Author Topic: Carcano with an SKS barrel  (Read 749 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
Carcano with an SKS barrel
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:33:36 PM »
So, this is not really an SKS thing, but it IS a project. A guy on gunboards has a Carcano for sale. He has it listed as a single shot with a wood block in the well and an SKS barrel on the receiver. It appears to be a short lug threaded barrel. I found it intriguing to say the least. All the de-milled kits I have had and sold off the barrels. To think of what I could have done with them all, at least the threaded ones.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/fs-t-spanish-m43-7-62x39-carcano-ammunition.1223640/#post-11079599

What do you guys think about this and could it be made to handle 5rnds in the well?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
Re: Carcano with an SKS barrel
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 01:27:16 PM »
I threw some questions at the guy and this is his response;

"I did the work, shot a half dozen rounds through it to ensure it went bang. Head-spacing was done using a half dozen live cartridges from various makes because I'm too cheap to buy gauges, pretty much threaded the barrel in until right when I hit the point where the bolt began to have resistance with the live cartridges. It's shouldered internal to the barrel stub. I've also got a single stack AK magazine I was originally going to use and can include, but the receiver needs to be opened up to permit it to fit."
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 01:38:11 PM »
Maybe with a lot of trial and error... a lot of GM vocabulary and a bunch of machining..

world of difference in cartridge length... BUT.. x39 does fit in 6.5 Carcano stripper clips, x39 even is held by the grooves in the clip rather nice with no clip distortion... I read this and just had to try for gets and shiggles.. I found some surplus 6.5 buried yesterday..so I already knew where it was.. rofl2 the other thing is the 6.5 has a little larger extractor groove.. no biggie I guess..

Oh.. and a Carcano is 6 shot... not 5. thumb1

The hardest thing.. the follower for the Carcano mounts to the front of the mag well.. the stripper feeds down a groove at the back of the mag well and out the bottom.. it's hard to go either way..  The follower actually hits the neck of the x39 round..not the main part of the case.

and naw.. even Chinese copper wash dont fit a Carcano..  rofl
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 02:46:10 PM »
I did like the guy's idea of fitting a Romy single stack mag to it. That would be like having an Italian version of a CZ-527, but with 10rnds. Which is legal for hunting in MO BTW. :)

This sounds like something Xtriggerman would make light work of to get up and running smoothly. My issue with this setup is the guy is a new member on gunboards so nobody knows him from adam and, unless he can come up with a list of good references as to his workmanship, I wouldn't trust it. That and he's wanting $350 + shipping which I think is too much for an unknown one-off.