Author Topic: SVT40. Tok it up.  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
SVT40. Tok it up.
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:45:10 PM »
It's been awhile since I splashed around in the SVT pool, but this one spoke to me. The wood is blinding, has some nice tiger striping and leopard spotting throughout. What can I say, I'm a fool for sexy wood. '42 Tula in an AVT stock, mag is Finnish. Just a typical refurb, to the best of my knowledge.

I wonder what this gun looked like before refurbishment. The bore shows considerable wear, nothing major, but I found not a speck of powder or wear anywhere in the receiver or in the gas system, leading me to believe it's unfired since import. This was a war dog, no doubt.

The nut for the gas adjuster sits directly in between two settings. Does that turn the gun into a bolt action?

One last observation, and one I didn't notice until I was handling it later, is the handguard with two slivers about 2" long each. Don't overlook these details when you're wrapped up in a purchase! Nonetheless, it's a sweet looker of a rifle, verified and approved by the Inspector Yellowjacket in pic #4.

"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: SVT40. Tok it up.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:05 PM »
Is the adjuster free?? and yes, it will not cycle stuck between 2 settings. Each number on the adjuster has a specific sized port for gas. The ports get larger for more gas volume as the number raises.

I have seen '42s with the 4 port version brake, which would be correct as I understand, I wonder if it was changed at refurb to the 12 port version.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »
Nice!  I NEED one of these...but I've blanched at the roughly $1.5K price tag attached to them these days. Should have bought one when they were only about $1.0K

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
Does that horizontal stock number mean Deedeeargh?

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 04:20:48 AM »
I know very little about these, but how much recoil is removed by the semi auto system from the whallup you usually get from 54r bolt action?

With the gas shut off, and the known issues with cracking handguards with the gas set with too much pressure...did the PO cut it off entirely perhaps?  To avoid further damage?  I am also a little confused as to why there would be so much option on the gas system, from what I have read, it usually is set pretty low correct? Were they launching bowling balls when they were bored?

Love it though...vicariously through your wallet. :)
Thanks!  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
The gas system eats up some recoil...but not all of it, she still has a pretty decent wallop to it.  It's by no means a heavy rifle, it only weighs between 8 and 9 pounds... roughly about what an SKS does, looking at it you would think it weighs what a Garand does, but for the caliber, it's a light weight rifle. So in a round about way, it's a x54r SKS, just a little longer. One of the reasons you see alot of AVT stocks used in place of SVT stocks is the wrist. The AVT stock was a beefier design, it's substantially thicker in the wrist, the SVT stock would typically cracked at that point.

I think the reasoning for so much gas adjustment is variance in ammo, ammo manufacturers, temperatures and maybe even altitude. All of those play into gas pressures when fired. And even though the sights are calibrated for light ball, you could use heavy ball when you get it adjusted correctly. Usually you start low at 1.1 setting and work up till the cases drop 5-6 feet from you, and it's good to go. Even going from one ammo manufacture, modern or surplus to another would sometimes it needs recalibrating. Now with a really worn rifle, or rifle with a corroded up leaky gas system, you can sometimes go a setting higher to compensate for lost gas volume and get it to cycle, but your getting to the point of diminishing returns.. at this point your just gas eroding parts, slamming parts around, your better off to just fix it or quit shooting it.

Think of the gas system like difference the Ljungmann AG42 and the Hakim.... The Ljungmann with no gas system adjustment was pretty much constricted to Swedish 6.5mm military ammo with close tolerances and high quality control it was designed for.. The Hakim, you could use Egyptian, German, Czech, Romanian, all most any 8x57mm round (with the exception of Turkish) if you found it. Which is what Egypt did, they had stock piles of ammo from everywhere in Europe after WWII and took the Swedish design, altered it and built an adjustable gas system rifle that could utilize the massive hodge podge of ammo they had.

Offline Blicero

• Always plays Bf8
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Hermann Goering is my copilot
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
The recoil is mild, just a gentle push on the shoulder, but the sound of a shot fired reverberates deep inside the rib cage and skull. I think all of my toks needed to be on 1.2 or 1.3 to be reliable. But even on 1.3 I’d get the occasional ripped off case head. The regulator nut did go into position. Don’t you love it when you find an esoteric obscure gun tool necessary for a gun you haven’t handled in over two years?
"I reject your suggestion."
-Ramcke

"You would last about an hour in Charlotte before the police were called bc you were walking around outside with a bottle of scotch and a g43."
-Ty O

"I don't appreciate you showing Nazi images. My old lady's granddad died at Auschwitz."
"I'm sorry to hear that..."
"Yeah...he fell off a guard tower."
-You Know How I Get Thomas

Regional Spelling Champoin, 6/6/2012

"Why the hell does it look like you turned into some weird trendy libtard?"
-LooseCannon

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »
The recoil is mild, just a gentle push on the shoulder, but the sound of a shot fired reverberates deep inside the rib cage and skull. I think all of my toks needed to be on 1.2 or 1.3 to be reliable. But even on 1.3 I’d get the occasional ripped off case head. The regulator nut did go into position. Don’t you love it when you find an esoteric obscure gun tool necessary for a gun you haven’t handled in over two years?

I had one "expert" tell me if you start ripping the case heads off... your over gassed and the chamber needs a serious cleaning, especially the chamber flutes.. they aid in the extraction process, if filled with burnt powder residue, lacquer residue and and other crap, it restricts, or slows the case extraction. Most people unknowingly over compensate by cranking the gas up a notch, which rips the case head off because of the sticky chamber and over gassed extraction system fighting each other combination. The lacquered ammo, a sticky chamber and plugged flutes are all bad for case extraction with a brute force gas system.

My SVT has the chamber flutes and they were all but non existent until I cleaned the crap out of the chamber. Cleaning them out and the chamber did help quite a bit, I was still over gassed considering what everyone said the normal setting was, usually 1.5 worked, but I was loosing so much gas through a corroded gas system. Once I got all of that corrected.. the 1.1 or 1.3 setting was pretty much all that was needed for the same ammo that earlier, required 1.5 or more to cycle at times.

It is a finicky beast thats for sure... YMMV  :)

Offline Power Surge

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Commercial dude
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 06:21:37 PM »
I loved my SVT40...never should have gotten rid of it!

I did the standard gas system adjustment procedure found on most SVT sites, and once dialed in, I found my gun had very little recoil. And what recoil it had, was STRAIGHT back. It was a dream to shoot... and 3" groups open sights at 100 yards!

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 05:22:53 AM »
Interesting info for sure...perhaps one day.
I rarely shoot my 91/30 and T53...I am stocked for decades on ammo for them at this rate. It would be nice to have a semi to burn through some of it. :)

Them looking so bad ass is the cherry on top.