Author Topic: M91 (and other) Carcano's  (Read 6033 times)

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Re: M91 (and other) Carcano's
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2021, 02:18:34 PM »
Really nice, Phosphorus32! All correct and with a sling! Did you get the sling separately?

I got mine from Dan too (he just had another batch of antiques that didn't last very long) and perhaps that was the source of my disappointment as I saw all kinds cool rifles Gunboards folks got there and I got my expectations run wild. It's not a bad deal, just I wish I didn't get the sanded stock - I can live with the updated hand guard but the state of the stock hurt me a bit  :(

Larry, if you thinking about getting back into Carcano's, now it's not a bad time. It is a slippery slope, though ;)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2021, 03:59:12 PM »
I bought the sling separately. I got two brass and two steel buckle slings. A bit expensive at $45 and $40, respectively, but Carcano slings are hard to find. The brass ones are gone but there are a few steel ones left.

https://www.northridgeinc.com/product-p/carc-sl.htm
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:35:49 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the heads up on NorthRidge!

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »
I bought the sling separately. I got two brass and two steel buckle slings. A bit expensive at $45 and $40, respectively, but Carcano slings are hard to find. The brass ones are gone but there are a few steel ones left.

https://www.northridgeinc.com/product-p/carc-sl.htm

After seeing your sling pictured, I think I have one similar in my stash for my 91/30 long rifle. I bought 100 rounds from Graff and Rebel Sgt. gave me some chargers. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
I just checked my slings, and found one. It's the right style but a little thinner and too new. I put it on anyway but will likely change it for an older Garand type leather unit. I imagine they could be found with anything strung on them. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2021, 02:30:11 PM »

Larry, if you thinking about getting back into Carcano's, now it's not a bad time. It is a slippery slope, though ;)

That's the problem!
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2021, 06:38:05 PM »
Well, I just got a phone call from Northridge and that are out of slings. I guess their website availability was not up to date, so they took my order but could not fulfill it. Too bad. The lady on the phone said they had a ton of them and they just sold them like crazy. Not surprised given how many Carcanos were imported recently. If anyone sees other places they sell them (or want to sell their) I'd appreciate a heads up.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
Now you need the pole vaulting Carcano..

Totally.

Please see some pics of my newest acquisition for your viewing pleasure (and critique). I actually don't have the rifle yet, it's on its way - these are from the auction house. It is a interesting one (at least to me). A Torre Annunziata made in 1893 (first year of production) but I assume it was rearsenalized late based on the stock. The serial number looks to have been restamped, is that a common practice? And the bolt has a curved handle - a work of a 'corrector', or the Italians changed the bolt in 1947? It is a Tubata, some people don't like it but I kind of like this unique feature. Anyway considering that I got it at the price of an RTI beater I won't complain too much.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2021, 10:32:23 AM »
And I thought Mosin Nagants were long guns!  :o

Looks like a nice one!  thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
Interesting rifle!  thumb1 It was definitely refurbished, and probably more than once. An earliest possible production year from one of the lower production arsenals (because they were all far lower than Terni), means it would have had to be in an odd place, like stuck in Libya, for it to not have been refurbished. The Tubata sleeving and reboring marking, a later style bent bolt, the 1947 Terni (FAT) refurbishment mark on the stock, all indicate that it remained in mainstream Italian service and received updating and refurbishment  :o

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2021, 03:19:15 AM »
Now you need the pole vaulting Carcano..

Totally.

Please see some pics of my newest acquisition for your viewing pleasure (and critique). I actually don't have the rifle yet, it's on its way - these are from the auction house. It is a interesting one (at least to me). A Torre Annunziata made in 1893 (first year of production) but I assume it was rearsenalized late based on the stock. The serial number looks to have been restamped, is that a common practice? And the bolt has a curved handle - a work of a 'corrector', or the Italians changed the bolt in 1947? It is a Tubata, some people don't like it but I kind of like this unique feature. Anyway considering that I got it at the price of an RTI beater I won't complain too much.

I like that rifle, Cz315!  It's got some cool lines on it!  Unique is definitely the word for it!  I'd never considered buying a Carcano before but this one intrigues me!  Thanks for posting it up!

firstchoice

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2021, 10:42:24 PM »
Thanks firstchoice! This is probably one of my favorite CArcanos, and I own way too many now :-[ I posted more pics in the dedicated thread on the other forum https://www.gunboards.com/threads/torre-annunziata-1893-m91.1193420/

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2021, 11:59:53 PM »
Could always spice up, enable that... Italian side.. I mean..... since your dabbling in 6.5 Carcano... :) This is not a Carcano, it was already old when the M91 Carcano was developed, but it is rechambered from 10.35x47Rmm blackpowder round to the "hot and new" 6.5 Carcano round, uses the same clip, plus... it's made in Italy. The Italian Vetterli M70/87/15..  Everyone makes a big deal out of relined barreled P series Finnish Mosins... well here is the rifle that started that method.

And yes.... it's even longer, both barrel and in over all length than the M91 Carcano..  chuckles1

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2021, 07:54:26 PM »
I had my eyes on those - self-enabling all right  chuckles1 chuckles1 Then I saw an episode of C&Rsenal on those and my enthusiasm diminished considerably. Apparently you'd need to make REALLY light loads for those to be shot safely...

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2021, 03:03:32 AM »
I put 3 rds of PPU thru it..  after about 3 days of cleaning.  It spoke one last time, now it's in retired status.. like my Swiss Vetterli and other things..  as I remember, it shot pretty decent at 50yrds considering it's.... think1 a 150 years old...  :o

Online firstchoice

• Ozarks Ridge Runner
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • "The Rolling W"-A.E.F. 89th Division-WW1-1917-1918
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2021, 04:59:40 AM »
I put 3 rds of PPU thru it..  after about 3 days of cleaning.  It spoke one last time, now it's in retired status.. like my Swiss Vetterli and other things..  as I remember, it shot pretty decent at 50yrds considering it's.... think1 a 150 years old...  :o

You're a brave soul, GMclap1  thumb1  Or was that Jimmychuckles1

firstchoice

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2021, 09:31:24 PM »

firstchoice

Well...uhm.. think1 here, hold my beer  :o thumb1

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2021, 11:13:53 PM »

firstchoice

Well...uhm.. think1 here, hold my beer  :o thumb1

rofl chuckles1

Online Cz315

• Marksman
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2021, 08:26:22 PM »
Finally got myself a transverse lug bayonet for a TS. Not sure if the grip are repro or not, but I'm keeping it.

https://ibb.co/album/ZdGWs4