...it creeps up on ya. thumb1 don't it P32  rofl2

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 01:49:31 PM »

Addiction...it creeps up on ya. thumb1 don't it P32  rofl2

I saw this statement somewhere think1

"I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem"

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 04:12:00 PM »

Nah.. that is like cars... I can only afford one... and I am barely doing that :D

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2021, 07:07:00 PM »
The bore looks like s**t.

That was not very nice of me to say. The bore needs to be downgraded. It is more like Rome's famous Cloaca Maxima as you can see for yourself. You can feel the jag hitting pits when you pull it back.

This afternoon I thought I'd spend few hours cleaning up the TS. Boy, that's a PROJECT gun. Some pitting and bluing loss under the wood line, some wood rot. LOTS of gunk and rust (most of it surface though). I did what I could but it'll take a few sessions to get it in shape. I doubt I'll ever shoot it. Don't trust this shotgun bore...

This is the first time I disassembled a Carcano and I've got to say it's a pretty nifty action, especially considering the vintage. Found a cool animation showing how it works:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/28/reconsidering-carcano/

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2021, 11:15:36 AM »
I wouldn't be scared to fire it, I have a few that when I got them, the bore was a patch shredder. After a few rounds, they turned out pretty decent.....for their given condition, and shoot ok.

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2021, 02:51:13 PM »
I've got an 1897 91/30 Hex that I picked up with a heap of other stuff from an estate sale. Got boolits but have never fired it. What type of sling should it have? PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »
Did I say Carcano's have the potential to be addictive. Well, they are. I relapsed and got myself another one (the one on the right in the family photo). Arguably, I'm most disappointed with the last one. I did expect a correct early one, not a refurb with a sanded stock and attached handguard. No cleaning rod either. Phosphorus32, was yours like that too?

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
Now you need the pole vaulting Carcano..

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 10:57:57 PM »
Very nice, GM!  thumb1

I do like the idea of long M91 very much, it'd go well with the other long ones of that time I have (Mosin and Rubin). It might have to wait, as there are plenty of other cavalry variations to get before the current import dries out  :)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2021, 10:21:06 PM »
Did I say Carcano's have the potential to be addictive. Well, they are. I relapsed and got myself another one (the one on the right in the family photo). Arguably, I'm most disappointed with the last one. I did expect a correct early one, not a refurb with a sanded stock and attached handguard. No cleaning rod either. Phosphorus32, was yours like that too?

I bought one of the antique offerings from Dan's Ammo. Pics are below except I don't have a picture of the two-piece cleaning rod that is in the buttstock. It has a Terni bolt on a Brescia rifle, but the rifle doesn't appear to have received any  updates/modifications. I'm quite happy with it.

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2021, 11:02:55 AM »
You guys are putting a serious hurt on my pledge to avoid getting into any new (old) calibers.
Back in the 80's I fell into a 6.5 Carcano for something like 30 bucks. Back then, ammo was made of hen's teeth, so it was essentially a wall hanger for a couple of years until I sourced a couple boxes of ammo and a few clips.

I wound up trading it off in the early 90's.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7