Author Topic: A Different Remington 40x  (Read 6083 times)

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
A Different Remington 40x
« on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »
After seeing 06sandstone's 40x thread, I thought I'd put my 40x out there for y'all to see.  Mines a .22 but it's not rimfire. 

This rifle is a single shot, in 22 Remington BR, a cartridge that never really was. 

It was necked down from the 6mm BR which actually was a commercial round for awhile.  The Remington BR cartridges, while reputed to have great accuracy, were pretty much left in the dust when the 22 and 6mm PPC came out and became more popular. 
Here's what the BR looks like.

This rifle is I believe mid to late seventies vintage, and is what's called the "light varminter" category of bench rest rifle.  The stubby 20" barrel kept the weight down to the limit for that class.

This rifle came with the Leupold 24x fixed power scope that ya see here.  There was also a 36x of this same type at the time, and it would probably be used more for the longer range rifles.  This was considered pretty much a 100-300 yard package.

This rifle is kind of a challenge to reload for.  I've put together ammo that shoots sub MOA, but that's not near good enough for what it's sposed to do.  I think I've found the secret to make it sing, but still have to get out to prove it. 
Ballistics are comparable to the 22-250, with considerably less powder to do it.  This barrel is twisted real slow, (1 in 14") so it will probably be best with lighter bullets such as 55 grains and less. 

The wood is pretty plain, straight, and I think nice, but I'm not wild about the funky recoil pad.  Previous owner must have needed more length.

Thanks for looking.  I hope to show ya some little bug-hole groups one of these days.  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
Re: A Different Remington 40x
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:18:17 AM »
May 1978..... fantastic rifle JD.  You got a very special Remington there.  Slumbering Bear needs to see this!

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »
Beautifully wicked looking rifle!

Offline SlumberingBear

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Newber
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
I do notice JDs rifle and I lke it a lot.  Just in passing I have heard people talk about this caliber.  Should be a lot of fun to play around with.

How many grains of powder does it take.

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »

How many grains of powder does it take.

Well SB,  depending on bullet weight and powder type it uses between 25 and 32 grains of powder.  With the little 40 or 45 gr. bullets, it's scooting along at near 4000 fps.  Most of the same powders a guy would use for .223 can be used with it. 

I was having troubles sizing cases that would fit nicely in the chamber, and finally took a chamber casting and found that it's cut on the small side of the specs.  This thing is teaching me a few tricks for reloading that I've never used in anything else that I've loaded for.  It's definitely not for the guy that just wants to slap a few hundred shells together and go squirrel shooting.  jd

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.  Groucho Marx

Online Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Are we going to need a 300 yard Jackalope challenge?   eyeball1 eyeball1

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
YEAH...with videos!! thumb1

Offline jd?

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
Heck, we had jackalope for dinner last night.n jd