Author Topic: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet  (Read 78582 times)

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Marksman
Re: 1950 SKS with spike bayonet
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
Still waiting for more pictures of his 49. He doesn't care if pictures are posted on this site, so if you have the know how, bring them over. I have also been thinking about the stock ferrule being original and a spike added later also. As I mentioned before, if at refurb they replaced the stock ferrule wouldn't they also replace gas port. Also the way the stock has been butchered to fit a spike doesn't look right.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:51:46 AM by jstin2 »

Offline running-man

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2018, 12:07:02 PM »
They would have to remove the gas block to swap a stock ferrule if it needed replacing, but if the block is in good shape, why not put it right back on?  Guaranteed to have the right press fit, guaranteed that the gas port in the barrel and gas block will line up, and guaranteed that the retaining pin will line up.  Why fight with fitting a replacement gas block if it doesn't need replacing?  dntknw1

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »
Why was Douglas Macarthur after proving to be the most incompetent General of ww2 which lead to the Bataan death march allowed to preside over the North Korean blunder that resulted in the frozen chosin? 

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:51:25 PM by Loose}{Cannon »

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2018, 02:57:43 PM »
peteroliver 1234, just posted another 49 for sale. Thing is that this one has a blade bayonet, but the stock ferrule is bottom pinned???

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2019, 10:26:33 PM »
Just to note, I have not found any further evidence of another. I reread this post a couple days ago and another thought about this 50. This is just conjecture and cannot be proven. In late 1949, the  fate of the spike was made and the blade was decided to be in favor. Now there must have been several production lines involved since rifles were hand stamped and hand engraved. Now what IF,  the production lines were slowly changed over to blades and the last line involved still had the original parts for a 49 and they carried over to 1950 and had to stamp the receiver cover 1950. I would also like to point out that I saw that the E on the receiver was questionable on page 1 of the post.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:46:42 AM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »
I have another question to the fact that the early 50 with 49 features and a blade bayonet had serial numbers, in question with my 50 with spike. In dispute on mine was the E and the Б. Now the EM has been shown up on 49s and the EБ to the early 50. Now where did the  БM come into the picture (as in my 50 receiver). As Loose - Cannon has shown the receiver is not a E but a Б on my 50 (defective stamp) and the rest stamped EM. Only by close examination can this be seen. I also know that until I or someone else finds another one, this will be in dispute and questionable. Click on number on bottom of picture to enlarge.
https://ibb.co/album/bNdUBF
https://ibb.co/album/cQ985a
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:43:38 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #306 on: May 01, 2020, 10:16:38 PM »
Today the liberal party in Canada enacted a gun ban on multiple assault rifles in Canada. Although the SKS was not included in ban, it might be in the future. If it was included, I would have my rifle deactivated so I would not have to hand it in to be destroyed( 2 year grace period). And in the same token, if there was another example like mine it would be destroyed by someone who did not know what he had.

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #307 on: May 03, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »

How can one individual just issue a single decree and poof you firearms are gone. Don't you have any recourse here.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #308 on: May 03, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »
I do not believe that this forum should get into politics. You can google for more information. I only brought this up to let people know that the SKS is still available in Canada and not on the ban list at this time. Plus I do not want to destroy my 50 with spike if it was ever to be banned.

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #309 on: May 03, 2020, 03:10:10 PM »
 Your 5/1 post was political in nature.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #310 on: May 03, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »
Your 5/1 post was political in nature.

Jstin2’s comment was arguably just a point of factual information but another person might see it as political.

Polite suggestion as an administrator: either, neither or both of you are welcome to discuss the political aspects of this issue on a current thread in the “Politics” sub-forum. Thanks for keeping it civil!  :)

https://sks-files.com/index.php?topic=4917.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:07:50 PM by Phosphorus32 »

Offline sagesbrush

• Cadet
« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2020, 07:19:13 PM »

Sounds good.

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
« Reply #312 on: May 03, 2020, 09:58:27 PM »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #313 on: May 16, 2020, 03:01:47 PM »
A very interesting article posted by jmauser concerning - SKD Trials Article:Yuschenko/M9130.info

There has been in question of the transition from spike to blade in this post. In the last paragraph of article, it answers that question. Now production of transition would be dependent on spikes in stock.

