Author Topic: Weird SKS...its a DB (now weirder with pics, and its new owner)  (Read 17634 times)

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
Re: Weird SKS...its a DB (now weirder with pics, and its new owner)
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
/316\ factory.  I've always assumed pressed & pinned barrel because all the other /316\s are traditional pressed & pinned, but this one sports an originally threaded receiver (notice the telltale 2 as the barrel match #).  Now I'm not sure anymore.  Maybe it is still a threaded barrel, but they just took off the lug to get it to index correctly to the non native receiver and the pin is there to keep it indexed since now they don't have a lug to tighten up against.  Maybe it is pressed & pinned though and they inserted a sleeve after they machined out the threads on the receiver to take up the excess space.  The big difference easily seen between the two is that they turned most of the meat on the short lug down on this one.  It's interesting that they did this as the RSB is an early style.  If it was pressed & pinned, there should have been plenty of clearance to leave the lug unmachined and just take off the threads as long as the flats were indexed correctly.

That'd be my guess

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
Was at a gun show today and saw another sks with the same ak rear sight.  I know that it  was a pinned barrel…but then the guy said he wanted $900 for it I put it back on the table.

Has a determination been made on these odd ducks with the ak rear sight?

John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2015, 03:55:45 PM »
Just the Chinese using up whatever is available I guess.  Sorta like yhe few rifles found with a t63 bayo and no other modifications to accommodate fitment.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »
Just the Chinese using up whatever is available I guess.  Sorta like yhe few rifles found with a t63 bayo and no other modifications to accommodate fitment.

+1

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 05:10:49 PM »
$900?!?!

Either that guy is completely nuts or I need to buy a safe.

If the bore of an excellent condition SKS was lined with platinum instead of chrome, I still would balk at that price.

I found a leaf listed like that on eBay, and its only about an hour drive away....neat thing is, it only has three distances marked on the leaf, is supposedly for an SKS, and has the graduations like it normally would....on BOTH sides of the leaf.  I would get it, but since discovering that mine is actually serialed to the gun, and the RSB itself is so crooked that it could have been carved out of a bar of soap with a hot knife....I won't buy it....it won't make a bit of difference using the irons.  :( 

It is interesting to say the least....
SKS Rear Sight Assembly Vintage Military Rifle Parts | eBay

It is kind of neat finding out that more of these existed....was it a DB or DP?

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 06:43:59 PM »
To tell you the truth, I don't remember if it was DB or DP.  When the words "$900" hit my ears, my brain shut off!!! 

It had a really brown (almost paint) stock.  I told him it was a $300-$350 gun.  That is when he said that was for the sks and 900 rds of wolf ammo.  I said that makes the deal worth $575 max.  He said that "we can't talk turkey at that price".

I think he was in love with the gun.  I'm sure I will see him/it again.  I will be ready to hear $900 and look more closely.

John Galt
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »
If you see the dealer frequently...I am sure you will see it again....at that price he either knows it is a rare oddball or is off his rocker. Likely the latter if he isn't on the boards already....and I don't think that price is anywhere realistic for what likely is best not to fire.  The cast parts on mine have kind of kept me at bay, along with the weather to fire it.  It has been like summer here for the last few days, and I have been tempted.  I have to admit though...I still haven't cleaned the thing yet.

Mention interest in saving some history for what might be a somewhat rare gun and see if he will let you take some pics. I would love to see it.  I have only seen one DP, and my DB...both of very interesting construction.  It kind of kills me that Lone Eagle from the other board had a DP....he lives a mile from me....and sold it a couple years ago before I met him.  The goofy construction of these really intrigues me.  It would be really cool if a batch of these popped up in the northwest and I can locate more of them to investigate.  They are so darn funky.  :)