Author Topic: Ammo going up, another "panic buy" going on?  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Dannyboy53

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sniper
Ammo going up, another "panic buy" going on?
« on: March 15, 2015, 01:23:15 PM »
This is usually the first site I check when buying ammo, haven't been on it in a while but the last case of 7.62X39 I bought was .21 cents per rd, now it's .23 cpr. That isn't what is troubling me though, it's the one case limit. I've never seen that on this site before now, customers have never been limited to my knowledge.

GunBot 762x39 rifle ammo

Offline Phosphorus32

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sniper
  • Send lawyers guns and money...uh, skip the lawyers
Re: Ammo going up, another "panic buy" going on?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:11:19 PM »
I like the gunbot site as well.  I'm guessing you're referring to the one case limit on SG Ammo's sales of Wolf (Barnaul) ammo.  Hopefully it's just fallout from the recent 5.56x45mm buying spree triggered by the ATF dance around banning M855.  Most ammunition suppliers have been experiencing high demand on 5.56x45 generally and have been posting longer waiting times, limits, etc.   I don't think Barnaul is connected to the Kalashnikov Concern, so as far as I know is not affected by the current sanctions, but I could be wrong...it's happened before  rofl

Online Greasemonkey

• Professional foul mouth. Banned for life!! Certified Enabler
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sniper
  • The only way to avoid SKS #2, is avoid SKS #1!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
Lots of things play in, recent weather has slowed shipping lanes, even events on the other side of the planet can effect shipping, then add in increased buying out of fear. Plus since our new admin, the world greatest gun sales group ever, more people own weapons now, more weapons, more demand.

The limit I'm guessing, :o is a proactive measure to insure at least everyone gets a crack at a case. I know a bunch of douche bags who buy 10-15 cases at a time, squirrel away whatever and sell the remaining at a massive profit. This is what causes a majority of it, people buying up the market and reselling to those who don't know for a massive profit. If you buy out the market, then "you" can adjust the price, there is no retail competition. While it is capitalism at it's best, it's still shady as hell.

But, at the same time, I've known a few who were left holding the ball, rofl2 they were left with high dollar cases of ammo and the market had fallen out due to a massive import shipment. Hard to dump a $325 case of ammo, when the market suddenly dictates it's worth $225. Besplode
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse......

Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

I said I was an addict........I didn't say I had a problem

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
The ones I mention Phosphorus, as you pointed out, are only a small percentage of the entire listing. I just thought it would bear watching, I trust nothing from or about the regime in Washington nor put anything past them. As I understand it the regime has backed away from the ban on the M855 but I don't expect this to be the end of it. As we all know these anti-gun peckerwoods are relentless!

Greasemonkey you hit the nail on the head. Instead of the Nobel Peace Prize, Comrade Obama should have been presented with a Firearms/ammunition Salesman of the Decade award. I agree with your explanation of shortages and scares but I also believe the current regime will take advantage of this trend.

I know a man living in this area that buys up ammo, primarily .22 rimfire, almost as soon as it's unloaded from the trucks. He has made no attempt to stock food or other supplies, I suppose when he starves to death the rest of us locals will divide his stash!

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »
I dunno Danny....  he may have critter stew for a very very long time.  He can also trade 22lr for other goods.   22lr will be a very important survival round.

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
Danny

I know it's a stretch, but with the world and corruption in the powers that be, he knows banning them will not bode so well. So, if you can't ban them, join them. Instead of banning, go and try to make millions, if not billions of dollars. Mention the word ban to the gun community as a whole, what happens, instant buying spree. So all the powers that be load up on investments and stock in firearms companies while things are calm, say the magic word, instant profits and sell, and reap the benefits.  It's controlling/manipulating the market while avoiding the S.E.C., while making money off investments, it also prevents surplus ammo from building up in warehouses and prices from returning to pre "O" days. And at the same time, keeps people working and provide economic money flow.

