Author Topic: Fusil Gras Modèle 1874 M80  (Read 2190 times)

Offline BaerenGott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
Fusil Gras Modèle 1874 M80
« on: January 13, 2019, 09:40:32 AM »
This is an old relic I came across way back.  As is evident in the photographs it's been a bit...modified...over the years.  I'm curious if anyone on the forum has any spare parts?!  I'd love to get an unmodified and undamaged stock, and maybe someday a rear sight.

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007
currently a Peace Officer & FireFighter

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Fusil Gras Modèle 1874 M80
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
Is it the 11mmx59 version or is it in 8mm Level..  almost looks like it spent time in Turkey or a Middle Eastern area with the decorations.  Old French rifles are interesting, yet odd in some of there designs. I have a 3 shot Berthier M07/15 and several others, MAS 36s and M49/56s buried around here.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:02:04 PM »
She's an 11x59mm, single-shot bolt-action.  There is no magazine.  She most definitely spent time in the middle east, and who knows how many times it was surrendered...you know those French!  Just kidding, just kidding!!

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:31:43 PM »
People poke fun of the French... But they gave us the first smokeless powder cartridge and the Balle D bullet....... Also known today as the spitzer boat tail bullet.. there were a few other advancements they had as well that are used today.

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 10:45:31 AM »
I love the French history and culture, so I poke a bit of fun at them.  But I do want to find at least a stock for this.  From the bent bolt and the trigger guard with integrated sling swivel I believe I have a 'cavalry carbine' version.  The barrel is 49cm(like an artillery musketoon), but I think it might've been cut down at some point.  It was most likely last used 'officialy' in Yemen, which might explain the massive modifications to the stock.  In addition, there is a groove on the right side of the barrel at about 39cm from the reciever/barrel interface, and a very faint marking of a barrel band 12-14cm from the R/B interface(5.5-7.5cm from front of rear sight base).  The front sight appears to have been soldered/brazed on, and is slightly crooked.  These features and the lack of any bayonet mount lends some credence to the possibility of the barrel being cut down at some point.
I removed the stock today to investigate the non-functioning trigger, and found large numbers of proof-marks on the bottom of the barrel and reciever.  I'm adding those photos in the hope someone will be able to help me narrow down this weapon's history.

There appear to be several additional SNs.  The "M49293" with the "FV" above it is on the left side of the barrel and reciever.  On the bottom of both are the following visible SNs:

D216
E308
G86

There are several "crown above E" marks on both, and what my be a cruder "crown above L" or an arabic letter on the barrel.  There is also a "Y383" on the barrel.  Below the rear sight on the left side are a "M in circle" and a "J in circle" marks, and an "MA" mark under the "S.1873 C.1876" mark on the right side under the rear sight.
Ultimately there are a lot of other marks, comprising letters, numbers, and symbols.  I've tried to provide pics of all. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:31:05 AM by BaerenGott »

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »
Interesting piece.. thumb1  I would almost guess a calvary carbine....  But, there are quite a few variations of these, someone in Europe back in the day would take them and convert them to what ever specs a customer wanted, some were even built out of spare bits and pieces. It could be put back close to what it was, but it could be a case of the cost may exceed the actual value by several factors once you get into stock and all the assorted hardware.

I have gone down the rabbit hole of putting several back.. a 1917 Enfield, a Type 38 Arisaka w/mum and a FR 8 Mauser... after all was said and done, I could have just sold them as parts and bought a complete one of each and not wasted years of my life trying to find parts. Personally, I think that little dinky handguard on the Spanish FR 8 is secretly made of unobtainium... if and when you find one, it takes your first born, your left nut and a kidney to get it. rofl2

Offline BaerenGott

• Cadet
  • rescuer of old trucks
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 12:24:03 PM »
This one is a project for me.  I was looking at a video which showed some line-drawings, and the 1/2" 'groove' on the right side of the barrel near the front sight is just about where the back of a bayonet lug would've been, and closer inspection shows what may be remains of some brass solder forward of that, where the bayonet lug would've been against the barrel.  I wonder if I have a Musketoon with a Cavalry Carbine trigger guard?

USAF brat 1962-1983
USN 1983-2007