Author Topic: I have an 'IF' question about a Russian SKS  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Sniper
  • Inventor of the Intrafuse folding adapter.
I have an 'IF' question about a Russian SKS
« on: February 07, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »
So, IF you were wanting to buy a 1950 Tula and all you could find was a heavy refurb with all matching metal parts, but a non-matching stock. Would it have more value to you if it had a scrubbed laminated stock or a non-matching hardwood X-out stock?
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Cz315

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
Re: I have an 'IF' question about a Russian SKS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 12:11:40 PM »
Subjectively, a no number laminate would bother me less than a non-matching xxxx. I probably wouldn't buy either, unless it was one of those unicorn spikers  ;)

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 12:38:27 PM »
"Subjectively" and "Hypothetically" ..  if I were wanting to buy it.. and it was a decent price, not some over zealous jacked up price and cost me my first child and a kidney price. I'd buy it, refurb or not, matching or not. But, I'm one of the few people thats not a numbers driven person.. if my Cintas pants move when I see it.... I'm getting it.  :)

GG sells off alot of stuff.. then sellers remorse and the addiction kicks in.. just one more..  rofl rofl2
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 01:14:32 PM »
Non-matching Russian stock = stock replaced here in the US.  XX'd or blank (or polymer or Chinese for some people) doesn't matter at that point.

I'd personally rather have the XX'd hardwood.  Closer to original than a sanded laminate.

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 01:17:16 PM »
I'd keep the force matched stock over an any non-serialized or mismatched stock.

A force matched stock is still-- technically -- "matched" to the rifle by the Soviets. Whereas a blank stock suggests non-arsenal (post import) handiwork.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 02:22:55 PM »
"Subjectively" and "Hypothetically" ..  if I were wanting to buy it.. and it was a decent price, not some over zealous jacked up price and cost me my first child and a kidney price. I'd buy it, refurb or not, matching or not. But, I'm one of the few people thats not a numbers driven person.. if my Cintas pants move when I see it.... I'm getting it.  :)

GG sells off alot of stuff.. then sellers remorse and the addiction kicks in.. just one more..  rofl rofl2

It's actually just my ADHD kicking in. I tinker and build/modify/fix/and restore, but then get bored so I sell off so I can buy more stuff to tinker with. If I just keep and buy more the wifey would get mad and, as we all know, "Happy Wife, Happy Life" thumb1 :P rofl rofl
My Avatar is a pic of the real "Ghost" SKS in honor of xxxsks(joe). It is a pic of a fully decked out SKS in Capco hunter's kit. This was mine, the only other pic I had ever seen of one was Joe's.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 02:42:39 PM »
For me, given a choice between a laminate and birch stock, where neither is original, it would be purely aesthetics; which one looks better to my eyes.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 03:33:17 PM »
For me, given a choice between a laminate and birch stock, where neither is original, it would be purely aesthetics; which one looks better to my eyes.

Well, in this case it would be a dark red laminated matte finish vs. Blonde and burnt look of an original finish hardwood.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 03:49:07 PM »
Oh, also, the hardwood stock is off of a 1950 Tula as well.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »
I'd keep the force matched stock over an any non-serialized or mismatched stock.

A force matched stock is still-- technically -- "matched" to the rifle by the Soviets. Whereas a blank stock suggests non-arsenal (post import) handiwork.
I thought that at first too BB, then I reread and came to the conclusion that both stocks are foreign to the gun:

I think the hardwood stock has XX'd numbers in addition to having the final stamped S/N non-matching to the receiver (i.e. a replacement stock off another Russian SKS45, installed here in the states). 

Is this correct GG? 

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 04:08:06 PM »

I thought that at first too BB, then I reread and came to the conclusion that both stocks are foreign to the gun:

I think the hardwood stock has XX'd numbers in addition to having the final stamped S/N non-matching to the receiver (i.e. a replacement stock off another Russian SKS45, installed here in the states). 

Is this correct GG?

Yes, that is correct RM. Neither stock goes to the action. One is scrubbed and the other is off of another 1950 Tula.

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »

Is this correct GG?

Yes, that is correct RM. Neither stock goes to the action. One is scrubbed and the other is off of another 1950 Tula.

Okay, well that's a wrinkle. Now I'd go with the mismatched '50 stock for the '50 gun.  thumb1

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 05:34:20 PM »
Okay, well that's a wrinkle. Now I'd go with the mismatched '50 stock for the '50 gun.  thumb1

+1  thumb1

I double down on my previous answer of the '50 hardwood!  chuckles1

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 06:09:04 PM »
Thanks gentlemen, and GM rofl rofl,

My actual reason for asking is, given I sold my builds quicker than anticipated I'm thinking maybe I will keep my 'Naval Commissar' after all. I have both of the stocks I mentioned and they both look great on the action. I was wanting input as to which gave better value to help in my decision as to which stock to keep it in. I too was leaning towards the '50 hardwood given original finish and same year. This will make my rifle more era correct.

Again, appreciate the input.

Offline Greatguns

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 07:02:04 PM »
Just for grins and giggles, here's a pic of the SKS in each stock.

Online Cz315

• Marksman
  • The only way to avoid gun N is to avoid gun N-1
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 07:06:47 PM »
I like the looks of the laminate better. True commissars are RED! morpheus1

Offline lowell66dart

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Marksman
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 07:23:43 PM »
I vote for the dark stock also. This makes absolutely no sense but when I see a lighter stock I think commercial and I have and like my commercials. See, I told you it didn't make sense.
I have to grow old but I don't have to grow up...

Offline Boris Badinov

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 08:15:23 PM »

Is this correct GG?

I see.

I'd stick with the 1950 dated stock, then.