Has one ever thought about the effect on the economy just firearms provides: Source Firearms and Ammunition Industry Economic Impact Report 2013 | NSSF

Not only does the manufacture and sale of firearms and hunting supplies create good jobs in the United States but the industry also contributes to the economy as a whole. In fact, in 2013 the firearms and ammunition industry was responsible for as much as $37.7 billion in total economic activity in the country.
The firearms and ammunition industry generates sizable tax revenues. In the United States the industry and its employees pay over $5.2 billion in taxes including property, income, and sales-based levies.

So 5.2 billion in taxes, ban firearms, who pays that, consumers end up footing it. Even the anti's will foot it, and I'm sure they know this. They may feel like they shouldn't, but they know it will be passed to them as well.  Now, add in back ground checks, local fees, licensing for FFL's, CCW, and court fees, and on and on..

Companies in the United States that manufacture, distribute and sell firearms, ammunition and hunting equipment employ as many as 111,895 people in the country and generate an additional 133,850 jobs in supplier and ancillary industries. These include jobs in companies supplying goods and services to manufacturers, distributors and retailers, as well as those that depend on sales to workers in the firearms and ammunition industry.

The gov't doesn't want to answer for possibly over a 1/4 million unemployed people, over a 1/4 million people who were paying taxes before the ban. Cause no one is hiring.  Now figure in how UPS, FedEx and USPS will be affected, the main shippers of firearms, ammo and accessory, in a years time, how many packages are shipped by those carriers. Dock workers unloading stuff, shipping container ships, etc, etc.....

Too ban, is a knife to the throat for money flow. But if done right, one stands to make a healthy profit manipulating the market. It's all about the dollar and how to get more of them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:40:43 PM by Greasemonkey »

Offline xtriggerman

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Cadet
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Nice write up GM. Your point is well taken & understood. But I have to say something is just screwy with this 22LR issue. There are so many roomers flying around and Iv "heard" a few from dealers as we all have that just don't shape up. Accordingly, wholsalers with holding large inventories. Walmart with holding 22LR for black Friday add gimmick. And frankly I think a crap load is going over seas and I will continue to think that until Win, Fed, CCI can post their shipping manifest's to just where the cases final destinations were. I understand the hording thing is going on but so many gun shops have seen zero 22 to the point they are not odering 22lr cal guns in any numbers. Maybe 22 guns will see increased discounts? The new retail of $7.50 a box of Hi Vels will just never sit well with me. But with the crooks in Washington printing money & killing it as the world reserve currency we would be foolish to think ammo or any other valued necessity will stay even with the "political" rate of inflation. Personaly I bought 22 over the years so if I don't have at least 10K sitting around I don't have a one. 

Offline Loose}{Cannon

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sniper
  • Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
DHS

1776 will commence again if you try to take our firearms... It doesn't matter how many Lenins you get out on the street begging for them to be taken.

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
After nearly a year our local Walmart states they can hardly get any .22 rimfire, this is the case with a nearby gun shop. Yet I hear of others, on this site and elsewhere, that have no problems getting as much rimfire as they want!

It's crazy.

Online Greasemonkey

• Administrator
  • Sniper
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
DHS

They have or had issues with funding, too many eyes looking at them,  National Review

Besides if the powers that be wanted it, DHS would be out on it's ear, the U.N. would be running the show.

Follow the money....Find the answer...

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 03:21:13 PM »
Just came from Wal-Mart, they have tins (Tula) 640 count of x39 for $120 and tins ( Tula ) 500 count of 223 for $169.  Not bad if you want tins to hord.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Just came from Wal-Mart, they have tins (Tula) 640 count of x39 for $120 and tins ( Tula ) 500 count of 223 for $169.  Not bad if you want tins to hord.
Bernie,
I have heard others mention tins of x39 and 223 at Wal-mart, but I have yet to see any Tin's of ammo at the Lincoln Wal-mart's, and I even asked the very knowledgeable sales clerks in the sporting goods section.  chuckles1

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
The tins are not available at our store in Heber Springs either. Wish they were, that's a good price!