Below is a copy of last paragraph of article. The whole article is well worth reading.

However, at that moment there was no adopted knife blade bayonet for the SKS. Production started according to existing drawings which contained a spike bayonet. Four days after the adoption of the SKS, the Simonov design bureau (OKB-19) and factory No. 536 design bureau submitted their knife blade bayonet designs for adoption, but neither of them were accepted. A new bayonet design was created according to the advice of the group of Marshal of the Soviet Union veterans, it was accepted on November 2nd, 1949. Leftover spike blade bayonets were supposed to be used in production within the next 3 months, afterwards, production was supposed to be switched to the knife-blade bayonet.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2020, 11:21:46 AM »
Now if we could identify when the receiver covers went from hand struck to stamped, we might be able to break down 1950 a bit further.  You may be the only person so far to be able to pretty much confirm your SKS was made in January 1950. It sure would be nice if your serial could be used to decrypt the system they used....if there indeed was one.

It's a bit more iron clad than my A series letter gun being made in January 1959.  ;)

Unfortunately, there likely won't be any information that comes to light regarding the hoopla surrounding take down lever progression that year, but this article is pretty fascinating huh?

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #315 on: May 17, 2020, 12:10:28 PM »
Justin Hell - If you go to page 4, I have a forum - 1950 Transitions. This may answer some of your questions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:54:21 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »
I have another question about the rust pitting on receiver? There is pitting on the front of receiver which would have been covered by the stock. The other area of pitting is back end of trigger and back end of receiver and receiver cover. But the rest of receiver is like new. If you have trigger attached to rifle, the pitting lines up with receiver pitting. The last picture is with a cover from my early 50 with blade, to show that some of the grinding was done to inside of receiver. Another question is where was it done, Russia, importer or seller?

https://ibb.co/album/X2Nrwj
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:18:10 PM by jstin2 »

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2020, 12:08:46 PM »
  Three years ago today I was browsing Westrifle website. On the side column there was advertised 10- 1949 SKS for $400.00. When I purchased I did not realized the debate that would follow. I contacted a fellow collector in Nova Scotia a couple months after purchase asking if he had one and he replied that he had not seen one. He contacted Westrifle and said that if they got another that he would purchase. Their reply was that there was no such thing as a 50 with spike.
https://ibb.co/album/y6dgkK

Thanks to Boris Bradinov for asking me to post on this site and all the experts who gave their knowledge on this subject, pros and cons. Although I have been unable to find another like mine the evidence has been growing. I realize that one carbine does not make it true and until other 50 with spike are found and documented with pictures mine is still under review.
 What has been found is that mine has all the features of a 49.
 The serial number on receiver was stuck with a defective stamp and is NOT a E but a Б.  The rest of serial numbers are EM 717. The 717 looks like it was struck by the same person.
 Need more information on SKS's with a serial number starting with БM if it can be found, as EM is associated with 1949 SKS
 The laminate stock was made for a spike and not shaved down from a bade stock.
 The most recent post by jmauer-  "SKS Trials Article :Yushenko/m9130.info" indicates that spikes were to be used until supply was exhausted and could be used until Feb. 02 1950.
I am constantly checking websites to find another as there should be at least 716  with БM
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:23:39 PM by jstin2 »

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2020, 01:04:37 PM »
Wow, time flies....I remember drooling over that listing of those.

It sure would be nice to nail down the serial system, if the E is the first letter, and they progress through the alphabet, my EO 50 is two letters later than yours....with a blade. and Ey is also a 50 with a hand engraved cover.  I am curious when the stamped covers began.

I have been waiting for a photo I purchased in March, from Russia showing a parade of cadets from Leningrad 1958 marching exclusively with spikers. It leads me to think they may have used the spikers in training situations to keep some semblance of uniformity. If that's the case....you might have one that survived that life, when many may not have.  It's also possible they were just used for parade purposes too...perhaps a cache of those were what made it your direction half a century later.

I really hope that photo shows up....the stupid virus has slowed international shipping to the 15th century it seems.

Offline jstin2

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #319 on: July 02, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »
Justin Hell- Receiver serial number is БM not EM as was proven by Loose Cannon. The rest is stamped EM. Also I went through entire Westrifle listing and the first 9 were engraved 1949.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:57:27 PM by jstin2 »