Author Topic: Ulyanovsk 7.62x39 8M3 124gr. HP LCB  (Read 15367 times)

Offline reloader762

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
Re: Ulyanovsk 7.62x39 8M3 124gr. HP LCB
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »
Greasemonkey,I have several boxes of the same stuff in the last picture as well except mine are in brown boxes,probably just only a packaging difference.  I shot a few boxes of it several years ago and it shot well just dirty as most Russian ammo is. 

The 8M3 Effect bullet is different than the standard HP as there are multiple serrations on the  inside of the bullet jacket to aid in expansion where all the standard HP's do not have as many or any at all.  Expansion with either the standard HP's or SP Russian bullets are basically hit or miss,it depends a lot on what the bullet strikes and well as distance and velocity to target at time of impact as to how the bullet reacts.  At some point when both velocity and energy drop off and in some cases even at close range the bullets act just like FMJ's. 

As to the 8M3 Effect loads there probably the best chance for good expansion and a quick kill on game,otherwise I would just handload or use one of the commercial offerings with a quality cup and core bullet or a good flat nose cast lead bullet if expansion or an effective wound channel  was a concern.