Author Topic: Spring loaded FP  (Read 1936 times)

Online echo1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Death from above
Spring loaded FP
« on: April 07, 2020, 08:02:47 PM »
Hi Fellas,

I've built a Shernic bull pup. It's cobbled together of mismatched guts, but surprisingly it's 922r compliant, or will be.

I have a NEW Murray spring loaded FP to add to the count, and was wondering what others may think of them. I've heard good and bad. It's going in regardless.

Of my SKSs I've not had any FP related slam fires, sears yes. PAX
  You need a crew  

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),
But they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Offline yellowjacket

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
Re: Spring loaded FP
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:08:06 PM »
PAX, I have two in rifles and have not experienced any issues. 

Offline Larry D.

• Bitter, Clinging Deplorable
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • Do the next right thing.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »
No first hand experience, but I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.
Mood 24:7

Offline astronut

• This user has decided to end his association with SKSFiles
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Marksman
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »
I bought a Murray's firing pin with spring from a member on another forum years ago because I got it at a very good price.  Have never installed in any of my rifles because I have not had any issues with them in that area. 

Offline Shoot The Refurbs

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Marksman
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 05:51:58 PM »
I had one once on my first sks, I had heard about slam fires and was afraid i'd get one.
I've not put it on another one since and never had a slam fire.
Murray's customer service was top notch and I have 0 things bad to say about them, and their product works.
If it concerns you, the price is worth the peace of mind IMO.
If it doesn't concern you, then rock and roll.
just my .02
-STR

Offline Bob_The_Student

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 06:15:24 PM »
If you shake and hear the "tink" "tink" I think think they're unnecessary, unless like STR says for your piece of mind.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
If I'm able to snag the neutered Chicom next month, I'll likely try to pick up a spring firing pin kit for it as I plan to turn it into a tactical Ted special.
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline echo83

• Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 09:22:06 AM »
I haven't used a spring-loaded firing pin, myself.

I bought a replacement pin because I was scared of slamfires, and have had no issues.

In all of my research, it seems the majority of the people who have bought a spring-loaded pin did so as a preventative measure, and not because they had an issue with slamfires.

The majority of those folks love them, every once in a while debris gets trapped in the spring, defeating the purpose, but everyone who has one tends to love them.

I don't know if this helps, but TL:DR is that they work. I just haven't seen the need yet, myself.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 12:43:17 PM »
I want to know why the Russians stopped using them....

The only one I have had is on my 50, its pretty slick....I even have spares, but one has to ponder why such an inexpensive spring would have been eliminated.   I have heard that if the spring breaks, pieces could clog the channel and start the fireworks show.  I wonder if that was the reasoning behind it, or if they felt they might be too easy to lose in the field.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if they would work free floating sans spring with the original bolt design?

At the very least, its one of the path's to a clear 922r conscience putting a Murray's on.  I would trust them more than surplus ones for a direct replacement. I have a handful of slightly warped Chinese pins to warrant that notion.  :o

Although, I did call the ATF here once, and once the guy woke from his nap and answered....he had absolutely no clue what the heck I was talking about when asking about 922r.

Offline Larry D.

• Sharp-Shooter
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 03:20:21 PM »
I want to know why the Russians stopped using them....

Likely it was simply a cost cutting measure.
The Commies also took the capture screws from K98's and melted them down. They're some cheap bastids....
Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ
-------------------

Thou shalt not test me.

Offline Bubbazinetti

• MAGA Patriot
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Marksman
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 07:52:39 PM »
It may have to do with reliability actually,and it may very well have been adapted from the Kalashikov as it has always had a floating pin AFAIK.Kalashnikov was all about simplicity and reliability under any conditions,especially sub arctic conditions.The Russians used this principle extensively with the Makarov service pistol.It uses almost all leaf springs just for that purpose,to make it extremely reliable in cold weather.The tradeoff is it makes for a rougher action as compared to the Walther PPK,which uses finer calibrated coil springs.That's my theory.I could be full of malarky too.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Offline bob78

• Newber
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 12:48:50 AM »
Spring loaded FPs are less reliable, so militaries usually do not use them. AR platform also has free floating FP.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:13:18 PM by bob78 »

Offline Bacarnal

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Sharp-Shooter
  • SQUIRREL!!! Camp Lejuene Water Survivor.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
Spring loaded FPs are less reliable, so militaries usually don’t not use them. AR platform also has free floating FP.

As well as the M1 Garand, the M1 Carbine and the M14/M1A.  Oddly enough, the FN FAL/L1A1 use a spring.