Author Topic: Need help to Identify.  (Read 392 times)

Offline longhairlimy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Need help to Identify.
« on: November 06, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »
Need some help on this one. Kinda different from my others. Only markings are a small "a" in front 4 numbers. And a very light stamped factory /26\. Looks to have an early bolt and one-piece gas tube. Rifle is all matching. I just have never seen these markings or rifle without many. Thanks ahead of time. Picked it up rather cheap.

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
Re: Need help to Identify.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 08:16:46 PM »
Looks to be a Chinese letter gun manufactured in 1959 or 1960.  Many other sites call these carbines "Sino-Soviet" guns and claim they are the earliest built.  This is incorrect, they were produced *after* the Ghost guns (Type 56 SKSs without arsenal stamps having early features and and in a known S/N range built in 1956/57), the six digit /26\ (early 1957), 2 mil (year 2, mid/late 1957) /26\, and 3 mil (year 3, 1958) /26\. 

The photos are coming in as small / low resolution so I can't 100% make out some of the details, but most of what I can see points that way.  Looks like it may be a refurbishment, likely it has a replacement stock.  It should have a side swivel with the same A20XX S/N.  Is it all matching?  The third numeral on either the receiver or bolt carrier look a bit funny to me (either a 3 or a 4?)...perhaps a multiple or mis stamp?  Looks like it is in relatively good shape.  Congrats!  thumb1

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 02:55:51 AM »
Looks too nice to be a vet, very pretty my precious....PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Online Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 11:28:28 AM »
Definitely a beauty! Probably refurbished given its age and excellent condition but a beauty nonetheless. The receiver still has the dual tone from the original heat treatment, so that hasn’t been reblued.

Offline echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 11:58:37 AM »
OP your avatar looks like the trail to Mordor, PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline longhairlimy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
OP your avatar looks like the trail to Mordor, PAX

Taken from Fire Lookout MT next to MT Hood(Mountain) in Oregon. The foreground tree just was there for the taking. "Thank You All" for the help on this one. I researched and I was getting mixed comments on it being a ghost gun. As Running-Man cleared that up. Import marking on front left side of the barrel behind FSB.It had me stumped because of the small "a".