Offline Dannyboy53

• Sniper
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 04:38:12 PM »
Danny

I know it's a stretch, but with the world and corruption in the powers that be, he knows banning them will not bode so well. So, if you can't ban them, join them. Instead of banning, go and try to make millions, if not billions of dollars. Mention the word ban to the gun community as a whole, what happens, instant buying spree. So all the powers that be load up on investments and stock in firearms companies while things are calm, say the magic word, instant profits and sell, and reap the benefits.  It's controlling/manipulating the market while avoiding the S.E.C., while making money off investments, it also prevents surplus ammo from building up in warehouses and prices from returning to pre "O" days. And at the same time, keeps people working and provide economic money flow.

Has one ever thought about the effect on the economy just firearms provides: Source Firearms and Ammunition Industry Economic Impact Report 2013 | NSSF

Not only does the manufacture and sale of firearms and hunting supplies create good jobs in the United States but the industry also contributes to the economy as a whole. In fact, in 2013 the firearms and ammunition industry was responsible for as much as $37.7 billion in total economic activity in the country.
The firearms and ammunition industry generates sizable tax revenues. In the United States the industry and its employees pay over $5.2 billion in taxes including property, income, and sales-based levies.

So 5.2 billion in taxes, ban firearms, who pays that, consumers end up footing it. Even the anti's will foot it, and I'm sure they know this. They may feel like they shouldn't, but they know it will be passed to them as well.  Now, add in back ground checks, local fees, licensing for FFL's, CCW, and court fees, and on and on..

Companies in the United States that manufacture, distribute and sell firearms, ammunition and hunting equipment employ as many as 111,895 people in the country and generate an additional 133,850 jobs in supplier and ancillary industries. These include jobs in companies supplying goods and services to manufacturers, distributors and retailers, as well as those that depend on sales to workers in the firearms and ammunition industry.

The gov't doesn't want to answer for possibly over a 1/4 million unemployed people, over a 1/4 million people who were paying taxes before the ban. Cause no one is hiring.  Now figure in how UPS, FedEx and USPS will be affected, the main shippers of firearms, ammo and accessory, in a years time, how many packages are shipped by those carriers. Dock workers unloading stuff, shipping container ships, etc, etc.....

Too ban, is a knife to the throat for money flow. But if done right, one stands to make a healthy profit manipulating the market. It's all about the dollar and how to get more of them.

Very good point Greasemonkey, the figures will always tell the truth. I knew the firearms industry put a lot of money into the economy but I had no idea it was that much! This issue is sort of like tobacco and alcoholic beverages in that respect, some people would like to see them erradicated overnight. Even if it was possible to do that with all three, it would put millions of people out of work and the economy would collapse.

Offline Lmbass14

• Enjoying another trip around the sun.
  • SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Rifleman
  • Just livin' the dream.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
Bernie,
I have heard others mention tins of x39 and 223 at Wal-mart, but I have yet to see any Tin's of ammo at the Lincoln Wal-mart's, and I even asked the very knowledgeable sales clerks in the sporting goods section.  chuckles1

Brian, The wal mart by me on 72nd street  (Papillion) and the walmart in Bellevue on Cornhusker, both have tins.  Bellevue has a better selection though.  Next time your up this way, might want to pick up a tin or 2.  I'm thinking about it, even though really don't need it.  Not a big fan of Tula.  But the AK's don't mind it.
In war, there are no winners or losers.  Just survivors. DR

Offline bbush44

• SKS-FILES CONTRIBUTOR
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Marksman
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Bernie, I'm not a huge fan of Tula either, but my AK and VZ2008's eat anything.

Offline Justin Hell

• Bubba/Purist Flip Flopper
  • BATTLEFIELD COMMISSION
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sniper
  • First Restore... Then Bubba.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but this is simply the time of year I buy ammo.

The tax refund effect might be what we are seeing right now....if you do your taxes immediately after getting the W-2's in the mail, the cash comes back pretty quickly these days.  Once the duckets are all in a row, I buy as much ammo as I can before we are living paycheck to paycheck again.  That could explain a bit of it....the Russian sanctions I am sure also play a role.

22lr is available here....but only if you stand in the aisle waiting for them to stock it.....it keeps vanishing within minutes here, which sucks if you live 45 minutes from the nearest store....even if you have a buddy alerting you...chances are, it is a waste of gas.