Author Topic: Where do you store your ammo?  (Read 5823 times)

Offline John Galt

• Jack of all trades…Master of none!
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Marksman
Where do you store your ammo?
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:54:18 AM »
I have run out of room in my gunsafe  :-[  I could move my ammo out and open up the other half of the safe, but where do I put the ammo?  I thought about a 3 drawer file cabinet but I don't know if that will hold the weight.  I have some ammo in ammo cans and I don't mind that.  I really don't want to get another safe for ammo. 

What do you guys do with your ammo?  Ammo cans in various places around the house?  One safe for just ammo?  Under the bed? 

Thanks
When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
Rudyard Kipling  1919

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: Where do you store your ammo?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:57:18 AM »
Ammo cans.   thumb1

In the closet... under the beds.  Its all good for ammo cans.  :)

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
I don't store ammo in my safes, no room, my basement is climate controlled and also has a dehumidifier.

Sealed crates get stored on 2 pallets in a corner of the basement. The odds of the surplus ammo sealed in a wood crate drawing moisture is very slim.
Loose or boxed ammo, is stored in the basement as well in sealed ammo cans. I also have a water proof/air tight type foot locker crate with socks full of silica gel to absorb any moisture that may be present.  I also keep smaller packs of silica gel in the ammo cans.

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Online Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
I also ammo can it.  Although I do have a bandoleer full of strippers at the ready for me to make the worst military fashion statement ever.  :P

It goes anywhere I claim as residence for more than half the day...depending on your environment, you might want to go with new ammo cans vs. surplus, the seals can be a tad sketchy on those sometimes.  I live in a rather dry environment, so conditions are optimal for me.  I also live in a very gun rich environment...so a safe has never been high on my priority list. 

Honestly, I have never even considered a safe for ammo at all.  But my daughter is also very gun saavy, so I don't concern myself with child safety issues....most folk are scared to visit anyway.

If you eat jerky, save the packs and toss them in the ammo cans for a recycled source of silica gel.  wink1

I like the filing cabinet idea, but most new ones are far too chinsey for the weight...you would need an old school real steel one.

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 02:28:25 PM »
Easiest cheapest way to get silica gel, some kitty litter is entirely silica gel.  An 8lb tub goes along way.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
Ammo cans (inspect seals before you buy) with Desi-Paks in each can. Stored under the bed, closets...where ever space is available. If one is so inclined store some in out-buildings like barn or workshop and in your automobile.

Offline MEBears

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »
I have cupboards in my cellar. Any loose stuff goes in ammo cans with silica. I also run a dehumidifier in the warmer months.

Offline MATAZOMBIE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
  • Only GOOD guys w/guns stop BAD guys w/guns!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
Ammo cans (inspect seals before you buy) with Desi-Paks in each can. Stored under the bed, closets...where ever space is available. If one is so inclined store some in out-buildings like barn or workshop and in your automobile.
What Dannyboy said:

ammocanman.com has good cans and good deals.  God Bless!!
I would rather live my life believing in God, and upon my death discover that He doesn't exist, than to not believe and upon my death discover that He does!!!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the link MATAZOMBIE, this business is only about 50 miles from me.

After a second look, I realized I was thinking of the wrong city...Clarksville is nearly twice that distance from me!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:30:15 PM by Dannyboy53 »

Offline MATAZOMBIE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 06:08:43 PM »
I've got an M2A1 50 Cal Ammo Can 5 Pack Grade 1 on order as I type this dance1.  God Bless!!
I would rather live my life believing in God, and upon my death discover that He doesn't exist, than to not believe and upon my death discover that He does!!!

Offline MATAZOMBIE

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Cadet
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:12:58 PM »
BTW- FREE shipping on orders dance1 dance1.  God Bless!!

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
Cheap plastic rubber sealed ammo cans in the basement, w/ dessicants because unlike the rich snob GM, I have a shady, non-humidity controlled basement in the humid Midwest.

:-*

Offline Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 12:57:14 AM »
Cheap plastic rubber sealed ammo cans in the basement, w/ dessicants because unlike the rich snob GM, I have a shady, non-humidity controlled basement in the humid Midwest.

Whoa, hold up there big guy, rich?  Naw man, if it cost 10 cents to sh*t, I could't afford to fart. I ain't a card carrying member of the gun of the week or month club, or buy those fancy exotic non-blue collar worker weapons. I'm so cheap I steal kitty litter from the cat for the silica gel. My ammo boxes are so old, General Custer would say "Damn, I carried that one" myself. They got more rust, dings and dents than my dumptruck.

Snob, really, cause I drive a yuppie mobile I guess. rofl. Ok, I can't dispute that one. thumb1

Offline Worm

• BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 12:49:22 PM »

Whoa, hold up there big guy, rich?  Naw man, if it cost 10 cents to sh*t, I could't afford to fart. I ain't a card carrying member of the gun of the week or month club, or buy those fancy exotic non-blue collar worker weapons. I'm so cheap I steal kitty litter from the cat for the silica gel. My ammo boxes are so old, General Custer would say "Damn, I carried that one" myself. They got more rust, dings and dents than my dumptruck.

Snob, really, cause I drive a yuppie mobile I guess. rofl. Ok, I can't dispute that one. thumb1

Lmao you know im just pullin your chain man, your Gold chain hahaha