Author Topic: SKS M  (Read 20107 times)

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Rifleman
SKS M
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
Hey guys,
Just wanted to check in and ask a question or 2.  As the subject states, I purchased an SKS M today.  Not sure it will ever be anything other than a beater rifle as bubba had a good time with it. I will post some pictures when I get the chance.  But I will list off basically what he did.

1. Removed the front sight and the neutered bayo lug(or what would have been one) then moved the front sight to where that used to be. So from the front sight to the end of the barrel is about 3 inches. I cannot repair that.. but might put on muzzle brake to make it look cleaner
2. Carved out wood on both sides of the stock to expose the metal box mounted in the stock. Don't have any idea why.. but .. I think I can fix that and fill it back in.
3. notched the rear sight
4. Cut the front sight hood off the top.
5. did some trigger work on it as it is very smooth, but I still think I am going to send it to Kivaari. 

I know all that sounds bad.. but it looks like it is in pretty good shape overall. The LGS had $429.00 on the rifle. However told me he just needed $300.00. So I took it, it also came with 2 mags.  A 30 round and a 10 round.  I don't feel like I did too bad even with the stuff listed above. And when I get some time  I will post some pictures. But what are initial thoughts?
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: SKS M
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
My first thoughts are...repairable.

Sound like bubba should have just flipped the fsb around. Lol  Perhaps you can just replace it and ground the bayo lug to match what an M should be. The rear leaf is easily replaceable.  And Adam7 may have a stock... I'll ask him for you.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:50:06 PM »
I agree with LC, it's doesn't sound all that bad quite honestly.  You might get away with swapping out FSB like he said and simply grinding the bayo lug to fix both #1 and #4.  Unless he welded or got crazy with the Dremel, you might not even know that anything was done.

#3 is a piece of cake, and you have a handle on #5.  #2 is the probably the toughest one to 'restore'.  No idea why anyone would try and do that to a stock.  They are not impossible to find, but they aren't at every corner LGS either.  Oftentimes when you do find them, the seller wants a pretty penny for them too. 

Hope it's not too bad!  thumb1

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 04:11:16 PM »
Thanks guys,
I have already taken care of #3.  Not too mechanically inclined so #1 may be a challenge

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
I would use a dremel with a thin cutting disc and carefully slice it front/back and it will fall right off. The replacement can be tapped on easily with something softer then steel to absorb the impact.... Chunk of aluminum is what I have used.  Its much much easier to put on then to take off.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:25:19 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:43:26 PM »
I may give that a whirl... if all else fails and  I cannot get one on there.. a Prince50 sight would work wouldn't it? In a pinch.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
I may give that a whirl... if all else fails and  I cannot get one on there.. a Prince50 sight would work wouldn't it? In a pinch.

It would, but Im certain you will get a new one on.... Can simply invert the barreled receiver and smack it muzzle down on a block of wood. A rubber mallot or similar can be used to tap/rotate as needed for alignment.

I may have a fsb assembly minus the adjustable post and cross barrel it screws into, but I think it needs blued.  I could always degrease and dunk in the black oxide.  I can also cut/grind the lug prior.  thumb1

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
Thanks LC. What would you want for that? I could use the cross barrel and the post from this one I have on here. I am game to give it a shot, I need to find another retaining pin. I have one on the sight that is on there now. But I would need 2 for the entire FSB wouldn't I?

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
My treat....  Dont mention it.

They have two cross pins, but they will likely not both lineup with the original cross grooves in the barrel.  Just line up one and pin it.... You can then redrill the second to make it accept a pin, or leave it out. 

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 05:07:53 PM »
You sure? That is awesome!! And if one pin will hold it, I can just go with that. If I get brave I can use a small drill bit and make a notch and get a pin to fit.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
Roger that..

I'll be home in about 5-7 days and I'll dig it out.

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
Hardest part in my opinion will be to cut ONLY the fsb and not the barrel... In fact, i would first attempt to stop short with the cut at the front and rear and tap it off as 90% of the holding survace area would be eliminated at that point.  If you go through a tiny bit into the barrel, it will be covered by the new fsb.  Make sence?

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
Yup makes sense. I am actually going to try and remove the pin and knock if off. I didn't make it clear I don't think, but he took the front sight base off, cut off the bayo lug or cut it in half and then just put the front sight part back on.  I will see if I can get some pic's up. The solution you have will still work. Just shaking my head at the way he did it. And why he did it  :)

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »
Yeah, post up a pic....  If its not a full length of fsb then it may just knock right off thar because alot of the mating surface is non existent.    thumb1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
Anyone have a closup pic of how the bayo lug is ground on the M?

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »
M's should be exactly the same as my Clayco M8.  Spring loaded ball to hold the cleaning rod in place.  You likely can't replicate that, but you could probably get pretty close to the original squared off profile:

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »
Spring, ball, and a little plate thats detented in place huh.....  Is the hole already through the unit where the spring/ball goes?  Cant remember.

Offline agrace

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
Here is a pic of what he did.

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »
Here's what a lug on a SKS 63 looks like.  No ball detent and is much shorter.  Maybe that might be easier to turn the bayo lug into?

You could always go with a complete bayo lug delete too like on a MC5D, but that wouldn't be true to the M's original heritage:

Laugh, I can clearly see that that they are all M's or D's ONLY.  My gosh, what a fantasy world.  Besplode

Online running-man

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Spring, ball, and a little plate thats detented in place huh.....  Is the hole already through the unit where the spring/ball goes?  Cant remember.

No, I think they are newly cast/milled units.  I don't think there's enough meat on an original FSB to account for all that height.  Might be why the 63's are so much shorter.