Author Topic: Underpowered, English, break-toppy goodness  (Read 7155 times)

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Cadet
Underpowered, English, break-toppy goodness
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:11:31 AM »
The Enfield revolver is one of those guns that fascinated me from a very early age (yeah, even as an 8 year old I was a wood and steel purist...) and yesterday I finally got one. This is a No2 MkI* that was built in 1941. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the timing is good, lock-up and hinges are all tight, and the bore looks great. The finish is that black paint that's all dinged up but the metal underneath is solid. It's got that old warhorse look that I love in guns. Now, to find a Webly Mk IV and VI....

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Underpowered, English, break-toppy goodness
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:01:42 PM »
Nice!  thumb1  8) I like those too but haven't picked one up yet.

It underwent Factory Thorough Repair in 1952. I think the DI "star" means it was fitted to a No 2 Mk1* configuration during FTR.  I can't read the letters flanking the broad arrow but they could tell you which country/organization last held it.

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »

It underwent Factory Thorough Repair in 1952. I think the DI "star" means it was fitted to a No 2 Mk1* configuration during FTR.  I can't read the letters flanking the broad arrow but they could tell you which country/organization last held it.

Thanks! I wondered about the "52". That's probably when it got those bakelite grips too. IIRC the '41s originally came with wood grips. I'll look again at the characters around that arrow. I think it's "70" on one side and something like a J or some fancy script on the other side. In any event I'll get some better shots of and post here.

Is there a main resource for info on English weapon stampings? I've been chasing around individual threads and the odd blog post for info.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »
Is there a main resource for info on English weapon stampings? I've been chasing around individual threads and the odd blog post for info.

I have Ian Skennerton's "The Lee Enfield". It's a big treatise with a lot of info, including long lists of markings, but I'm sure there are stamps unique to particular English firearms.

I would guess this book co-authored by Skennerton and Stamps is what you're looking for:
Amazon.com : Book: .380 Enfield No. 2 Revolver (Hardcover) : Collectibles : Everything Else

Mark Stamps is on the Enfield facebook group and he was very helpful for understanding an NSF/Enfield No1 MkIII* that I have, so I'm sure he's a good co-author.

There are also books on the Webley revolvers.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
Nice thumb1

Oh...Gm wants a Webley, kinda sorta...a buddy keeps offering me a .455 Mk V, but it's been somewhat molested(reblued) cry1 and got some goofy aftermarket grips.  These things always have intrigued the heck outta me.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
Good looking pistol, I'm envious scary! I admire top break revolvers of any manufacture.

Congratulations on the find.

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 08:03:01 PM »

Here's a better (well, less crappy anyway...) picture of the characters around the arrow/acceptance mark.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:57:55 PM »
10^J or 70^J doesn't look like anything in the lists I can find. Could be a unit acceptance marking?  I just don't know  ???

Doesn't matter, should be fun.  Have you shot it yet?  :)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
Have you shot it yet?  :)

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Offline scarymike23

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 02:18:39 PM »
Have you shot it yet?  :)

Inquiring minds wanna know!

Not yet! There's a shooting range not too far from my work. I might spend my lunch hour giving it an inaugural range session. Stand by for updates....