Author Topic: Turkish Mauser, 1943 Kirikkale  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Turkish Mauser, 1943 Kirikkale
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:19:00 AM »
Lately, I've had a desire to add a Turkish made Mauser to my collection. I guess I got the bug while looking at a Turk at the LGS. Unfortunately, the stock had been sanded and refinished, the bore was only fair to good, and they wanted $200. Turks really don't have a devoted following in the US, so $200 should get a far better example than that. I really wanted one of the Kirikkale Mausers, which are fully Turkish made Mausers in a VZ98/22 configuration (basically a Gew 98 long rifle). Kirikkale was a new arsenal established by the Turks in 1938 with machinery and knowledge of VZ98/22 manufacture provided by Československá zbrojovka (CZ). Kirikkale became MKE in 1950.

Well, I dropped in on the local gun show in the closing hours on the first Sunday in May. I walked over to say hello to my favorite seller, and he said, "I was hoping you'd show up". He quickly thrust this Kirikkale into my hands. I saw the tiger-striped circassian walnut stock and he had me! I saw the price tag and I was wondering how it had lasted until Sunday, but before I could speak he said he'd give it to me for $25 less and toss in 45 rounds of 1950s Yugoslavian surplus he picked up with the rifle (not my favorite when shooting for groups, but hey, it goes bang). I did feel a bit like the farmer "looking the gift horse in the mouth" as I lit up my bore light and peered down into a nice shiny bore with sharp rifling, but it's habit. Well, that was it, hands were shaken and it was off to the transfer table. Yes, it's a mixmaster but that's normal, and I'm not going to complain.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

No Century, it's not German  :))

Yeah baby!  thumb1

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
Re: Turkish Mauser, 1943 Kirikkale
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:42:50 AM »
STRIPES!!!!!!!!!! drool2 drool2 drool2 drool2   rockon rockon  You know I'm gonna enjoy'em ;)

I got one, a '42 from some strange guy here, no STRIPES drool2 drool2 drool2 were included cry2, maybe he lost'em or kept'em rofl rofl But, it's got a purdy bore. I also got a 1893 Turk :) I'm a little leary of the thing.
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:26:01 AM »
BEAUTIFUL Jon, congratulations on a really nice grab!

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »
STRIPES!!!!!!!!!! drool2 drool2 drool2 drool2   rockon rockon  You know I'm gonna enjoy'em ;)

I got one, a '42 from some strange guy here, no STRIPES drool2 drool2 drool2 were included cry2, maybe he lost'em or kept'em rofl rofl But, it's got a purdy bore. I also got a 1893 Turk :) I'm a little leary of the thing.

rofl  Thanks GM! I saw the tiger stripes and I'm surprised I didn't start drooling.  If you look at fancy stock blanks in circassian walnut ($700 ish) and think that these Turkish Mausers can still be found for under $200 commonly or just north of $100 in my case, occasionally, it's amazing what a value these are.

Is your M1893 an M938 conversion in 7.92x57...or the original 7.65x53?  :o  I guess a lot of people down load 7.92 if they have the urge to fire one of those older two-lug Mausers.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:04:16 AM »
BEAUTIFUL Jon, congratulations on a really nice grab!

Thanks Danny!  It was love at first sight  :))

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:22:49 AM »
I've never even seen a turk with stripes..   They must be airbrushed.    :))

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:27:12 AM »
I've never even seen a turk with stripes..   They must be airbrushed.    :))

Airbrushed?!  bat1 Heck, I burned them in by flicking my bic rofl

Offline Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »

rofl  Thanks GM! I saw the tiger stripes and I'm surprised I didn't start drooling.  If you look at fancy stock blanks in circassian walnut ($700 ish) and think that these Turkish Mausers can still be found for under $200 commonly or just north of $100 in my case, occasionally, it's amazing what a value these are.

Is your M1893 an M938 conversion in 7.92x57...or the original 7.65x53?  :o  I guess a lot of people down load 7.92 if they have the urge to fire one of those older two-lug Mausers.

I stuck them both in a new post :) like you said, the Turks are he red headed step child of the Mauser world. Which is sad, they are a decent rifle with a mysterious history. And the 1893 is a 8mm convert thumb1  I'd love to find a 1893 Turk in 7.65mm, more justification for the 7.65 Argentine Mauser I have.  chuckles1
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »
Yeah, the Turks in the original 7.65x53 are scarce.  Would really like one of those.  Sheesh, are there any firearms this P32 guy doesn't want.

It's amusing that my 1917 MO Gew98 that was untouched by the Turks, with respect to modifications, was labeled by Navy Arms as "Turkey", whereas my Kirikkale, which was never touched by the Germans, was labeled by Century as "Germany"  chuckles1